Class of 2022 - PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered | Page 105 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 PG JJ Starling (Baldwinsville / La Lumiere) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... I thought he had picked up his recruiting efforts lately. For someone like yourself who has inside knowledge, I guess he hasn't. I do think that his legacy can help with some kids but others, not so much. One of the things I've been concerned with is if recruits learn about his track record of treating players very inconsistently and how some get to be in his dog house (i.e. Roberson comes to mind).
There’s a difference between sharing inside knowledge and editorializing. I appreciate the former and take the latter with a grain of salt.

JB did decent on the road this year but thats such a small part of the puzzle...those visits are short and sweet and then its about communication with these kids and the families. I think our assistants do the majority of the communicating so the relationships established are mostly with them and not the head coach they will be playing for. These younger coaches are tech savvy and are probably in constant contact with their priority targets...idk if that can be said for our head coach. Not saying thats the problem here with the JJ recruitment but this isn't a new topic around here the past couple years and has been mentioned a few times but posters with some knowledge about the situation.

Well this thread certainly took a turn for the worse, as did our monster recruiting class that we once thought we had. Don't get me wrong, I like our guys, but this just isn't what we thought we were going to have.
This has become the norm with the exception of a few gems like Williams and others, and it’ll continue to be the norm until there’s a change of face in the program.

Congratulations, Norte Dame for getting a player that we really wanted. Now recruit a team that will mesh with his style and skills because one talented player is not worth much without a good team to support him.

want to put this in perspective. I received a text from my brother-in-law about 5:15 PM today that said he was in remission from cancer after 18 months of being stage 4 and having 2 near death experiences and a major stroke. His happiness and that of his family, daughters and grandchildren (which he could not see in person since COVID started) really outweighs the loss of 4-5 star recruit to another team.

While I love Syracuse basketball and am so happy right now, I can not be upset about losing a chance for a recruit who did not want to play in Syracuse anyway or anyhow.

I can only say be happy because there is too much real stuff out there that matters than losing a star recruit.

Bless our Lord and his Mother, Mary for their kindness and support.

I dont know one way or the other but from what is talked about on here over the years do you believe JB stays in contact with recruits like some of these other (younger) head coaches do? Genuinely asking? It seems the head coaches at some other programs do a lot of the heavy lifting and establish relationships with these kids where our assistants do most of the heavy lifting and JB tries to close. JB doesn't strike me as a big phone guy let alone DMing kids on all the numerous different social media accounts other coaches utilize.

JB this past summer was engaged as he’s almost ever has been. There were years where it seems like he coasted a lot. But he’s gone hard the past two years. I watched a lot of games or tournaments involving our recruits. JB was always there. Whether it be alone, with an asst or even with all of them. We saw it here all summer as that stuff got posted with pictures. As to things like texting and phone calls, that is for the most part the asts like most schools. I see interview after interview of recruits talking about the schools they’re interested in and almost all of them talk about their relationship with an assistant and how they talk all the time blah blah blah. I rarely see a recruit say yea I talk to HC ABC all the time about life and school etc.

Wow... I thought he had picked up his recruiting efforts lately. For someone like yourself who has inside knowledge, I guess he hasn't. I do think that his legacy can help with some kids but others, not so much. One of the things I've been concerned with is if recruits learn about his track record of treating players very inconsistently and how some get to be in his dog house (i.e. Roberson comes to mind).

he has.

JB did decent on the road this year but thats such a small part of the puzzle...those visits are short and sweet and then its about communication with these kids and the families. I think our assistants do the majority of the communicating so the relationships established are mostly with them and not the head coach they will be playing for. These younger coaches are tech savvy and are probably in constant contact with their priority targets...idk if that can be said for our head coach. Not saying thats the problem here with the JJ recruitment but this isn't a new topic around here the past couple years and has been mentioned a few times but posters with some knowledge about the situation.

the communicating like texting is mostly with the asts at most schools. Most recruits themselves say that in their interviews.

Congratulations, Norte Dame for getting a player that we really wanted. Now recruit a team that will mesh with his style and skills because one talented player is not worth much without a good team to support him.

want to put this in perspective. I received a text from my brother-in-law about 5:15 PM today that said he was in remission from cancer after 18 months of being stage 4 and having 2 near death experiences and a major stroke. His happiness and that of his family, daughters and grandchildren (which he could not see in person since COVID started) really outweighs the loss of 4-5 star recruit to another team.

While I love Syracuse basketball and am so happy right now, I can not be upset about losing a chance for a recruit who did not want to play in Syracuse anyway or anyhow.

I can only say be happy because there is too much real stuff out there that matters than losing a star recruit.

Bless our Lord and his Mother, Mary for their kindness and support.

So glad to here this news. I myself have taken an optimistic view of things for similar reasons. This past May we put down our 11.5 year old beagle mix due to an aggressive cancer that took her from great to sick like a switch went off. We had no real warning and fully expected she was on pace for a few more years she was my shadow. The week after this my mother's 7 yr battle with cancer reached its breaking point and she entered Hospice at 58 yrs old. She passed on July 13. A week after that my grandmother passed as well as my wife's 24 yr old cousin died in a car wreck. I look back at that and have not much of a complaint about such things this year. Sorry to add to this but love reading a good story vs a sad one. Godspeed.

