Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

jordville

Hall of Fame
Dakota Leffew is a 6'5 PG from Georgia (HS ball) who has been at Mount St. Mary's in Maryland for 4 years, so he is a grad transfer in the portal. This year, he was All-MAAC averaging 18 PPG, 5 RPG, 4 APG, 2 SPG while shooting 37% from three. Dakota would be a one year vet to run the point next year and wouldn't hurt our 2025 recruitments. ;)

Last edited:
This seems like the best “value” PG for us right now. Won’t break the bank.

Yeah starting to think this will be our point guard. Go get Leitao as the new assistant and get Tyler Jackson for 2025 point guard.

I think he’s a solid player, but he’s not a point guard. He’s a combo. He’s a better shooter than Gayle at least.

This seems like the best “value” PG for us right now. Won’t break the bank.
Is PG the position we're going cheaper on? Honestly thought this would be the position we ponied up for, other than center. Did Lampkin, Bell and Donnie break the bank? I think Westry got 150 last year; not sure about JJ; can't think of anyone else on the roster who could demand much for NIL.

Is PG the position we're going cheaper on? Honestly thought this would be the position we ponied up for, other than center. Did Lampkin, Bell and Donnie break the bank? I think Westry got 150 last year; not sure about JJ; can't think of anyone else on the roster who could demand much for NIL.
Not sure how “cheap” leffew is. Gonzaga and Indiana are in on him. People say sht.

Good to hear, I know nothing about this kid, just asking the question based on reading other comments.

The question with Lefew is if he can be a facilitator first and be an MCW type of PG

No, he’s a score first guy.

Understood - my point was is he capable in a facilitating role given he will have scorers around him he has never had… he has good size but was bad when he tried to be that scoring guard against better competition last year that could lock him down as a primary option. So can he morph his game… and if not honestly that would be a concern as a take.

Dang. I like it. Get this kid to start at pg, jj, Bell, Donnie, lampkin,

Westry, McLeod, two portal 3/4's, Moore, and Cuffe off the bench. Maybe sprinkle some Patterson in there for funsies. Theres your 13 schollys. An improved team from last year I'd say and competitive in the ACC for sure.

Is it this kid and Jyare Davis as good possibilities? I don’t hate it. Good small school players who will bring some value/skill that is needed. I hope they are still able to real in Reynolds if he portals. Problem is if this is the case, there is no true point guard on the team, but a bunch of combos. Might work/might not.

Dang. I like it. Get this kid to start at pg, jj, Bell, Donnie, lampkin,

Westry, McLeod, two portal 3/4's, Moore, and Cuffe off the bench. Maybe sprinkle some Patterson in there for funsies. Theres your 13 schollys. An improved team from last year I'd say and competitive in the ACC for sure.
It will be interesting to see if they take two portal 3/4 what the quality of the second would be. I wouldn’t mind a D2 5th year guy who wants a year of ACC ball with little expectations for playing time.

Not sure how “cheap” leffew is. Gonzaga and Indiana are in on him. People say sht.

Comparatively to a guy like Malik Mack, Pop Isaacs, Pedulla, Perkins, etc - and that’s just guys in the portal so far. I’d have to imagine he is cheaper.

It will be interesting to see if they take two portal 3/4 what the quality of the second would be. I wouldn’t mind a D2 5th year guy who wants a year of ACC ball with little expectations for playing time.
Agreed. Unless Westry plays a hybrid 3/alternate ball handler role like Q this year, we currently have just Freeman and Bell for forwards. Adding a kid like Jayre Davis would be great as a 3rd F, then maybe another big guy thay could play the 4/5 for some small ball off the bench? Not sure how much Red plans to play McLeod this year. I don't think McLeod should get much more than 12min a game. And it sounds like big E is a sub 30 min a game guy unless his conditioning improves. I'm sure Red has it all planned out.

Last edited:
Comparatively to a guy like Malik Mack, Pop Isaacs, Pedulla, Perkins, etc - and that’s just guys in the portal so far. I’d have to imagine he is cheaper.
Maybe but Indiana alone can drive his price up. This kid is very good but I think we need to be spending the phat cash on a true PG. Find me the modern day version of Lazarus Sims, dammit!

If teams are spending big money for Issac’s they’re dumb. He’s not very good.

One possibility is you go with a clear backup at each spot as a strategy-

C- EL, NM, WP
PF- DF, JD
SF- CB, CW,JD
SG- JJ, KC/EM
PG- DL, Hofstra kid, Westry, Brooklyn kid from Florida

That gives you maximum depth and a 6-5 scoring point who can slide to the 2 with a real PG given how good of a shooter he is and moves well off the ball if JJ is struggling and EM isn’t ready. The Hofstra kid then maybe like Davis wants to win and play big time hoops so if Chance blows up and he is the 11th man so be it. Not sure you could ever get that kind of buy in from two key starters. That said this makes Chance a complete lotto ticket where the team is solid with or without him.

Back to Lefew- if Red gets the most out of JJ to not be a black hole- then your starting lineup has ball movers in Eddie, Lefew and JJ and Donnie has shown he looks for teammates too with Bell being a quick draw and accurate. It can work… Leffew does have a nice stroke.