Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

So Knecht blows these two out of the water against top 150 opponents. Then again, he was a national player of the year candidate last season. We’re not expecting either one of these guys to be that. I’m fine with Davis as a backup forward. Not sure what to think about Leffew as our starting PG.
That's where I'm at as well. Would love to have Leffew if he were coming off the bench as the 6th man that can fill in at either guard spot. He's much more experienced as an off-ball guard so I would prefer if that was his main role. Just feels like a lot of risk involved penciling him in as the primary ball handler/creator but that's why the coaches get paid the big bucks and I sit here and watch. I'd also feel better if we could get someone like Jaquan Carlos to come in as a backup too because he at least has plenty of experience running the point and seemingly running it the way Red wants to.

Give Dasher credit here. He was the first to say that the staff was really targeting Leffew. Leffew was definitely in the small circle of guards they wanted. The staff got one of their guys, we will all see how it works out. Watching Bones Hyland last night reminded skinny guys can ball too.
Yup. The one thing you learn hanging about this board is that when Dasher says something, you should listen. Even if it is something you don't want to hear.

He gets it right. A lot.

Dash, appreciate you tolerating all us boneheads who reject what you say and chase windmills at the drop of a hat.

You the man.

The following players came from the MAAC in 22-23 and had success this year at a power 6 school this year:

Daniss Jenkins: Iona to St. Johns-similar profile to Leffew
Noah Thomasson: Niagara to Georgia-again similar to Leffew
Walter Clayton: Iona to Florida-Better than Leffew
Javian McCollum-Siena to Oklahoma: Similar to Leffew
Supreme Cook: Fairfield to Georgetown...Georgetown sucked, but he was good
Jaylen Murray: St Peter's to Ole Miss

There really weren't any guys out of the top 15 scorers in the MAAC that didn't succeed elsewhere. Leffew probably could had transferred last offseason. He was one of the few top 20 scorers in the MAAC who had eligibility left that did not transfer. Obviously I hope we have better success than all the schools above, but most of those guys above were brought in to be the best players at their new school. Leffew will be asked to be one of a bunch of other guys. The season probably rests on how much Bell and Starling improve more than anything.

Geez. Six years as head coach and never a winning record. Averages 6 games a year under .500.
At MSM, you are correct.

If you add in his years at SVT, he averages 3 games a year over .500.

Similar to my comments on the assistant coach, all season didn't we say we wanted to poach talent from smaller conferences? Now that we are going to, people are skeptical because they're not ranked highly in "transfer portal rankings" ?

Yup. The one thing you learn hanging about this board is that when Dasher says something, you should listen. Even if it is something you don't want to hear.

He gets it right. A lot.

Dash, appreciate you tolerating all us boneheads who reject what you say and chase windmills at the drop of a hat.

You the man.
What is the range of NIL being offered to Leffew? Ballpark?

What is the range of NIL being offered to Leffew? Ballpark?
Dr Evil GIF by Product Hunt

So Knecht blows these two out of the water against top 150 opponents. Then again, he was a national player of the year candidate last season. We’re not expecting either one of these guys to be that. I’m fine with Davis as the main backup forward. Not sure what to think about Leffew as our starting PG.
I just hate the comparison to Knecht that was my push back on the statement. athis is where Im at as with leffew: could be a good player here I suspect overall he will be, im just not sure on the point guard ability.

Similar to my comments on the assistant coach, all season didn't we say we wanted to poach talent from smaller conferences? Now that we are going to, people are skeptical because they're not ranked highly in "transfer portal rankings" ?

I don’t believe I’ve seen one post in here being skeptical due to rankings. I believe I’ve seen many insightful posts breaking down metrics, his performances vs better comp, his teams metrics, etc

I don’t believe I’ve seen one post in here being skeptical due to rankings. I believe I’ve seen many insightful posts breaking down metrics, his performances vs better comp, his teams metrics, etc
Yeah exactly. I just want the best talent that fits what we need the best. I dont care if they’re a transfer, a high school kid, a penguin from Madagascar. Just give me talent that fits what we’re doing.

That's where I'm at as well. Would love to have Leffew if he were coming off the bench as the 6th man that can fill in at either guard spot. He's much more experienced as an off-ball guard so I would prefer if that was his main role. Just feels like a lot of risk involved penciling him in as the primary ball handler/creator but that's why the coaches get paid the big bucks and I sit here and watch. I'd also feel better if we could get someone like Jaquan Carlos to come in as a backup too because he at least has plenty of experience running the point and seemingly running it the way Red wants to.

That's how I see Moore.

From Leffew's perspective I think we make a lot of sense because he likely has pro aspirations, realizes he needs more exposure with a higher level team against higher level competition, and to prove out that he projects as a point guard.

Well, we can offer all of that, plus our NIL will certainly be an increase from where he's at.

It's a good match up. Assuming Leffew comes, I think this is the kind of portal action that's good to see (unless you're a fan of his previous program. Sucks to be you.)

The following players came from the MAAC in 22-23 and had success this year at a power 6 school this year:

Daniss Jenkins: Iona to St. Johns-similar profile to Leffew
Noah Thomasson: Niagara to Georgia-again similar to Leffew
Walter Clayton: Iona to Florida-Better than Leffew
Javian McCollum-Siena to Oklahoma: Similar to Leffew
Supreme Cook: Fairfield to Georgetown...Georgetown sucked, but he was good
Jaylen Murray: St Peter's to Ole Miss

There really weren't any guys out of the top 15 scorers in the MAAC that didn't succeed elsewhere. Leffew probably could had transferred last offseason. He was one of the few top 20 scorers in the MAAC who had eligibility left that did not transfer. Obviously I hope we have better success than all the schools above, but most of those guys above were brought in to be the best players at their new school. Leffew will be asked to be one of a bunch of other guys. The season probably rests on how much Bell and Starling improve more than anything.
and is Westry healthy & living up to his potential

Hopefully he becomes pass first, not really looking forward to another guy coming in to hog the ball and try to make this year a personal NBA audition.

It’s ironic that four of these schools have all been ranked ahead of us. It’s strange that they must not recognize talent too?
To be fair, we don't know what role they are looking at him for. But, I agree with your point, I consider him to be an asset and he will strengthen our roster.

It’s ironic that four of these schools have all been ranked ahead of us. It’s strange that they must not recognize talent too?
Well, 5 of the 6 teams including us weren't in the tourney last year. Not sure if that's the angle you want to take.

Kids a stud. Idc what anyone says. Look around there are big time players in the tourney from small schools or transferred from small schools all over. Dalton Knecht says hello. Talent translates regardless of what size D1 school you are.

Seems it’s a mixed bag. Watching tape
I like him a lot more than his metrics. That’s my take on it especially when you get past his earliest games where we was thrust into the PG position.

It’s also tricky because his toughest opponents came early on during the year vs later when he really settled into the position more. A lot of factors going into it which I am sure the staff was zeroed in on too.