Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Once you take Mack off the table and Reynolds is not an option either it’s combo or bust anyway honestly. We look to be adding some toughness, guys who move the ball, rebounding and finally hopefully a true alpha in Donnie. I think that puts us in a better spot if other guys improve. Curious if we add another backup PG like the Hofstra kid too.
We could be gaining a lot more experience too with three fifth year players. Old wins in college basketball today.

Definitely not bidding with the big boys but we are getting old and I think the program probably needs some stability in the maturity department so I can see some of the vision. JJ and Bell are going to need to make leaps defensively or we might need to average 85+ points. I think Davis would really help but that's not enough. Will score lots of points especially if Donnie can stretch the floor and JJ can take another step.

I hope that we keep hunting for the best wing we can get. If Bell doesn't like it, so be it. I don't think he has earned portal immunity.

Based on what I heard from someone here in DC who is connected to Mack today the numbers his camp is looking for is absurd and not worth it. I like Leffew over most options after Mack that aren’t Reynolds.
I work in MD outside of Bmore. Someone told me MD wasn’t paying that much and now you indicate that GTown with their war chest is baulking.

I work in MD outside of Bmore. Someone told me MD wasn’t paying that much and now you indicate that GTown with their war chest is baulking.
He hasn’t proved he can play at a level above the Ivy League. You dont give out the kind of money he wants without complete confidence. Too many other options. I think you check in again and say this is the best we can do. See what he’s thinking.

As a backup guard, im fine with. If starting guard, i’m concerned
Ridiculous. Okay, we don't get him. Who do we get that is better if reynolds isn't available and the Harvard kid is living in dream land? The coaches have watched a ton of film on these guys. This isn't last year. How good he will make us is a legit question. But he isn't going anywhere to be a back up. It is clear that the staff (Red) is after toughness this year. I have to say, I approve of that.

Last edited:
Mount St. Mary's to Syracuse.

That is an enormous jump. Can someone please find a similar situation where a kid from the #25 ranked conference ended up being a huge contributing factor (30+ mpg) for an NCAA at-large caliber team?

Kinda wonder if he's basically taking the position of "If you won't give me a metric ton of cash, I'll take my Harvard degree, thanks." I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to leave if I were in his shoes lol

That is an enormous jump. Can someone please find a similar situation where a kid from the #25 ranked conference ended up being a huge contributing factor (30+ mpg) for an NCAA at-large caliber team?
Walter Clayton from the MAAC on Florida. Johni Broome from the OVC at Auburn last season. Big Sky was #17 and a better league than MAAC this year but Knecht is the same idea.

From the MAAC last year you had Walter Clayton Jr, Daniss Jenkins, Noah Thomasson, Supreme Cook, and Javian McCollum all make the jump to high major and have solid seasons. There are definitely some concerns with the level increase but I think Leffew has the tools that can translate given his size and he appears to also have a nice first step.

Ridiculous. Okay, we don't get him. Who do we get that is better if reynolds isn't available and the Hardvard kid is living in dream land? The coaches have watched a ton of film on these guys. This isn't last year. How good he will make us is a legit question. But he isn't going anywhere to be a back up. It is clear that the staff (Red) is after toughness this year. I have to say, I approve of that.
I’m not saying we are aiming for Reynolds and Mack but this seems like a settle for starting pg (and most important need to be successful next year). I could be wrong but he wasn’t super impressive in the game vs Gtown I saw earlier in the year esp since he’s not a pure PG

One of the reasons the Oregon St kid is the much better option. Played high level competition every night. Get Stevie Thompson on line one!

Walter Clayton from the MAAC on Florida. Johni Broome from the OVC at Auburn last season. Big Sky was #17 and a better league than MAAC this year but Knecht is the same idea.
Of course. Jimmy Boylan went from d-2 Assumption to the starting pt guard for Marq and won a NC. That doesn't mean this is the guy. But good players that have blown up can come from almost anywhere.

I don’t know if they are hesitant just that his camp is looking for money above what any solid second year Ivy League PG should be asking for. He’s a good second year player with a lot of potential but there are flaws in his game too and he’s by no means a proven commodity over the other PG options having just one year under his belt as a high usage PG for a middle of the pack Ivy program to be asking for big time money.

The comment of asking for high dollar or keeping his Ivy degree makes sense but think this kid wants to chase a hoops career most.

I’m not saying we are aiming for Reynolds and Mack but this seems like a settle for starting pg (and most important need to be successful next year). I could be wrong but he wasn’t super impressive in the game vs Gtown I saw earlier in the year esp since he’s not a pure PG

His early games he was transitioning to being a PG which includes the MD game. Definitely got more comfortable and improved a lot as year went on including in how he played against good comp.

Definitely not bidding with the big boys but we are getting old and I think the program probably needs some stability in the maturity department so I can see some of the vision. JJ and Bell are going to need to make leaps defensively or we might need to average 85+ points. I think Davis would really help but that's not enough. Will score lots of points especially if Donnie can stretch the floor and JJ can take another step.

I hope that we keep hunting for the best wing we can get. If Bell doesn't like it, so be it. I don't think he has earned portal immunity.
I believe Moore will have an impact the first day he steps onto the Melo Center floor. He will play as a frosh - he's a gifted shooter joining a team in dire need of perimeter shooting. Same with Leffew who can also shoot. Very solid pick up if we can get him.

Last edited:
Assuming we get Davis, I would prefer Jaquan Carlos. Just think a pass first PG would fit in better with all the scorers we will have on the team.

But this kid would IMHO be an upgrade at PG from last season. I would be on board if this happens.

Assuming we get Davis, I would prefer Jaquan Carlos. Just think a pass first PG would fit in better with all the scorers we will have on the team.

But this kid would IMHO be an upgrade at PG from last season. I would be on board if this happens.
I agree on the pass first, but I do like the size and shooting that Leffew would provide. Having another serious 3 pt weapon would be huge.

Mack is not in SU’s budget according to people who might know. So forget about him and anyone else who will be close to a million.
hearing the same, how much is Lampkin getting?

I agree on the pass first, but I do like the size and shooting that Leffew would provide. Having another serious 3 pt weapon would be huge.
There are pros and cons with all the guys we are looking at.

Believe Dakota led the league in shot attempted, which is going to need to change some.

But hearing he made the transition to PG last season, and improved steadily as the season progressed makes me feel better about things.

Here is the blurb about him in a release the MAAC made about their all conference selections. He was a dominant force in the league.

After being named to the Preseason First Team, Leffew picked up his first career postseason All-MAAC honor with his first team selection. The senior guard from Hampton, GA, recorded a stat line of 17.4 points, 4.2 rebounds, 3.9 assists, and 1.6 steals while logging 35.5 minutes of action per game, the highest minutes per game average in the league during 2023-24. Leffew’s points per game average was the third best in the conference, he averaged the fifth-most assists per game, and he was tied for sixth in steals average. His 433 field goal attempts led the league and he also ranked sixth in three-pointers made per outing with 2.4 a game.