Class of 2019 - PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 PG Dakota Leffew (GA) Portal to Georgia

Everyone agrees that it would be stupid. Just because it would be stupid, however, doesn't mean it should be ruled out. Maybe the NIL situation is more dire than they want to admit and they see this as a way to save some money short-term. If that's the case Red is certainly not going to advertise that even to insiders.
You’re wrong.

You’re wrong.
I hope I'm wrong, but so far all we're doing is speculating. The other poster nailed it: if another team trying to land Leffew hired his coach we'd be screaming bloody murder.

Not the head coach to assistant junk.

I’m saying that if Nova hired him, this board would be screaming bloody murder. I agree it’s not true but it’s not an unreasonable take
True but that’s just another example of what morons we are here ;)

i never thought I would see the day that there is this much discussion about a potential starting/backup PG who may or may not be any good. I mean we arent talking about the next coming of Isaiah Thomas here. This is nauseating

A lot of this is people not understanding or accepting the new reality that is college sports while not realizing the massive task that was handing to Red and incorrectly thinking there was some savior coach out there that could miraculously do better than he has since taking the reigns.

Running a college sports team right now is like running a non profit that needs to be tech saavy. You have to have outside money to secure the funds to operate your business and attract the talent needed to stand above the masses. Your mission alone is no longer enough. It’s a hard task and a 365 day job all while having other divisions(sports) that have to do the same thing and find a way to not compete with one another to be successful.

A lot of this is people not understanding or accepting the new reality that is college sports while not realizing the massive task that was handing to Red and incorrectly thinking there was some savior coach out there that could miraculously do better than he has since taking the reigns.
True. We do have a lot of guys here who have won multiple nattys from their couch

True. We do have a lot of guys here who have won multiple nattys from their couch

Yep and many who don’t get how complicated the business side of this is now.

my attitude is if he comes here great...if not then move on to the next guy. There will always be a next guy

Yeah like Jesse if he wants to go play where they will overpay him for a team that goes nowhere next year then more power to him.

On a side note I’d toss a little extra $$ in to get Roach if that’s now a real option… Roach would have a role that features him more here for sure.

i never thought I would see the day that there is this much discussion about a potential starting/backup PG who may or may not be any good. I mean we arent talking about the next coming of Isaiah Thomas here. This is nauseating

Yeah, but this kid is pretty good. He's not just a warm body.

I say we play JJ at point if we don't land our guy. He played pg albeit in an exhibition, when Judah was hurt. I liked how he pushed the ball better than any other guys we've had at point in years. Maybe I'm overreacting on a single exhibition game, but I think he can at least give us what Judah did as a distributor.Then we can go grab a stud sg to pair with him

Yeah, but this kid is pretty good. He's not just a warm body.

For sure he is… but if Nova is desperately dropping huge money on this kid then so be it… he’s not going to save their season that looks like a rough one

I say we play JJ at point if we don't land our guy. He played pg albeit in an exhibition, when Judah was hurt. I liked how he pushed the ball better than any other guys we've had at point in years. Maybe I'm overreacting on a single exhibition game, but I think he can at least give us what Judah did as a distributor.Then we can go grab a stud sg to pair with him
Yikes. Did you see JJ pass this season?

Yikes. Did you see JJ pass this season?
I didn't see any special passes by Judah, he'd consistently make a few bad passes a game. Not saying it's ideal, but , I think JJ can be adequate if he gets an off-season to prepare.

This is true. Westry's admittedly limited film from Auburn made him look like a less crazy version of Copeland. Still had a lot of nifty passing in his clips, penetrating into the lane and scoring. Good size, but maybe an inch shorter than Copeland, it looked to me in the film.
Cuffe, Westry can defend. Lampkin, Freeman and Davis are all big or tall so should be able to rebound. Bell got a lot better and expect him to be good. McCloud and Patterson are both tall and can protect the rim and matchup with big guys. JJ is athletic and not terrible. Wildcards are new guard (s), Moore etc. Maybe not great like Duke but we should be much better on offense

Just catching up on this thread. Have to say, the last few pages were painful.

Also, for those who think for a second that we would hire a coach just to get a player to transfer (esp. a kid that's just good not great) is absolutely crazy. I mean, come on. Even if the kid were a top 5 talent, no way. That's incredibly short sighted and just flat out stupid. Okay, carry on...
I would like to think we would not hire an assistant just to land a transfer of Leffew's non-elite caliber. Schools have definitely done it to land elite talent before, and depending on the player, it could be worth it. I don't think that's what happened here.

I do think it's pretty reasonable to expect that when you hire the kid's head coach to join you and there's mutual interest before that between us and him, you'd think it's pretty much a slam dunk. If we actually lose him to Villanova, Xavier, or whatever, it will look a little embarrassing.

End of the world? Not at all, but it won't be a good look.

Yeah like Jesse if he wants to go play where they will overpay him for a team that goes nowhere next year then more power to him.
Problem is, if we stick with that high-and-mighty attitude we'll end up with James Theus.

Is the orange juice really worth the squeeze with this kid… we got time..