Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Which is a little concerning in the first place he had to know his coach was coming here to be on the staff but still felt the need to schedule other visits. Seems everything is lined up for easy recruitment but something is off. Kid wasn't sold on Red or Kid wasn't sold on Syracuse or Kid didn't really love his previous college coach? Or he is playing us for the biggest bag he can get or using other schools to try and get a bigger bag from us.
Jesse is that you?

Seriously. This is Bizarre. Early in the portal season, people were saying it was gonna be us and Maryland vying for Malik Mack. Now we can’t even convince a kid from Mt St Mary’s to play here, even after we hire his coach? If we can’t do that, how are we gonna land Tyler Jackson, Nigel James or one of these other highly rated high school PGs in 2025? This kid wants to go to Villanova? Wow, have fun with that and the struggling Kyle Neptune who’s turned Nova from a Cadillac into a broken-down Ford Fiesta.
Relax. First, the hiring of his coach is not related to this kid coming to Syracuse. It turns out that Red has known this guy for years. Second, no one has said that this kid isn't coming here and is going to Nova. Let's see what happens here this weekend. This kid is making an important decision on his life. Let's give him space to make it.

Relax. First, the hiring of his coach is not related to this kid coming to Syracuse. It turns out that Red has known this guy for years. Second, no one has said that this kid isn't coming here and is going to Nova. Let's see what happens here this weekend. This kid is making an important decision on his life. Let's give him space to make it.
I seriously wonder if some posters have met any of the coaches or players in real life. Red is a class act and accessible, and I believe he knows the score. Whether it works or not he’s fully immersed and I wish him and the program the best, great dude. To get 20wins from some of the knuckleheads and be discreet is a testament to his character.
Go Cuse!

Leffew is a burgeoning talent growing into his new position. Prototypical height, good athleticism. A heady, willing passer - I saw a few beautiful assists get blown by his less-talented teammates. He demonstrates a good basketball IQ. His handle is solid and he's a good, borderline great shooter with solid, natural form. Rebounds well for a guard and while not outstanding on D, he defends with effort/anticipation and displays active hands.
From what I saw, his step back three is a weapon and he can still get that off against ACC competition.

I find the amount of hand-wringing, second guessing and outright shade towards Leffew astonishing? I'm no scout but I know basketball and recognize talent when I see it. Since learning he was a target, I've studied Leffew a little, watched a full game and I think the kid is nice. He'd be a major upgrade over last season's PG.

Leffew is a burgeoning talent growing into his new position. Prototypical height, good athleticism. A heady, willing passer - I saw a few beautiful assists get blown by his less-talented teammates. He demonstrates a good basketball IQ. His handle is solid and he's a good, borderline great shooter with solid, natural form. Rebounds well for a guard and while not outstanding on D, he defends with effort/anticipation and displays active hands.

Leffew would be a huge improvement over last season's PG, imho. I just hope he signs with SU. He'd be a big get for Red. I look forward to seeing his further development. A solid showing his final collegiate year - in the tougher ACC - could put him in the conversation for next year's draft.
I hope you’re right but a 5th year rental senior who is still learning a position while also moving to a much better conference with much better players is not exactly confidence inspiring. I don’t understand why it’s so hard for the staff to get a real, proven and learned PG. the team doesn’t need an NBA talent, it needs a PG who can find guys and play defense.

Last edited:
From what I saw, his step back three is a weapon and he can still get that off against ACC competition.
Step back threes when you're under control and you have the defender on ice skates with the threat of dribble penetration... Leffew had several very nice movers like that in his highlight package.

I just don't want to see any of the spin around jump backwards 18 footers unless there's 1 second on the shot clock. They make nice highlights, but the 90% of the time you miss, it is as good as a turnover.

First, I don't care about his coach being an assistant. He'll either be good or not. Assistants come and go.

But I was told to not worry about not getting Mack because he was way too costly (totally makes sense) and that Red would have always multiple options in terms of solving our lead guard issue.

I don't even particularly like Leffew as the "solve", but the fact that he isn't a lock is concerning.

Again, I think there needs to be more demand for expectations of winning this year vs waiting until next year or the year after.

Again, I love Red. Been following him since high school. He's one of my favorite Cuse players ever. But this program has been mired in mediocrity for a long time. At some point, the excuses have to end. We need a lead guard that can make us good. I don't care about some 2025 high school kid that might come here that's worrying about his junior prom at the moment.

