Class of 2018 - PG/SG Sam Rautins (CN) to Canisius | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG/SG Sam Rautins (CN) to Canisius

He's the spitting image of Andy. Imagine a team with Kid Autry, Jimmy Jr, Ethan Thompson and Sam Rautins. I had to take a look after reading the Leo article.

He doesn't get a lot of lift on his release. He has a smooth stroke, but it looks to me just a bit like he's aiming it as he shoots. Just a bit mechanical, but he's still young.

Was good friends with Buddy when they lived in Dewitt. Imagine that JD team with the 2 of them if he was still living here.

Is young Rautins a legit recruiting target? Does he look like a possible P5 player?

Offer him!

Close him! ;)

Or is he like that other Canadian dude who is all in for Cuse, but whom we haven't offered?(Remembering names isnt my strong point, like when I ticked off a member by not knowing some announcer's name earlier this season, so I hope no one finds that description overly offensive)

Plays a lot like Andy. But noticed some differences. Sam doesnt have as quick of a release and requires more space to get shot off. But im sure if you look at both their high school tapes they are identicle

Close him! ;)

Or is he like that other Canadian dude who is all in for Cuse, but whom we haven't offered?(Remembering names isnt my strong point, like when I ticked off a member by not knowing some announcer's name earlier this season, so I hope no one finds that description overly offensive)

I meant dude playing in Canada, didn't realize we'd offered him(I havent checked in here much during this season, it was kind of depressing), and it turns out that hours after mentioning him, the Cuse closed him! Weird coincidence. Either way, I'm going to pat myself on the back and take a bow, because...well, I think it would feel nice. We need something to feel nice around now, right?

Anyhow, for now, I am liking this Canadian pipeline. I hope Sam can do his name proud!

Still listed as 2018 on most recruiting sites. He is all in for 'Cuse (fam and fan), so we'll really have to mess this one up to miss on Sam. Kid can really stroke it.
Hopefully this doesn't end up one of the most quoted posts on this site

Sam Rautins EYBL Game Logs so far...

April 21 vs. Team Melo - Shot 1-5 from the field and 0-4 from three in 8 minutes. Had 2 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 steals, and 0 blocks.
April 22 vs. Portland Basketball Club - Shot 2-5 from the field and 2-5 from three in 11 minutes. Had 6 points, 1 rebounds, 3 assists, 0 steals, and 0 blocks.
April 22 vs. BABC - Shot 3-3 from the field and 2-2 from three in 9 minutes. Had 9 points, 0 rebounds, 1 assists, 0 steals, and 0 blocks.
April 23 vs. Expressions Elite - Shot 3-8 from the field and 2-4 from three in 8 minutes. Had 8 points, 0 rebounds, 1 assists, 0 steals, and 0 blocks.
April 28 vs. Team United - Shot 1-6 from the field and 0-2 from three in 12 minutes. Had 4 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, and 0 blocks.
April 29 vs. Team Takeover - Shot 0-2 from the field and 0-2 from three in 6 minutes. Had 0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 steals, and 0 blocks.
April 29 vs. Seattle Rotary - Shot 0-0 from the field and 0-0 from three in 4 minutes. Had 0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 steals, and 0 blocks.
April 30 vs. Nike South Beach - Shot 0-2 from the field and 0-2 from three in 9 minutes. Had 0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 steals, and 0 blocks.

Averaging 3.6 points, 0.8 rebounds, 1 assist and 0.3 steals in 8.4 minutes. He's made 10-27 shots (37%) from the field and 6-21 (29%) from three.

Have you had much chance to watch him play in person? Is he going to be good enough to play at Syracuse?

Have you had much chance to watch him play in person? Is he going to be good enough to play at Syracuse?

I've seen him play a few times. It's hard to say if he's going to be good enough. He certainly not good enough right now, but I'm not ready to lean in either direction regarding his long term future. Andy was a late bloomer and same could happen with Sam. Was looking forward to seeing how he handled the talent in the EYBL. So far he's found very few ways to contribute beyond shooting the ball, which he hasn't done well either.

Some had asked about young Rautins of late. Sam hasn't done much for CIA in the EYBL this spring/summer. Here are his HS highlights from this past season...

Read the Buddy Boeheim article on Syracuse.com from today -- Sam Rautins is mentioned.
He looks like a mid major player at best. I could see him doing well for an Ivy or team like Canisus.