Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Straughn watches an insane amount of film and does a lot of scouting from what I've heard. Staff definitely knows what each target is.

With the guys we look like we might be getting I think it’s worth putting a bit of stock in this. Analytics and film all the way to situational analysis too. To run the type of offense Red wants to you need guys who can play on and off the ball effectively and move the ball. You also want guys who complement each other on both ends. Obviously you then have options A,B and C trying to fill open spots as part of all that analysis. That said, there are pieces here where you can see how things work with creating space to attack and creating open shots for shooters while also defending as such to make it difficult to operate in the paint while having length to stretch out on shooters.

We shall see but so far I can start to see how it all makes sense and how they are trying to fit things together

Lol, off the top of my head, the Michigan State PG came from Northeastern. How about Dalton Knecht from Tennessee (formerly Northern Colorado)? He was one of the best players in college basketball all season. Grant Nelson, the center from Alabama (formerly North Dakota) who’s playing tonight in the Final Four. There are literally former mid major guys on every team who have made similar leaps. Will he score 20ppg? Probably not. But we don’t need him to.
It was a question. Thank you for providing names.

I would argue a bit that the MAAC this year, and the team Leffew played for, is much worse than any of the others played on. But that's semantics.

Hope its a fit. Hope he does great, and forces me to eat crow.

Of course. Jimmy Boylan went from d-2 Assumption to the starting pt guard for Marq and won a NC. That doesn't mean this is the guy. But good players that have blown up can come from almost anywhere.
Duncan Robinson played at D2 Williams College. John Beilein heard about him and brought him to Michigan. They made a Final Four. And now Robinson starts for the Miami Heat.

Duncan Robinson played at D2 Williams College. John Beilein heard about him and brought him to Michigan. They made a Final Four. And now Robinson starts for the Miami Heat.
Evaluating hundreds and hundreds of players and then trying to project them into roles at a higher level and playing among all new teammates...probably not all that easy. I would imagine they create a "job description" for each player on the floor and probably for each of the 13 spots on the team. Then, they try to fill each spot with a player that most closely fills the responsibilities of each of those spots. At least, that's how I would approach it. Also, it would NEVER work out that you find the perfect fit for each of those roles, so you have to have gray areas. On top of that...you HAVE to take some guys because their talent supersedes any of the required skills laid out in the "job description". So, bottom line, let's cut them some slack, because they are putting in the work and doing their best to put together a competitive roster. And, it is best to be working in stealth mode.

The staff has piled over film. You may disagree with them. But let's be honest. They know a lot more about the game than you and me. And if this is the kid they believe in, I have to go with them. And other big name schools are after the kid. I wanted Reynolds badly. If it is this kid, I'm on board.
I think the staff should get the benefit of the doubt on personnel, so far.
Patterson, tbd.
McLeod- mixed bag. Some good, some bad. Overall sub-par, but was injured. A rushed pickup, due to Jesse’s move after it was believed he was staying. I give Red a pass on this one.
Freeman- MdD AA. Lots of praise from the scouts at the practice week. Some said he could play himself into the Lottery. Next prototypical SU forward. Would not be here if JB was here.
Moore- top 100, maybe should be higher. Could be the 2nd shooter (after Bell) we need.
Lampkin- brings a proven skill set that we haven’t had in a while. I can’t wait to have a center who can play Bully-ball. He may have cost us Brown, but that allowed us to keep Bell, whose skills are more important in today’s game. In fairness, on a better team, Brown would be a greatly appreciated supporting player, and not a depended on star. He is a great complimentary piece on a really good team. I wish he would stay. Would likely start at the 4 as a senior.

One pre-season poll had SU #10 in part because of the 3 new guys. (Unclear if they had Judah still with us.)

The portal is a crap shoot. Someone has to want us, and we can’t compete with some other schools for gunslingers by throwing outrageous money at them. I am confident the staff will land the best fits they can, given those constraints.

Also, it is still unclear what Red’s ideal roster and playing style look like.

Personally, I am more curious about the next assistant than I am the remaining portals. That will have a more long range impact in recruiting and success than this portal group.

Lol, off the top of my head, the Michigan State PG came from Northeastern. How about Dalton Knecht from Tennessee (formerly Northern Colorado)? He was one of the best players in college basketball all season. Grant Nelson, the center from Alabama (formerly North Dakota) who’s playing tonight in the Final Four. There are literally former mid major guys on every team who have made similar leaps. Will he score 20ppg? Probably not. But we don’t need him to.
The fact that lots of folks may be involved tells you he has been noticed before now. That says a lot.