This doesn’t sound like a done deal. Obviously, there’s still work to do. This is why you never close doors on other players. Same thing happens to future recruits. This is why you focus on the now and not what might happen next year.

We don't always agree (sometimes we do, sometimes we don't), but I am 100% lock step with you on this. It's go time, now.

First, I don't care about his coach being an assistant. He'll either be good or not. Assistants come and go.

But I was told to not worry about not getting Mack because he was way too costly (totally makes sense) and that Red would have always multiple options in terms of solving our lead guard issue.

I don't even particularly like Leffew as the "solve", but the fact that he isn't a lock is concerning.

Again, I think there needs to be more demand for expectations of winning this year vs waiting until next year or the year after.

Again, I love Red. Been following him since high school. He's one of my favorite Cuse players ever. But this program has been mired in mediocrity for a long time. At some point, the excuses have to end. We need a lead guard that can make us good. I don't care about some 2025 high school kid that might come here that's worrying about his junior prom at the moment.
Unless donors are ready to shell out big dollars you take what you can get. This has nothing to do with a player being a fit or liking the coaches or the facilities. This has to do with a young man getting a chance for a huge pay day and he has up to 4 years to do it so you will see players enter the free agency portal once a year for four years. There may be other factors, a player like Judah came from a well to do family. Some kids want to stay local, some want to experience another part of the country but almost all of the good player, the difference makers, aren't coming to your team unless you pay them the top dollar.

Unless donors are ready to shell out big dollars you take what you can get. This has nothing to do with a player being a fit or liking the coaches or the facilities. This has to do with a young man getting a chance for a huge pay day and he has up to 4 years to do it so you will see players enter the free agency portal once a year for four years. There may be other factors, a player like Judah came from a well to do family. Some kids want to stay local, some want to experience another part of the country but almost all of the good player, the difference makers, aren't coming to your team unless you pay them the top dollar.
Outside of Kansas the best teams aren't just throwing money at top talent to be good. They are building good rosters with recruiting and supplementing through the portal. UConn got Newton and Cam Spencer in the portal to supplement the guys they recruited. Knowing this board I doubt anyone would have been excited if those were guys we targeted the past few years. It's about fit more than just finding the biggest name.

If we're going to be a mediocre program, all good.

But the excuses have to end at some point. If Leffew is great and blows up, awesome. But at some point Parcells' "you are what your record says you are" has to come into play.

And the other issue is that these portal guys that are ok and maybe have upside to pop aren't walking in to play with the same guys that portaled over to UConn or Tennessee. Chris Bell and JJ and Cuffe and McCleod aren't amazing players.

We are relying on portal guys to be top line starters or hoping our average players become stars.

If we're going to be a mediocre program, all good.

But the excuses have to end at some point. If Leffew is great and blows up, awesome. But at some point Parcells' "you are what your record says you are" has to come into play.

And the other issue is that these portal guys that are ok and maybe have upside to pop aren't walking in to play with the same guys that portaled over to UConn or Tennessee. Chris Bell and JJ and Cuffe and McCleod aren't amazing players.

We are relying on portal guys to be top line starters or hoping our average players become stars.
I don't disagree with your takes but you keep on piling the historical mediocrity of the previous regime onto Red. He's being tasked with turning over a bad roster and also by all accounts building a modern NIL engine that JB didn't understand.

I agree with you that in the era of NIL and portal the decisions have to be more near-term, but we also have to be realistic about the challenge that was laid at Red's feet.

I hope you’re right but a 5th year rental senior who is still learning a position while also moving to a much better conference with much better players is not exactly confidence inspiring. I don’t understand why it’s so hard for the staff to get a real, proven and learned PG. the team doesn’t need an NBA talent, it needs a PG who can find guys and play defense.
For long-term team building purposes, a "5th yr rental" - regardless of who it may end up being - is probably Red's preference as it brings maturity and experience to next year's team and it doesn't scare away any of the highly-ranked HS PG's he's after for next year's class.