All that wrapped around getting CoVid twice. 2021 man- it's been a year. Blessed to just have some optimism for hoops and hoops to watch in general.

the communicating like texting is mostly with the asts at most schools. Most recruits themselves say that in their interviews.
Yup. You can even have an intern text and send emails. I can picture an asst calling a player and say, hold on one second, Coach Boeheim is right here. I would almost guarantee JAB keeps a close handle on a lot of potential recruits and knows how they are doing during practice and in games.

So glad to here this news. I myself have taken an optimistic view of things for similar reasons. This past May we put down our 11.5 year old beagle mix due to an aggressive cancer that took her from great to sick like a switch went off. We had no real warning and fully expected she was on pace for a few more years she was my shadow. The week after this my mother's 7 yr battle with cancer reached its breaking point and she entered Hospice at 58 yrs old. She passed on July 13. A week after that my grandmother passed as well as my wife's 24 yr old cousin died in a car wreck. I look back at that and have not much of a complaint about such things this year. Sorry to add to this but love reading a good story vs a sad one. Godspeed.

All that wrapped around getting CoVid twice. 2021 man- it's been a year. Blessed to just have some optimism for hoops and hoops to watch in general.
Wow. Very sorry to hear. Hope you have a great support group.

I feel for the assistant coaches. I do not feel for Boeheim one bit. If he worked harder on recruiting, these would be layup recruits for this program. The asst coaches keep the kids this interested and then realize they don’t want to play for a very old man regardless of legacy
6ED266F5-E26D-4A07-A430-20F5C2837A42.gif

I dont know one way or the other but from what is talked about on here over the years do you believe JB stays in contact with recruits like some of these other (younger) head coaches do? Genuinely asking? It seems the head coaches at some other programs do a lot of the heavy lifting and establish relationships with these kids where our assistants do most of the heavy lifting and JB tries to close. JB doesn't strike me as a big phone guy let alone DMing kids on all the numerous different social media accounts other coaches utilize.
I dont think JB can text from a land line

I saw somewhere Starling mentioned that he felt good about the bond he built with Brey and that helped him decide on ND.
That i can understand. That might be all you need.
Old, disconnected JB, vs unknown quantity in Scheyer, vs a personal affinity for Brey and a nice campus?

You never know what resonates with anyone. And not all decisions are made with complete rationality, or even complete understanding of all the factors and circumstances.

JJ didn't do anything wrong, so i wish him luck in all games that don't affect us.

I feel for the assistant coaches. I do not feel for Boeheim one bit. If he worked harder on recruiting, these would be layup recruits for this program. The asst coaches keep the kids this interested and then realize they don’t want to play for a very old man regardless of legacy
Actually a bit puzzled by this now…
The first part of your post proposes that JJ would have been a lay-up if JB had only tried harder - but then you say it wouldn’t matter, as no kid will come play for a coach that old, “regardless”

Read it how you want. His HS coach and Brey must have really laid it on.

Actually a bit puzzled by this now…
The first part of your post proposes that JJ would have been a lay-up if JB had only tried harder - but then you say it wouldn’t matter, as no kid will come play for a coach that old, “regardless”
Let me clear it up. The allure of the program is very enticing to recruits. The dome. JB. Everything they see for the brand of CUSE. The asst coaches work a recruit 90% of the time. If that was maybe an even split with JB and asst coaches, then it would be different.

i think a backyard kid like JJ is or can be a layup type of recruit. However because they do not get to know JB the way they know the asst coaches, there is certainly a change when they do. This is normal when you have a 75 year old coach. I just think the sequencing is very off

Let me clear it up. The allure of the program is very enticing to recruits. The dome. JB. Everything they see for the brand of CUSE. The asst coaches work a recruit 90% of the time. If that was maybe an even split with JB and asst coaches, then it would be different.

i think a backyard kid like JJ is or can be a layup type of recruit. However because they do not get to know JB the way they know the asst coaches, there is certainly a change when they do. This is normal when you have a 75 year old coach. I just think the sequencing is very off
And what does any of this have to do with the first episode of Storied?

Well 4 of his final 5 choices had an odd correlation - Brey, Collins, Scheyer (Coach K protégés) and JB (Coach K buddy).

Doubt Coach K or Roy were tweeting, texting, traveling constantly either to get recruits. This is Brey’s highest recruit ever, he’s been on the hot seat (note who was #1 on the very warm list in this article. Hot Seat Report - 17 College Basketball Coaches that are on the Hot Seat
I also bet that despite many of the board expert’s opinions - that a recruit’s biggest worry isn’t with JB but the opposite - the worry that he won’t be here.

1. Hats off to JJ and family: recruiting done right. Due diligence deluxe and no circus.
2. Some people like some people and dislike others, for no objective reason. It happens. Not just in recruiting, but in life.
3. JJ is going to a fine academic institution. It’s basketball pedigree may not be as storied as SU’s, but during JJ’s time, they may be equal to, or better than, SU. Who knows.
4. Kids go away to school. If they didn’t, SU would be D-3.
5. Maybe the kid did not want to live in a fish bowl.
6. Maybe the kid and/or his family have seen how fans have treated Buddy and Joe.
7. He’s been in Indiana for a while. Maybe he likes it there.
8. He didn’t chose Duke, so it’s not just about basketball.
9. I hope JJ isn’t naive enough to believe his player relationship with Brey will be the same as his recruiting relationship.
10. IMO, the problem isn’t JB: he is who he is. The problem is that none of our assistants are Mike Hopkins or Troy Weaver.

I will root for JJ to do well, but for SU to crush ND (as always)

Status
Not open for further replies.