Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

I don’t think there is any mystery to the system. Want a center who can run pick and rolls while being the finisher and passer off the short roll. Forwards should be lengthy and able to shoot 3s. Guards should both be “combo” guards who can lead the break and both attack off the bounce. Expect to see more push on the initial break. Freemans ability should be utilized on the fast break. He can finish above the rim and hit the trailer three.
Lampkin and Freeman will be huge upgrades on offense over last years guys. Defense might want to close your eyes.

I don’t think there is any mystery to the system. Want a center who can run pick and rolls while being the finisher and passer off the short roll. Forwards should be lengthy and able to shoot 3s. Guards should both be “combo” guards who can lead the break and both attack off the bounce. Expect to see more push on the initial break. Freemans ability should be utilized on the fast break. He can finish above the rim and hit the trailer three.
Lampkin and Freeman will be huge upgrades on offense over last years guys. Defense might want to close your eyes.
Are you implying that we are expecting to see Washington Wizards type of Offense and absence of defense style of play next year?

Are you implying that we are expecting to see Washington Wizards type of Offense and absence of defense style of play next year?
Haha. Hopefully our Jordan Poole types are all gone.

Even if Leffew signs, Syracuse can‘t call it a day because we still need a backup point guard because we wre unsure about Westry recovering from injury and no other guard seems to have a good handle.
A healthy Westry as the backup PG and able to play 1-3 next season would make us a really good team. He’s the wildcard, and I’m hopeful that he’ll be fully healed from his injury.

Encouraging. Even Kentucky couldn't make that work.

A healthy Westry as the backup PG and able to play 1-3 next season would make us a really good team. He’s the wildcard, and I’m hopeful that he’ll be fully healed from his injury.

This is true. Westry's admittedly limited film from Auburn made him look like a less crazy version of Copeland. Still had a lot of nifty passing in his clips, penetrating into the lane and scoring. Good size, but maybe an inch shorter than Copeland, it looked to me in the film.

Encouraging. Even Kentucky couldn't make that work.
Cal sucks. He didn’t adapt quick enough to the portal and older players. Nothing to do with system.
Watch UConn or UNC and see it work. Carolina struggled a little with Cadeau, when they won it was with a combo guard in Love.
What would you suggest instead?

You know why you got roasted. Because it is ridiculous. Leffew isn't Danny manning. You don't hire a coach for 500k for kid like that. Who we may not even get. No matter how many times you are told that Red and this guy have known each other for years. That's probably why.

If some people weren't saying that Red has known this guy for a long time, objectively this would look like a very poor hire for a school of our stature.

Cal sucks. He didn’t adapt quick enough to the portal and older players. Nothing to do with system.
Watch UConn or UNC and see it work. Carolina struggled a little with Cadeau, when they won it was with a combo guard in Love.
What would you suggest instead?
Im talking about all offense no defense. For the sake of the examples provided: both UNC and UConn (especially UConn) had pretty great defenses.

Side point though, i wouldn't call a top 10 ranking all year "struggling." They had a freshman PG who averaged nearly 8 assists/40minutes with a 2.5-1 A/T ratio and got a #1 seed and lost by 2 to Alabama int he sweet 16... Is that the miracle national championship result they hoped for? Certainly not but lets not claim they "struggled" much this year and that not winning the NC was Cadeau's fault. Loves freshmen year they didn't even win 20 games...

Last edited:
Just catching up on this thread. Have to say, the last few pages were painful.

Also, for those who think for a second that we would hire a coach just to get a player to transfer (esp. a kid that's just good not great) is absolutely crazy. I mean, come on. Even if the kid were a top 5 talent, no way. That's incredibly short sighted and just flat out stupid. Okay, carry on...

Also, for those who think for a second that we would hire a coach just to get a player to transfer (esp. a kid that's just good not great) is absolutely crazy. I mean, come on. Even if the kid were a top 5 talent, no way. That's incredibly short sighted and just flat out stupid. Okay, carry on...
Between that hot take and the “he didn’t have a good record as head coach at Mt St Mary’s, therefore he was a bad ASSISTANT COACH hire”
take will make a sane person lose his marbles

Between that hot take and the “he didn’t have a good record as head coach at Mt St Mary’s, therefore he was a bad ASSISTANT COACH hire”
The logic is crazy. If he had a good HC record he would probably garner offers...to be a HC in a bigger conference. Plenty of coaches come and go as the main guy but end up being better assistants. Just the nature of things.

It’s not a hot take. I don’t agree with it, but it’s not unreasonable to link the two at all. If any rival team did it, we’d be freaking out about it here the way we are saying Mack is going to Georgetown for the money.

Im talking about all offense no defense. For the sake of the examples provided: both UNC and UConn (especially UConn) had pretty great defenses.

Side point though, i wouldn't call a top 10 ranking all year "struggling." They had a freshman PG who averaged nearly 8 assists/40minutes with a 2.5-1 A/T ratio and got a #1 seed and lost by 2 to Alabama int he sweet 16... Is that the miracle national championship result they hoped for? Certainly not but lets not claim they "struggled" much this year and that not winning the NC was Cadeau's fault. Loves freshmen year they didn't even win 20 games...
We were talking about offensive systems. You always move the goal post when having a discussion.
I said Carolina struggled a little. Cadeau didn’t need to be guarded and it cost UNC a potential championship.

It’s not a hot take. I don’t agree with it, but it’s not unreasonable to link the two at all. If any rival team did it, we’d be freaking out about it here the way we are saying Mack is going to Georgetown for the money.
It is a hot take, he was also a successful head coach before Mt St Mary, that doesn’t count? He became a moron out of the blue? And we didn’t hire him just to get a solid guard

The only kids worth that are already bypassing college. As far as Leffew I still hope we land him because he was the number 1 guy on Red's board for the position. He wasn't number 1 on my board but I'm not a professional in the field. If we do wind up with Leffew it would mean that Red got the center he wanted, the guard he wanted and was able to replace Brown with someone he targeted. That is a good sign moving forward.

Last edited:
It is a hot take, he was also a successful head coach before Mt St Mary, that doesn’t count? He became a moron out of the blue? And we didn’t hire him just to get a solid guard
Is it reasonable to suggest that the qualifications that earned him more than one HEAD coaching job are also very desirable for an assistant coaching position?

Not the head coach to assistant junk.

I’m saying that if Nova hired him, this board would be screaming bloody murder. I agree it’s not true but it’s not an unreasonable take

Everyone agrees that it would be stupid. Just because it would be stupid, however, doesn't mean it should be ruled out. Maybe the NIL situation is more dire than they want to admit and they see this as a way to save some money short-term. If that's the case Red is certainly not going to advertise that even to insiders.

We were talking about offensive systems. You always move the goal post when having a discussion.
I said Carolina struggled a little. Cadeau didn’t need to be guarded and it cost UNC a potential championship.
I’m not moving the goal posts at all, I think you’re just adding in context to the conversation that don’t exist, I’m just trying to cover as many bases as possible.

You can have an amazing offensive system but you have no defense it wont work.

You can have a great offensive system in theory but if you have no one to run it then it also won’t work.

I have no clue how you’re arguing that Cadeau cost them the championship. The guy played 13 minutes in the sweet sixteen. If anything RJ Davis, the 40% 3pt shooter going 0-9 is what cost them the game.