Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Mike Waters wrote a couple of names a while back. I think he was spot on.
I still want BJ Freeman. Use Freeman, Chance, and JJ along with Lampkin as playmakers. Donnie Freeman, Bell, and Davis as finishers.

Mike Waters wrote a couple of names a while back. I think he was spot on.
One of those guys did not have us in his recent top 4 and not sure Carlos is a P5 starter.

Carlos makes more sense if we think we need a more ball-dominant "pure PG" type, which is arguably necessary with JJ and Bell as running mates. Barring some developments as a shooter, he won't play off the ball as well as Leffew. I still find it kinda strange that we'd be interested in both of them filling the same spot.

Anywho, really curious to see how this all plays out. I had kinda assumed Leffew was a sure thing to come here.

No. Not yet. I have not heard a word on how his visit to Syracuse went. Let alone his visit to Nova.

That combo guard from St. Joe's is still out there. He's talented and very experienced.

The photo of him in a Nova jersey looks like Nova?

And the photo of him in a Syracuse indicates he's coming here?
I mean, this is what they do, they take pictures and do social media to convince you to come to their school.

Its good news he’s taking his visit to Xavier. Obviously means he wasn’t blown away by Nova. Not enough to commit to them while there. And the crazy way recruiting works out is he could of gave us a silent verbal but still wanted to take visits to make sure he wanted to be at Syracuse. Just throwing my thoughts out there doesn’t mean its true or not.

I'm certainly hoping for better, but there's a decent chance this could apply to us next season too.
I'm always intrigued by the potential of kids to improve and I love the idea that a healthy Westry is a stud and a freshman Donnie Freeman is a stud and we're a tourney team next year. But if I'm being objective -- I have no idea why anyone would look at what we have lined up at the moment and think it screams tourney team.

In fact, if someone came to you and said you had to bet your kids' college funds and your retirement account on us making vs. missing the tournament, I have a hard time believing many would let it roll on the 'making it' side.

Yeah means we might be on the outside looking in.

There are quality guys entering the portal every day right now.

Leffew is kind of a MCW looking option; lanky, has midrange game, he sees a pass, but Westry in his freshman year at Auburn showed more flash on the dish.

If we get him, he fits a type (experienced and really productive at a lower level); if not, no sleep lost, there are a bunch of guys like him out there.

If we don't get him, the real question is whether we would have hired his coach or not.

no, apparently "true" point guards aren't supposed to score

Come on. Tyler Ennis was a true PG and scored the ball. So did Billy Edelin, Sherman Douglas, Pearl Washington. Other examples are people like Tiny Archibald, Allen Iverson and so many other legendary players who could set up a teammate for an easy bucket and still get their own.

It's about seeing the pass, and making the pass when it's there instead of the first priority being "getting my own".

the fact he left without a commit obviously isn't good.

I think if he goes somewhere else, the hiring of his coach looks impulsive and a poor decision strategically.

How do you know the amount? How do you know what we have? We had a poster last fall say that we couldn't compete in NIL for football. He said we couldn't compete with Wake Forrest. Now, all of a sudden, we are getting high ranked kids all over the country. We don't know what we have or don't have. and we sure don't know what other schools have.
We have plenty. We fortunately are not going to overspend or waste money on the wrong kids

How do you know they have more NIL than we do?

They have won recent national titles, they play in a good conference, they are located in philly and still connected to NYC via the MSG home for their conference tournament. They have access to better donors than we do right now. We've been mediocre for a decade. Our brand is not what we think it is to recruits.

I think if he goes somewhere else, the hiring of his coach looks impulsive and a poor decision strategically.
I read somewhere hes friends with Red. Whether it’s true or not who knows.

Its good news he’s taking his visit to Xavier. Obviously means he wasn’t blown away by Nova. Not enough to commit to them while there. And the crazy way recruiting works out is he could of gave us a silent verbal but still wanted to take visits to make sure he wanted to be at Syracuse. Just throwing my thoughts out there doesn’t mean its true or not.

Maybe he committed to Red, and Red told him to take all his visits anyways?

Maybe he just likes Skyline Chili?

Even if Leffew signs, Syracuse can‘t call it a day because we still need a backup point guard because we wre unsure about Westry recovering from injury and no other guard seems to have a good handle.

If we sign Leffew, it's going to be ball handling and playmaking by committee.

We will have Leffew (or replacement), JJ, Cuffe, Moore and Westry, if he's healthy.

If Westry's healthy, these guys are the group.
We can't take Leffew and still another guard, unless we know Westry won't be back.

We still need another forward more than we need a sixth guard.

I read somewhere hes friends with Red. Whether it’s true or not who knows.
We can’t have hired his coach just to get Leffew right? I mean, even if we got the kid and had a great year because of it, that’s an incredibly tough look from a long-term perspective