PGA championship thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

PGA championship thread

This is hilarious. 0.0% chance a hack golfer can come even close to an 88 on the black course
I was being humble. I am between 5-6 handicap.
At Drumlins I shot a personal best 72.
It was from the blues though.

I was being humble. I am between 5-6 handicap.
At Drumlins I shot a personal best 72.
It was from the blues though.
Gotcha. I'm an 8 and last time I played the black I think I shot a 96. Of course I was delirious from getting no sleep in the parking lot the night before

Last edited:
I remember having discussions like - higher regular wins or major wins but less total wins.

For example, would you rather have:

8 tour wins + 1 major wins (9 total wins)
or
1 tour win + 4 majors ( 5 total wins)

The major wins of course is the answer. But my response would be it is a stupid discussion because no player would have 4 major wins and only 1 regular win over any period of time. Nobody has ever had a split like that, or close to that... nobody ever will have a split like that.

And yet Brooks Koepka might. The win totals above are Justin Thomas and Brooks Koepka since the start of the 2015/2016 season.

It's just remarkable to me.
Assuming Koepka wins today that will be 3 majors out of 5, with a 4th tournament being a second.
Andy North is an odd case.

2 US Opens, only 1 other win EVER on tour.

Now this has got interesting... DJ has to save par with the 9 footer coming up on 16.

Koepka is leaking oil.
Nothing easy for him this back 9.
-9 is likely going to win.

He missed. Still if DJ comes in at -7, could be interesting down the stretch.

He missed. Still if DJ comes in at -7, could be interesting down the stretch.
Brooks has got to ball up and play par golf here.

I would’ve thought he was $$ to do so.

This is like Phil all over again...

I had put $30 on DJ at 22-1 before today. (payout of $690) When things were really peaking for DJ they would have paid me out $256 live... they quickly adjusted the odds a minute or two after. Should have cashed out.

Dustin going from -8 to -6 ended this.
Too much a cushion for Koepka.

Now I get $2 to walk away.

Well we did get some real excitement for about a 30-45 minute stretch, which is more then I was expecting at the beginning.

I can see a fat shot coming.

... I guess not. Koepka does just not enough to win.

This is hilarious. 0.0% chance a hack golfer can come even close to an 88 on the black course
but are hacks playing from the back tees? are they even open for the avg golfer to go back there? on top of that the rough is worse than it ever is for the avg round. playing from the tips stresses your driving game, but on a good day if you hit 80% of the fairways some could survive it. the pros would struggle on the course even more if they had to go find their own balls with the rough like it was this weekend.

Pops and I stood at 9 for a few hours today and saw all the leaders go through. Walked back to 18 and Koepka was -13 and DJ was at -7. Decided to try to beat the traffic after 4 straight days at the course and having to drive back to Cuse (in the car now). We took the shuttle bus to the lot where our hotel shuttle would pick us up and it was down to 2 shots. We thought about taking the bus right back to the course but instead watched the finish from the hotel bar before hitting the road. I’m so thankful Koepka didn’t blow that because I would’ve kicked myself for not seeing it live.

As for the course, what an absolute monster. We spent a decent chunk of our day on Saturday split between 5 and 15. Just unbelievably difficult holes. The rough wasn’t quite as terrible as the US Open in 2009 but it still altered a ton of shots. Only complaints would have to be the food and concessions and the lack of televisions around the course. Not sure if that’s a PGA rule, but it’s impossible to get a feel for what’s happening around the course without the video monitors. There are very few vantage points where you can see much more than the green or tee box you’re watching because of the elevation changes and dog legs.

Pops and I stood at 9 for a few hours today and saw all the leaders go through. Walked back to 18 and Koepka was -13 and DJ was at -7. Decided to try to beat the traffic after 4 straight days at the course and having to drive back to Cuse (in the car now). We took the shuttle bus to the lot where our hotel shuttle would pick us up and it was down to 2 shots. We thought about taking the bus right back to the course but instead watched the finish from the hotel bar before hitting the road. I’m so thankful Koepka didn’t blow that because I would’ve kicked myself for not seeing it live.

As for the course, what an absolute monster. We spent a decent chunk of our day on Saturday split between 5 and 15. Just unbelievably difficult holes. The rough wasn’t quite as terrible as the US Open in 2009 but it still altered a ton of shots. Only complaints would have to be the food and concessions and the lack of televisions around the course. Not sure if that’s a PGA rule, but it’s impossible to get a feel for what’s happening around the course without the video monitors. There are very few vantage points where you can see much more than the green or tee box you’re watching because of the elevation changes and dog legs.
Having volunteered at several PGA tournaments, I think they don't have television on the course. Also, it didn't look like they had people running the leaderboards or thru boards, which is a change. As far as the food goes, not sure about the selection but it usually is pricey. Will be in Rochester for the senior PGA championship this weekend and will see how things are there.

Got a late invite to attend Saturday. Course is a monster but getting there is a PITA, and the concession plan was atrocious. Also the Ryder Cup is going to be like a hooligan soccer match when that rolls into town. I'm glad I went but having been to a handful of PGA events I thought it was the worst course to see actual golf and the trek in and out is an unavoidable pain. I did like that players were penalized for bad shots, not a fan of being able to hit into trouble with no real threat.

Went to the tournament on Thursday. It was nice to get back to the black course. I've played it a few times, but not in a number of years

I remembered how big the course is but your minds eye can't really recreate it. The bunkers are massive and deep. The elevation changes are huge also. TV doesn't really do it justice. And I forgot how difficult it was to walk the course.

It was a decent day. Was sloppy in the morning from the rain the night before but it dried up as the sun came out. We followed around tiger and koepka for a few holes and saw most of the rest of the best. Although going there reminded me how much I rather sit at home and be able to see everything going on. But it was nice for one day.

From what I saw Cuse was the most represented college on the clothing of the patrons by far. As it should be in NYS. Second was either Auburn or Clemson. Third probably Virginia. Only saw one eph uconn hat

I went Friday and got 3 shout outs for my Cuse golf shirt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom