Class of 2018 - PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Hey, look .....a squirrel.

istock_000011878152_full_gray-squirrel.jpg

Long term this should help our recruiting, provided we are not involved in any way, but in the short term this could hurt us. I don't think any of our recruits will sign in November, they will (and should), hold off til the spring to wait for the dust to settle. Anything can happen between now and then...lots of dominoes to fall and potential openings at other schools, new/late offers, etc.

I can't help but think this will hurt college basketball overall in the long term. Like the top 50 will just forgo college all together and play for the Shanghai Sharks for a year.

I can't help but think this will hurt college basketball overall in the long term. Like the top 50 will just forgo college all together and play for the Shanghai Sharks for a year.
It'll be great for college basketball. Those top 50 players that may have never wanted to go to college will get their wish. Which will leave the door open for another top 50, which will develop their games (not just stay a year) leading to a better overall product .

Last edited:
It'll be great for college basketball. Those top 50 played that may have never wanted to go to college will get their wish. Which will leave the door open for another top 50, which will develop their games (not just stay a year) leading to a better overall product .
Eh, I dunno. People want to watch "Darius Bazley's", not Darius Bazleys backups.

Eh, I dunno. People want to watch "Darius Bazley's", not Darius Bazleys backups.

I dunno, all the best high school players go to college now and all we say is that the level of play is worse than it's been in 40 years. That Fultz kid didn't make UW games watchable last year, same for the LSU kid recently. With a focused bunch of four-year players with talent, I think teams would play high-level basketball and interest in the game would remain steady.

I dunno, all the best high school players go to college now and all we say is that the level of play is worse than it's been in 40 years. That Fultz kid didn't make UW games watchable last year, same for the LSU kid recently. With a focused bunch of four-year players with talent, I think teams would play high-level basketball and interest in the game would remain steady.
Of course. The rivalries will be there even if the straight-ballers opt for pay-for-play. For those very (very) few, college exposure (to say nothing of the learning experience) isn't necessary. They'll make millions and might not be suitable for the college environment. For most, however, college is an opportunity to mature, develop as players and young men ... and maybe even pick up some skills to fall back on if they're cut or blow out a knee.

Last edited:
Probably just depends what we see. A few of the top guys go pro, ok. Top 10 all go pro. Fine. But if we see everyone with some talent going to get that money...I'm not sure people want to watch "the leftovers".

Definitely a catch 22 though because people also want to have storylines and those develop when kids stay in school and you know you've got to deal with this guy for 3-4 years.

Then you can talk about it in the Jalen Carey Commits to Syracuse thread. :)
Let's talk Jalen Carey.

What are his changes of becoming a McDonald's All-American?

Here are his current rankings:

Sc0ut: 78
R1vals: 49
ESPN: 34
724 composite: 54 (dropped 5 recently)

Looks like a long shot. I find it strange for him to be ranked so low given the film I have seen on him and his offer list (Kansas, Miami, Villanova, Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Notre Dame, Texas, UConn, South Carolina, etc.).

You have players like Andrew Nembhard, a 6'4 PG from Ontario, ranked 28th. Nembhard has offers from Florida, Ohio State, USC, Baylor, Gonzaga, Nova and UConn. No offers from Michigan or Syracuse, schools that recruit Canada hard. Nembhard is ranked 28th on the composite rankings.

Elijah Weaver has offers from Ohio State, USC, Florida, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Nova, FSU, Miami, UL and Maryland (lots of schools in the news recently). No offer from Kansas or Syracuse. His national composite ranking is 35th.

The ranking from Sc0ut is really hurting him. It seems really low to me. I would think Carey has to be a top 50 player in anyone's rankings.

Probably just depends what we see. A few of the top guys go pro, ok. Top 10 all go pro. Fine. But if we see everyone with some talent going to get that money...I'm not sure people want to watch "the leftovers".

Definitely a catch 22 though because people also want to have storylines and those develop when kids stay in school and you know you've got to deal with this guy for 3-4 years.

Loved The Leftovers, great show.

Can't imagine anymore than a handful of kids from each class can go. Its primarily always been just bigs that go pro early with a few guards like Telfair who tried it and failed.

Ok c'mon insiders do we have this sewn up over the likes of Miami who's now dealing with this scandal and uconn who has a bunch of guards and full schollies already? If not then man we must really suck at closing because you would think this would be a slam dunk unless all of a sudden the Carey's are interested in other schools?

Ok c'mon insiders do we have this sewn up over the likes of Miami who's now dealing with this scandal and uconn who has a bunch of guards and full schollies already? If not then man we must really suck at closing because you would think this would be a slam dunk unless all of a sudden the Carey's are interested in other schools?

Somewhere in the thread about the investigation Jake said he was ours.

Let's talk Jalen Carey.

What are his changes of becoming a McDonald's All-American?

Here are his current rankings:

Sc0ut: 78
R1vals: 49
ESPN: 34
724 composite: 54 (dropped 5 recently)

Looks like a long shot. I find it strange for him to be ranked so low given the film I have seen on him and his offer list (Kansas, Miami, Villanova, Arizona, Florida, Indiana, Notre Dame, Texas, UConn, South Carolina, etc.).

You have players like Andrew Nembhard, a 6'4 PG from Ontario, ranked 28th. Nembhard has offers from Florida, Ohio State, USC, Baylor, Gonzaga, Nova and UConn. No offers from Michigan or Syracuse, schools that recruit Canada hard. Nembhard is ranked 28th on the composite rankings.

Elijah Weaver has offers from Ohio State, USC, Florida, Oklahoma State, Arizona, Nova, FSU, Miami, UL and Maryland (lots of schools in the news recently). No offer from Kansas or Syracuse. His national composite ranking is 35th.

The ranking from Sc0ut is really hurting him. It seems really low to me. I would think Carey has to be a top 50 player in anyone's rankings.
I wonder if this is an update issue with Scout (they haven't seen him recently).Kid has blown up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom