Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Nova is a mess- they’ve got a patched together roster right now and with Bambi leaving Leffew would have a bigger role there too just on an awful team
I think Nova is aiming for bigger fish for the starting guard spots than Leffew

Nova is a mess- they’ve got a patched together roster right now and with Bambi leaving Leffew would have a bigger role there too just on an awful team
Yep, not to mention Red did more in 1 year as a head coach than Neptune has done in 3 (2 at Nova). Neptune took over a Final 4 team. Red took over...well, you know...
Any Nova fan I know loathes him.

If Leffew wants to play at Kyle Neptune's Nova, have at it.

I think Nova is aiming for bigger fish for the starting guard spots than Leffew

Good for them- the waters aren’t fully stocked anymore and they just lost a big piece to the portal. They need a whole team unless an underwhelming recruiting class is gonna be better than expected.

Why would it look poor? Who do you think gets these jobs?

Coaches who have winning records, for starters, or who were connected to winning programs.
Or coaches with AAU connections to get recruits.

They all get jobs before guys whose Div. 1 coaching record is an average of six games below .500 every year in a low level league.

Coaches who have winning records, for starters, or who were connected to winning programs.

They all get jobs before guys whose Div. 1 coaching record is an average of six games below .500 every year in a low level league.
Have you taken a look at AHC’s at other schools?

UNC has Jeff Lebo who was under .500 at East Carolina. St. John’s has Steve Masiello from the same league as our guy and was under .500 too. I can’t think of anything that means less than their record at those schools. Red knows what his qualifications are better than anyone here.

He wasn't that bad. Copeland had 50 more truly terrible passes than JJ had last season.
You are doing the same thing the OP was, bringing another player into the discussion, and again, a player that won't be here next year. I don't care about what Judah and Copeland did last year, I care what JJ will do next year. If we play JJ at the point, who plays the 2? We need another guard and I would prefer it to be someone with a better handle and better passing instincts than JJ. I will say again, I think JJ will have a solid year, I do not think he will if forced to run the point.

What does this have to do with Judah? I like JJ and think he will hopefully have a solid year and quiet some naysayers, but I watched him throw away multiple, simple reversal passes in games this season. I do not think he can be our lead ballhandler either.

Selective memory runs deep in this thread. Here are some facts.

In 32 games, JJ had 3 or more turnovers 7 times. The most he had in any one game was 4.

Copeland also had 7 games with 3 or more turnovers. His worst games were 6 turnovers, twice.

And, finally, Judah has 17 games with 3 or more turnovers, including 7 games where he had 5 or 6 turnovers.

JJ is less prone to turnovers than the other 2 volume ball handlers we had last year.

That’s a sore subject. Tyus and family were told he would be handling the ball almost like a point. They weren’t too happy with how he was used initially.

Well... yes and no.

I think it's been misrepresented, and now the board recollection has shifted because it's been repeated so often.

IIRC, it was reported that as part of his recruiting pitch, JB indicated to the family that Battle would have the ball in his hands -- a lot. Some posters interpreted that literally, to mean: he's going to be the point guard. Based upon those comments, some argued tooth and nail in the summer / fall leading up to the season that Battle WOULD be the starting point guard, and that White would be an adequate 2.

Not surprisingly, Battle wasn't a point at that stage -- he clearly lacked both the handle and the passing mentality for that role. So instead JB started the more experienced Frank Howard [who also wasn't ready], pairing him with the disastrous wing combo of Andrew White briefly at 2 [who couldn't dribble down his chin, and averaged less than 1apg for his career at Kansas / Nebraska], and Tyler Lydon at [who could shoot like a 3, but had no other wing skills].

That lineup didn't last long. We had one of our worst non-conference performances, getting blown out of several games. By the new year, Gillon supplanted Howard at the 1, Battle shifted into the starting lineup at 2, White shifted to the 3, where he was much better suited, and Lydon shifted to 4 [with Roberson being benched].

I agree 100% that the Battle clan wasn't pleased initially with Tyus coming off the bench. Luckily, that didn't last long.

Last edited:

In 32 games, JJ had 3 or more turnovers 7 times. The most he had in any one game was 4.