There is irony that all season people kept talking about Dalton Knecht as if the dude grows on trees, and how that's what we need, and now we're looking at a dude that has a similar background to Knecht in terms of program and conference level, and some folks are really skeptical.

I don't know. I'll be excited for the season regardless of who we have.

Evaluating hundreds and hundreds of players and then trying to project them into roles at a higher level and playing among all new teammates...probably not all that easy. I would imagine they create a "job description" for each player on the floor and probably for each of the 13 spots on the team. Then, they try to fill each spot with a player that most closely fills the responsibilities of each of those spots. At least, that's how I would approach it. Also, it would NEVER work out that you find the perfect fit for each of those roles, so you have to have gray areas. On top of that...you HAVE to take some guys because their talent supersedes any of the required skills laid out in the "job description". So, bottom line, let's cut them some slack, because they are putting in the work and doing their best to put together a competitive roster. And, it is best to be working in stealth mode.

Job descriptions for each player:

1 - be very good.
2 - be really good.
3 - be good.
4 - be good.
5 - be good.
6 - be decent.
7 - be decent.
8 - be decent.
9 - don’t suck.
10 - don’t suck.
11 - don’t suck.
12 - flyer.
13 - project.

Ideally we get more than 1 each in the very good really good categories.

Which means we then have good players down deeper into the rotation.

Like Cuse teams of old.

This is kinda why I’m wondering if our interest in Carlos is real or if we were merely one of the many programs to reach out but it was never serious. We now know the interest in Leffew is real. I don’t really see how you could watch Leffew and Carlos and think they’re both what you’re looking for at the PG spot. Their approach to the game, strengths, and weaknesses are completely different from one another. It just doesn’t really square unless they weren’t actually being looked at for the same spot.

If Leffew is our guy, we'd look like the zone Syracuse teams with huge guards denying space.

The motion offense needs quick decisions, crisp passing, and good hard cuts to open spots on the court and to the basket.

I really like Lampkin, because even though he's slow (seems almost to have a limp running full speed in the video I watched), he's nimble and he's decisive with the ball.

Put a post threat like Lampkin with Leffew, Starling, Bell and Freeman around the perimeter, somebody who's able to make a three is going to get an open shot every possession.

If Leffew is able to penetrate, find the open guy, and hit the open three, he'll be enough.

Plus, he's a decent rebounder, and active in getting steals (1.5) and blocks (.6), both traits Red seems to appreciate.

He wasn't the point guard for half of the minutes he was out on the court. Another kid on the MSM team brought the ball up with pressure. He played off guard.

He is not a typical point guard. He is a combo guard. Everyone is clamoring for a PG, and he isn't that. His handle and slight build also have me worried about how he will hold up against much stronger competition.

Again, I am just worried. He isn't a bad player. Just think we shouldn't settle given how important this position is.
I hear what you are saying but if Red is pursuing him, then my guess would be he is not viewing it as settling.

Just got done watching a full game, to see Dakota Leffew in action. I'm more excited about this prospect after watching live game action [instead of just highlights].

IMO, it's much more informative / more accurate to gauge a player's capabilities watching them play extended minutes instead of trying to form an opinion based only on plays that turn out favorably.

Here are some quick observations:

The Good
  • Exponentially better shooter than Judah, with range beyond the three point line.
  • Pretty mechanics on his jump shoot.
  • Also scores from mid-range -- further evidence that he's a smooth jump shooter.
  • He's a tall guard -- probably 6-5 or so.
  • Slick handle.
  • Creates for himself and others off of the bounce.
  • Very instinctive passer who sees the floor well.
  • Athletic and quick.
  • Great feel for up-fakes, step throughs, using shot fakes to get defenders on their heels.
  • Takes it to the rim decisively.
  • Scores with either hand.
  • Great first step.

The [Potentially] Bad
  • Slight of build. Tall but very lanky.
  • Best player on a bad team with a poor record.
  • Will his game / scoring prowess translate to the ACC?
  • Nifty ball-handler / passer, but not sure if he's a true PG.
  • Seems to be a quality defender, but again -- level of competition is a factor.

Overall, I like the kid's game. It's unclear to me whether he can be a full time point guard, but he is a good ball-handler and a very good passer. And it might not matter if he's a straight up lead guard, if he's playing alongside a Westry or JJ, who can share some of the ball-handling responsibilities. So he might be adequate as a 1 [he is certainly more than adequate as a passer, at least at the level he was playing].

Much better shooter than either Judah or JJ, which would be a welcome change. Very smooth jump shot with range. Also adept at taking it into the lane and pulling up for mid-range shots, which he gets off easily due to his height.

I think he'd be able to help us, whether as a starter or a backup. Kid has a good feel for the game, has the quicks / handle to blow past defenders, and takes it to the hole aggressively. Leffew demonstrated a good feel for the game, which many players don't seem to have. When you can play, you can play.

Feel like he's one of those small school guys who is "better" than his level of competition -- but really, here are the million dollar questions:
  • If he's so good, why wasn't his team better?
  • Will his game translate to a P5 conference?
If it does, we may have a gem. Assuming he can hold up physically -- he's very slight [kind of built like a Brycen Goodine, maybe not quite that skinny] -- and guard P5 players.

But I can see why Red and the staff might be viewing a guy like this as someone who can help us, without breaking the NIL bank. Frankly, I'm surprised he's not garnering more attention -- kid looks pretty good... much better than several of the higher profile PG's in the portal that some posters are clamoring for.

How good? TBD.

Last edited:
Just got done watching a full game, to see Dakota Leffew in action. I'm more excited about this prospect after watching live game action [instead of just highlights].

IMO, it's much more informative / more accurate to gauge a player's capabilities watching them play extended minutes instead of trying to form an opinion based only on plays that turn out favorably.

Here are some quick observations:

The Good
  • Exponentially better shooter than Judah, with range beyond the three point line.
  • Pretty mechanics on his jump shoot.
  • Also scores from mid-range -- further evidence that he's a smooth jump shooter.
  • He's a tall guard -- probably 6-5 or so.
  • Slick handle.
  • Creates for himself and others off of the bounce.
  • Very instinctive passer who sees the floor well.
  • Athletic and quick.
  • Great feel for up-fakes, step throughs, using shot fakes to get defenders on their heels.
  • Takes it to the rim decisively.
  • Scores with either hand.
  • Great first step.

The [Potentially] Bad
  • Slight of build. Tall but very lanky.
  • Best player on a bad team with a poor record.
  • Will his game / scoring prowess translate to the ACC?
  • Nifty ball-handler / passer, but not sure if he's a true PG.
  • Seems to be a quality defender, but again -- level of competition is a factor.

Overall, I like the kid's game. It's unclear to me whether he can be a full time point guard, but he is a good ball-handler and a very good passer. And it might not matter if he's a straight up lead guard, if he's playing alongside a Westry or JJ, who can share some of the ball-handling responsibilities. So he might be adequate as a 1 [he is certainly more than adequate as a passer, at least at the level he was playing].

Much better shooter than either Judah or JJ, which would be a welcome change. Very smooth jump shot with range. Also adept at taking it into the lane and pulling up for mid-range shots, which he gets off easily due to his height.

I think he'd be able to help us, whether as a starter or a backup. Kid has a good feel for the game, has the quicks / handle to blow past defenders, and takes it to the hole aggressively. Leffew demonstrated a good feel for the game, which many players don't seem to have. When you can play, you can play.

Feel like he's one of those small school guys who is "better" than his level of competition -- but really, here are the million dollar questions:
  • If he's so good, why wasn't his team better?
  • Will his game translate to a P5 conference?
If it does, we may have a gem. Assuming he can hold up physically -- he's very slight [kind of built like a Brycen Goodine, maybe not quite that skinny] -- and guard P5 players.

But I can see why Red and the staff might be viewing a guy like this as someone who can help us, without breaking the NIL bank. Frankly, I'm surprised he's not garnering more attention -- kid looks pretty good... much better than several of the higher profile PG's in the portal that some posters are clamoring for.

How good? TBD.
Reminded me of MCW+a jumper.

Honestly, a combo of Leffew and Carlos wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I quietly hoped for this but just imagine it’s not too likely.. even though neither would block 25 recruits

I agree. It would be great if Autry could somehow convince him to be the backup PG.
I don't see a starting PG with one year of eligibility left deciding to come to Syracuse to be a backup.

Maybe if we take his sister hostage or his girlfriend is a student here and he loves Dino BBQ....