As to this specific "5th yr rental", Leffew, I think your concerns and pessimism are logical and warranted but I think you're also kinda missing the point (no pun intended): Leffew can really play. This kid is talented, he's not some lower division sleeper Red is taking a risky flyer on. DL's a hooper who I'm confident can more than hold his own in the ACC under Red's tutelage. I think signing him will be a major win for the program. While I agree with you that the team doesn't need an NBA talent at the point guard spot, it doesn't hurt either, and I believe Leffew will prove to be a better PG and ultimately a better pro prospect then last season's PG.

But it's all a guessing game so I guess we'll see how it all unfolds. But I'm bullish on Leffew and really hope he commits.

Last edited:
I don't disagree with your takes but you keep on piling the historical mediocrity of the previous regime onto Red. He's being tasked with turning over a bad roster and also by all accounts building a modern NIL engine that JB didn't understand.

I agree with you that in the era of NIL and portal the decisions have to be more near-term, but we also have to be realistic about the challenge that was laid at Red's feet.
Exactly. Problem is we have a fan base that expects Red to turn water into wine immediately and if he doesnt then fire him!

I dont get it.

Last edited:
Exactly. Problem is we have a fan base that expects Red to turn water into wine immediately ans if he doesnt then fire him!

I dont get it.
As long as it’s sweet wine. :)

Outside of Kansas the best teams aren't just throwing money at top talent to be good. They are building good rosters with recruiting and supplementing through the portal. UConn got Newton and Cam Spencer in the portal to supplement the guys they recruited. Knowing this board I doubt anyone would have been excited if those were guys we targeted the past few years. It's about fit more than just finding the biggest name.
You need NIL to keep the current core and you need NIL to add additional high end pieces. Everyone’s NIL budget seemed to increase going into next years, yesterday’s price is not today’s price.

I seriously wonder if some posters have met any of the coaches or players in real life. Red is a class act and accessible, and I believe he knows the score. Whether it works or not he’s fully immersed and I wish him and the program the best, great dude. To get 20wins from some of the knuckleheads and be discreet is a testament to his character.
Go Cuse!

I first met Red​

at an AAU Tournament prior to his enrollment at Syracuse, he was a class act then and still is!

Exactly. Problem is we have a fan base that expects Red to turn water into wine immediately and if he doesnt then fire him!

I dont get it.
It's going to take a few years to get the trains rolling. Red knows what he has to do. Considering everything that happened this season with injuries and a player being dismissed, Red did a mighty fine job.

Our perimeter guys will need to wreak havoc on opposing guards in order to make up for Lampkin's shot-blocking weakness, as McLeod hasn't proven he can stay healthy and there's no telling if Patterson will be more than an emergency guy.

We obviously need a distributor, but whether Leffew can be an impactful defender at this level (if we bring him in) is going to be the X-factor.

People around here have watched iso ball for so long they don’t know what a good guard can do without dominating the ball. Did you watch Colgate beat us for two years? They did it with execution and teamwork. Leffew will be just fine with the players we have returning.

I dont get it.
Red was a part of the previous regime and helped pour that water to begin with. I am not saying he needs to be axed tomorrow but you have to admit this offseason has been pretty underwhelming. We'll see if the team is any better in the fall regardless of who joins the program. Will likely be a slow start with all the new faces though. Teams don't gel overnight.

Red was a part of the previous regime and helped pour that water to begin with. I am not saying he needs to be axed tomorrow but you have to admit this offseason has been pretty underwhelming. We'll see if the team is any better in the fall regardless of who joins the program. Will likely be a slow start with all the new faces though. Teams don't gel overnight.
After seeing what happened to UK and Louisville I never want to hear about an outside hire again unless Red falls on his face next season.

I dont get it.
It's almost as if some think that Red is deliberately settling for lower tier players and hoping they will be good. Or, better still: "My expectations are championships - why doesn't Red share those expectations? Why can't he make that happen? Doesn't he realize how mediocre we are? I demand more, damn it!!"

At some point reality has to come in to play. Red can not simply pick and choose whoever he wants from the Portal Store. I know most here get that. But there seems to be an assumption that the staff is not doing enough due diligence by scouting, watching tape, talking to contacts/agents/evaluators/other coaches.

They have a list of players based on those evaluations who might share a mutual interest in Syracuse. But that doesn't guarantee anything. That's not an excuse, it's reality.

It's not magic. It's hard work, diligence, decision making, and selling.

That characterization is unfair. The buck stopped with JB and we’ve heard about some jaw-dropping decisions he made in the past 5 years where he overruled assistants.