Copeland also had 7 games with 3 or more turnovers. His worst games were 6 turnovers, twice.

And, finally, Judah has 17 games with 3 or more turnovers, including 7 games where he had 5 or 6 turnovers.

JJ is less prone to turnovers than the other 2 volume ball handlers we had last year.
Well, was JJ a volume ball handler? Seems like an apples to zebras comparison

Have you taken a look at AHC’s at other schools?

UNC has Jeff Lebo who was under .500 at East Carolina. St. John’s has Steve Masiello from the same league as our guy and was under .500 too. I can’t think of anything that means less than their record at those schools. Red knows what his qualifications are better than anyone here.

Any one season anything can happen to a roster. I don't hold a bad year against anybody. Even Coach K had a losing record or two.

But this is Engelstad's entire body of work as a Division 1 head coach. I think when you have a losing record, year after year after year, against mediocre competition, that's just not good enough.

Screen Shot 2024-04-17 at 2.12.15 PM copy.jpg

You are doing the same thing the OP was, bringing another player into the discussion, and again, a player that won't be here next year. I don't care about what Judah and Copeland did last year, I care what JJ will do next year. If we play JJ at the point, who plays the 2? We need another guard and I would prefer it to be someone with a better handle and better passing instincts than JJ. I will say again, I think JJ will have a solid year, I do not think he will if forced to run the point.

We WILL get another guard. We SHOULD get another forward, too.

Everyone in this thread is saying that JJ isn't good enough to play point, if he has to, when he was the most secure guy with the ball among our 3 most ball-dominant guards.

That's why people make comparisons. To try to take the subjectivity out of some of these H0T Takes.

Any one season anything can happen to a roster. I don't hold a bad year against anybody. Even Coach K had a losing record or two.

But this is Engelstad's entire body of work as a Division 1 head coach. I think when you have a losing record, year after year after year, against mediocre competition, that's just not good enough.

View attachment 240094
I know what his record was. The guys I gave you were under .500 too for their career. And going from the NEC to the MAAC is like going from the IVY to ACC.

I know what his record was. The guys I gave you were under .500 too for their career. And going from the NEC to the MAAC is like going from the IVY to ACC.

OK, fine. I'm super impressed with his hire now, knowing that Jeff Lebo isn't a good coach, either.

how many assists did JJ have?

I cant remember a single passs he made all season

meanwhile, without even trying I can think of at least 10 passes by Q and Judah

JJ's turnovers in the last 2 most important games of the year were horrific

i just want a PG and not a 5th shooting guard...for this roster...is that too much to ask?

I know I'll regret this - but this take is just too goofy.

If before the hire, someone told you that Red will hire an assistant with 6 years experience as D1 head coach who also made the NCAA Tournament, you would say "no thanks, unless he had a winning record"?

Engelstad also had a record of 104-34 at Southern Vermont. I know, D3 school so it doesn't mean anything. Did he have a traumatic brain injury since that time? Engelstad was a good enough coach to win at a 75% clip. I don't care what level you coach at, you have to know what you are doing to win like that over 5 years.

View attachment 240094
Again, we aren’t hiring him as head coach.

I don't get what you are saying. Of course he had less turnovers in a non volume ball handling role. And as far as my selective memory, I did not forget what Copeland and Judah did last year, but it doesn't make JJ a point guard and has nothing to do with the upcoming season.

If you are cool not getting another guard and rolling with JJ at point that is fine. I disagree. No worries.

We WILL get another guard. We SHOULD get another forward, too.

Everyone in this thread is saying that JJ isn't good enough to play point, if he has to, when he was the most secure guy with the ball among our 3 most ball-dominant guards.

That's why people make comparisons. To try to take the subjectivity out of some of these H0T Takes.
So it is a HOT take to not want JJ to be our point and to want him to play at his more natural position of shooting guard?

View attachment 240094

He navigated a conference upgrade, two of his players he recruited and coached went to a high major in the portal including Leffew wherever he decides.

He has experience coaching in the NCAAT and is respected by Red and by many others in the DMV region. He has HC experience to bring lessons learned to the bench. His struggles in come from upgrading conferences and losing players in the portal era.