Class of 2021 - PG Jaquan Carlos (NY) TRANSFERING TO SYRACUSE (4/24/24) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 PG Jaquan Carlos (NY) TRANSFERING TO SYRACUSE (4/24/24)

1) Leffew is still in play. No guarantee we get him but he is still very much a possibility
2) Carlos is aware of this
3) People might be disappointed by this but Carlos is a VERY good defender, he’s a PURE point guard. Pass first guy. Good but not great shooter. We don’t need a pure scorer at PG. We have Starling, Bell, Freeman, Davis, Lampkin and Westry. Getting the ball in the basket is not going to be an issue. This guy knows how to get the ball to the right guys and is an ELITE passer and very good playmaker. Between Carlos, Davis and Lampkin the staff has added 3 VERY GOOD passers at their positions. Ball movement seems to be a point of emphasis for Autry this off-season.

Now if we still get Leffew and Carlos is the first guard off the bench…you have an extremely good guard rotation to go with a very good forward/center rotation. If we get Leffew and Westry stays healthy this season we are a top 4 ACC team. Book it
It would be great if we can still get Leffew as well. But we already have a very crowded backcourt next year between Carlos, Westry, Starling, Cuffe and Choppa Moore. Sure, Moore is only a freshman and will need time, and Westry can play some SF. But that’s a lot of players for only 80 minutes of playing time per game.

Me thinks Red’s ideal team will rotate a lot of players and pressure on defense and run on offense. Guys like Bell and Moore will be great trailers for transition threes.
If he can sell and implement that vision, he can have a really good bench. Cuffe can have a place on a team like that. If he is better than he showed last year, he’ll earn more time.

It would be great if we can still get Leffew as well. But we already have a very crowded backcourt next year between Carlos, Westry, Starling, Cuffe and Choppa Moore. Sure, Moore is only a freshman and will need time, and Westry can play some SF. But that’s a lot of players for only 80 minutes of playing time per game.

plus Davis, Bell, Freeman Lampkin and McLeod. That’s an 11 man rotation with two guys (Westry and McLeod with injury concerns. Start with a solid 9 and maybe be able to use your entire top 11

Me thinks Red’s ideal team will rotate a lot of players and pressure on defense and run on offense. Guys like Bell and Moore will be great trailers for transition threes.
If he can sell and implement that vision, he can have a really good bench. Cuffe can have a place on a team like that. If he is better than he showed last year, he’ll earn more time.
Everyone was saying that was the plan last year and didnt see it once. Hopefully this group buys in.

Correct. Feel free to look at the defensive metrics and point out what I said was incorrect.

Judah was 2nd Team All ACC this year. The "ALL" teams don't mean much to me.
I was just pointing out the contradiction, not questioning your interpretation of the numbers. But I’m also not a big believer in the usefulness of the BPM stat.

One thing I love about this kid from the highlights is when he makes a three he immediately looks to pick up his guy on defense as opposed to jogging back or celebrating. I think he will bring some of the dirt dog mentality to the program that was lacking at times last year.

I was just pointing out the contradiction. But I’m also not a big believer in the usefulness of the BPM stat.

That’s fair.

If you don’t like BPM. Steal percentage. DBPR. D Win Shares.

All are fine. Not blow away. Lower than Judah

Westry will here. But I don’t think he’s being counted on a backup guard. He’s a backup 3 right now with potential PG ability
That makes sense. If Westry is healthy and can avoid reinjury, he’s gonna play a hell of a lot including at PG. He has very good vision and passing skills. He’s the wildcard for this team next year.

That’s fair.

If you don’t like BPM. Steal percentage. DBPR. D Win Shares.

All are fine. Not blow away. Lower than Judah
Yeah, it does feel like he’s more of a solid backup pure PG like Symir. But maybe with the rest of the pieces, he fits well.

I’ve mentioned it in other threads, but I watched a lot of Hofstra the past few years as they’ve been on MSG or SNY down here quite often. They had 2pm start times so they filled a spot between the big nooners and some of the later afternoon games. CAA basketball isn’t that bad of a level, the top 4-5 teams would be competitive in the A-10 imo.

Carlos is fine as a backup PG at this level.
  • He’s a streaky shooter, very good passer and good defender.
  • He penetrates very well, but really lacks the hops, bulldog mentality to get to the rim.
  • Hofstra hasn’t had much of an inside game in recent years, so him penetrating didn’t result in many easy dump offs to bigs when defenders collapsed.
  • Carlos does a really nice job of kicking out/finding the open man when defenses start to collapse on him during penetration.
  • He plays third (or fourth) scoring option really well. When Hofstra had Estrada, Thomas and Dubar last year, Carlos played off ball a lot. He was often the safety valve for those players when they got into trouble.
  • We heard Red wants to get more up/down. Carlos pushes tempo really well and hits buckets in transition. In an up-tempo game, his defense is really good because of his hands and his ability to draw charges.
  • Some of his shooting issues seemed mental. If he hits his first few shots, he has a ton of confidence and shoots well. If he misses a couple, things get ugly quickly and he’ll stop looking to shoot.
  • From what I recall, defensively, he was very good as an on-ball defender and was surprisingly not that bad against bigger players who would try to back him down.
  • I assume when he’s on the court, bigger guards will try to ISO and take it to the rim. Or, he’ll get picked and the opposing team will try to get a size advantage during the switch out of the pick.

Symir did nothing against good competition outside a couple nice games here and didn’t elevate Binghamton. Incredible kid but not even in the caliber of player as Carlos.
That game against Duke in the ACCT though!

So, one of my fraternity brothers in our group text just helped me come up with the perfect nickname:

"the Jackal"

When I posted that we'd landed Jaquan Carlos, his response was:

Is he an international terrorist? :p

One thing I love about this kid from the highlights is when he makes a three he immediately looks to pick up his guy on defense as opposed to jogging back or celebrating. I think he will bring some of the dirt dog mentality to the program that was lacking at times last year.
That’s just not smart play. If he argues with the ref after every 3 he could turn those shots into 4 point plays

Selling quality portal kids to come and play a bench role is very tough in this era but Red has done an amazing job getting 2 veteran quality players to come and be a bench piece. Getting Lampkin and Leffew is one thing but adding quality proven players for the bench roles is hard. Red did a great job here adding quality pieces to fill out the team.

"Carlos is the third transfer to join head coach Adrian Autry. The second-year head man has also pulled in former Delaware wing Jyare Davis and Colorado big Eddie Lampkin. Both are expected to start this season."

I'll believe that when I see it.
Yeah I took that as a “dont know what I’m talking about” blurb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom