Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Clearly you haven’t watched any of him play instead just being whiny because you want Mack. Leffew is nothing like Judah
I would say Judah showed more in terms of passing, ball-handling, and maybe scoring and obviously did it against much better competition. Leffew is undoubtedly a better 3 point shooter though and that gap could outweigh everything else. Also entirely possible that with an offseason to work on it, the flashes of creating for teammates becomes more than just flashes. Also wouldn't take much to be an upgrade defensively. Lastly, if Leffew is able to handle point guard duties effectively, his experience playing off-ball should be a nice added bonus too; Judah wasn't really helping the team when he didn't have the ball in his hands, whereas Leffew will at minimum provide better spacing when off the ball and is a willing cutter.

I would say Judah showed more in terms of passing, ball-handling, and maybe scoring and obviously did it against much better competition. Leffew is undoubtedly a better 3 point shooter though and that gap could outweigh everything else. Also entirely possible that with an offseason to work on it, the flashes of creating for teammates becomes more than just flashes. Also wouldn't take much to be an upgrade defensively. Lastly, if Leffew is able to handle point guard duties effectively, his experience playing off-ball should be a nice added bonus too; Judah wasn't really helping the team when he didn't have the ball in his hands, whereas Leffew will at minimum provide better spacing when off the ball and is a willing cutter.

Judah was more talent than accomplishment unfortunately and hit or miss on defense. Had he showcased that skillset more consistently it would be much harder to compare the two giving Judah a big edge. Judah was his own worst enemy against the strongest competition on the schedule unfortunately too.

Consistency in both commitment to being a facilitator, staying in front of his man on D and better shooting gives Leffew a chance to be a better fit and overall a better team. Obviously nothing is guaranteed. Making a big leap to close the skill gap over the summer and even better.

Great points on off the ball movement too- that’s and under mentioned value add for a converted PG

Last edited:
Leffew had a bunch of really nice cuts to the basket in his highlight package... Lampkin is going to get more assists this season with Leffew cutting off him.

Any chance that Syracuse asks Leffew to scrimmage against our guys who are on campus while on his visit to get a better idea how he would fit in with the team and help determine how much NIL to offer?
No. Not a chance. Plus, who exactly would he scrimmage with? Lampkin? Not here. Freeman? Not here. Moore? Not here. You want him to shoot around with Bell and JJ? Also, while we really want him, he isn't totally in to us, yet.

Any chance that Syracuse asks Leffew to scrimmage against our guys who are on campus while on his visit to get a better idea how he would fit in with the team and help determine how much NIL to offer?
That's against NCAA rules.

We hired his coach and he's a maybe?
We don't know anything.

It could be that Red only wants Leffew because his guy, the one he wanted to be his assistant coach, said that Leffew was really good and we should get him.

Dakota Leffew is a 6'5 PG from Georgia (HS ball) who has been at Mount St. Mary's in Maryland for 4 years, so he is a grad transfer in the portal. This year, he was All-MAAC averaging 18 PPG, 5 RPG, 4 APG, 2 SPG while shooting 37% from three. Dakota would be a one year vet to run the point next year and wouldn't hurt our 2025 recruitments. ;)

Compare jordville's info on Leffew with Mack.

It doesn’t seem to me that that there should be that much discussion about possible PG’s with Mack having three years remaining. What does promote dialogue is that he may want NIL $ and a lot of it:

From Harvard:

“Mack averaged 17.2 points, 4 rebounds, and 4.8 assists per game in his first season of collegiate basketball, placing him third in the nation in points-per-game amongst freshmen.

While the decision to enter the portal does not mean that Mack will definitely choose to leave Harvard, it comes after months of speculation that the standout freshman guard will look to a program in a bigger conference that embraces NIL payments, where he could likely make six figures.

Mack did not respond to a request for comment on Tuesday. A spokesperson for Harvard athletics also did not respond to a comment request.”

No. Not a chance. Plus, who exactly would he scrimmage with? Lampkin? Not here. Freeman? Not here. Moore? Not here. You want him to shoot around with Bell and JJ? Also, while we really want him, he isn't totally in to us, yet.
This doesn’t sound like a done deal. Obviously, there’s still work to do. This is why you never close doors on other players. Same thing happens to future recruits. This is why you focus on the now and not what might happen next year.

1712874744678.gif

A very smart coach is able to do both. Plan for both now and the future.
I would hope so, but it doesn’t always workout the way you want it to. Good on Red for not just focusing on certain players, but has a few on his list. We’ve been burned too many times when JB focused on one player. I hope Leffew works out. I like what he brings to the table. It looks like the door has closed on Mack.

Interesting. UGA would like as he played so well against them. Not on the list among area teams needing guards: UMd and Gtown. He stunk against them.

Interesting. UGA would like as he played so well against them. Not on the list among area teams needing guards: UMd and Gtown. He stunk against them.

And he played his first games against major competition as a PG early on against them.. his first and third game. By UGA he settled into his role more.

That's against NCAA rules.
Not sure if its against the rules or not, but during the portal era, its a known thing that coaches have been putting transfer recruits through workouts and including them in pickup games with the players on their visits.

Seriously. This is Bizarre. Early in the portal season, people were saying it was gonna be us and Maryland vying for Malik Mack. Now we can’t even convince a kid from Mt St Mary’s to play here, even after we hire his coach? If we can’t do that, how are we gonna have enough juice to land Tyler Jackson, Nigel James or one of these other highly rated high school PGs in 2025? This kid wants to go to Villanova? Wow, have fun with that and the struggling Kyle Neptune who’s turned Nova from a Cadillac into a broken-down Ford Fiesta.

Last edited:
I have no inside information but there is literally no way we don’t get this kid.

We signed his former HC and then he’s visiting that weekend? If we don’t get him it’s going to be a pretty bad look for Red, at least the optics.

So apparently he has some other visits planned after ours...

Which is a little concerning in the first place he had to know his coach was coming here to be on the staff but still felt the need to schedule other visits. Seems everything is lined up for easy recruitment but something is off. Kid wasn't sold on Red or Kid wasn't sold on Syracuse or Kid didn't really love his previous college coach? Or he is playing us for the biggest bag he can get or using other schools to try and get a bigger bag from us.

It’s ironic that four of these schools have all been ranked ahead of us. It’s strange that they must not recognize talent too?
If he’s a backup guard I’m ecstatic, too bad all indications are that he is being looked at as a starting guard. If you liked watching this years PG play then you’ll be thrilled.
I find the amount of hand-wringing, second guessing and outright shade towards Leffew astonishing? I'm no scout but I know basketball and recognize talent when I see it. Since learning he was a target, I've studied Leffew a little, watched a full game and I think the kid is nice. He'd be a major upgrade over last season's PG.

Leffew is a burgeoning talent growing into his new position. Prototypical height, good athleticism. A heady, willing passer - I saw a few beautiful assists get blown by his less-talented teammates. He demonstrates a good basketball IQ. His handle is solid and he's a good, borderline great shooter with solid, natural form. Rebounds well for a guard and while not outstanding on D, he defends with effort/anticipation and displays active hands.

Leffew would be a huge improvement over last season's PG, imho. I just hope he signs with SU. He'd be a big get for Red. I look forward to seeing his further development. A solid showing his final collegiate year - in the tougher ACC - could put him in the conversation for next year's draft.