Class of 2021 - PG Jaquan Carlos (NY) TRANSFERING TO SYRACUSE (4/24/24) | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PG Jaquan Carlos (NY) TRANSFERING TO SYRACUSE (4/24/24)

I like this kid better than the Georgia kid. Hes got a better handle defends better and i think shoots as well if not better.

I like this kid better than the Georgia kid. Hes got a better handle defends better and i think shoots as well if not better.

He’s very similar to Kihei Clark. Not as small as Clark ( or maybe he is but Clark always seemed closer to 5-8 than what he was listed at) and not as crafty in the paint but similar in having good vision and controlling the game. A better shooter form wise than Clark. Obviously Clark played against elite competition so we will have to see just how solid Carlos is making a big step up.

Last edited:
The staff did not view Leffew as a 35 minute player - closer to 25….so the split was always going to get Carlos on the floor.
So who are they targeting for the minutes that they wanted to go to Leffew?

Leffew shot 37% from 3 last year. He shot 38% from 3 the year before. carlos isn't a better shooter than him.
The OP says things...

Carlos is a good enough shooter that the D needs to account for him. The more I watch his tapes the more I like the add. I look forward to what he brings to the roster. I noticed some form issues on his 3pt shooting - he tends to lean or step forward as he is going up.

The OP says things...

Carlos is a good enough shooter that the D needs to account for him. The more I watch his tapes the more I like the add. I look forward to what he brings to the roster. I noticed some form issues on his 3pt shooting - he tends to lean or step forward as he is going up.
I agree with your take on Carlos's shot... I think he'll quickly find he needs a lot more room to get it off in the ACC. Both from three and off the dribble.

I see him having trouble scoring for a while, while he adjusts. If he can make the adjustment, he can be serviceable. At least we know that he'll knock it down if teams ignore him out there.

Another thing I don't like about Carlos is that he seems to score a lot by taking the worst shot in basketball, the step back 18 footer off the dribble. It goes in the same amount of time as if he shot it from 1 step father back, but it's worth fewer points. I was hoping the team would stop playing inefficient offense, but we picked up a guy who seems to specialize in that shot.

I agree with your take on Carlos's shot... I think he'll quickly find he needs a lot more room to get it off in the ACC. Both from three and off the dribble.

I see him having trouble scoring for a while, while he adjusts. If he can make the adjustment, he can be serviceable. At least we know that he'll knock it down if teams ignore him out there.

Another thing I don't like about Carlos is that he seems to score a lot by taking the worst shot in basketball, the step back 18 footer off the dribble. It goes in the same amount of time as if he shot it from 1 step father back, but it's worth fewer points. I was hoping the team would stop playing inefficient offense, but we picked up a guy who seems to specialize in that shot.
All of Speedy Claxton’s guards have developed that shot in recent years. Aaron Estrada was known as Mr. Mid-Range. It’s tough to defend because it usually means a defender was beat/backed off preventing a drive and is essentially a free open shot. If you practice it a lot and can hit it, it’s a pretty efficient shot.

Sure... if you ignore those pesky stats...
I admit stat wise Carlos shot 35% so yes, the other kid shot 2 points better than him. In watching Carlos, you can see that he unlike Judah has a good form on his shot and he does have range. I think that his combination of skills, Ball handling, passing, defense and yes shooting are solid. I expect him to be a good player for us.

I admit stat wise Carlos shot 35% so yes, the other kid shot 2 points better than him. In watching Carlos, you can see that he unlike Judah has a good form on his shot and he does have range. I think that his combination of skills, Ball handling, passing, defense and yes shooting are solid. I expect him to be a good player for us.
Yeah, and he loves basketball. As do the other kids we have brought in. So that will help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom