PGA Tour Discussion rest of 2018 (Regular Event Thread) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

PGA Tour Discussion rest of 2018 (Regular Event Thread)

Was at GA today... followed DJ he makes the game look so easy at some point it almost got dull watching. He's that good.

There are few if any long hitters who are as accurate with his drives. And he is now great with his wedges. so it makes the game look so simple.

Was just watching the European - Fiji Tour event as I was finishing off some work.

Some on the course reporter was disconnected for a significant time, and when he comes back on air the Aussie accent broadcaster says "Jesus Christ, happy to have you back" ,

Tiger 5 back at Bridgestone. Just close enough to the lead for the fanboys to think he actually has a chance.

Tiger 5 back at Bridgestone. Just close enough to the lead for the fanboys to think he actually has a chance.

There is a separate thread for Tiger haters. This is not a fanboy thread, its about people who want to talk about or browse posts on golf.

Last edited:
I have been to about 8 different tournament sites but I enjoyed it the most as a spectator at Firstone back in 2013. Overhead it looks like a boring up and down layout but there are a few subtle turns in the last 100 yards that tend to force players to really work the ball on their second shot.

The other great thing is you could hang out at the 150-200 yard mark between 2 holes, and easily follow 2 holes very easily. It made it easier to see multiple shots from multiple players. It is surprising how many people players struggle with the drive when asked to hit it straight, so there was about 5 times that day where I guy it in the rough, and I was able to get really close to the shot.

Tickets were really cheap for a WGC event, but I assume that is partly due to location.

A question about course selection for the majors. Specifically, Bellerive. It's not even ranked in the Top 100 American courses. Ranked 118th, according to Golf Digest. Why is it hosting the PGA?:

Bellerive Country Club Course Tour - Golf Digest

Several factors go into hosting a major championship event. For the PGA, these include:

1. Championship Level Course: Just because it's ranked 118 doesn't mean it's not a difficult or honest test of golf. Some courses that are ranked higher are just too short for today's game.

2. Weather & Geography: The PGA doesn't like to go to places like Florida or Texas in Late August as it's usually stifling hot, muggy, and likely to have weather delays. They will do this (Southern Hills, Atlanta A.C., e.g., but it's not their preference. (This will change with the move to May). Additionally, unlike the Masters which is run by Augusta National, the PGA is a national organization and needs to spread the love around. Courses like Crooked Stick, Bellerive & Vallhalla in the Mid-West are solid but maybe not as highly ranked as all the amazing courses in the Westchester, Long Island area.

3. Willingness of membership to host. Many prestigious courses (Pine Valley, Butler National, Cypress Point) either have no desire to shut down their course for multiple weeks (when you include set-up time), have gender-based policies which disqualify them, or charge too much for the rights to host the event.

4. Not wanting to compete with U.S. Open Courses. A number of courses (Baltusrol, Winged Foot, Medinah, Oak Hill, etc...) have hosted both, but usually a course is an "Open" course or a "PGA" course at any given point in time. I doubt we see a PGA @ Pebble, Oakmont (not since the 70s), Shinnecock, Pinehurst, any time soon.

5. Parking and Concession Space: A lot of majors are held at venues which have 36 (or more holes) and one of the non-championship courses is used as a parking lot for the week, as well as for merchandising.

6. Hotels. Some great courses (Sand Hills, Bandon Dunes (multiple), Streamsong (multiple)) are so isolated that accommodations would be nearly impossible to find.

Thanks! Everything you say makes sense--except for one thing. It is hard to imagine a location more stifling, hot or muggy than St. Louis in August. I've been there.

It seems that one reason that the PGA is a distant 4th in the majors is precisely b/c of course selection. That, and its date on the calendar. Oh, and one more factor: This 'Majors' last chance' meme sucks. How about highlighting the fact that the field is likely the strongest of the four majors, which I believe it to be. That sets this tourney apart from the others.

Thanks! Everything you say makes sense--except for one thing. It is hard to imagine a location more stifling, hot or muggy than St. Louis in August. I've been there.

It seems that one reason that the PGA is a distant 4th in the majors is precisely b/c of course selection. That, and its date on the calendar. Oh, and one more factor: This 'Majors' last chance' meme sucks. How about highlighting the fact that the field is likely the strongest of the four majors, which I believe it to be. That sets this tourney apart from the others.

A great summary by Poppy above this.

The Majors Last Chance is a lame CBS thing I believe. They will be first next year when it gets rescheduled.

The PGA has actually played at some very interesting spots the last few years... although I have read some mention that Bellerive is a step back.

The US Open has played at some real duds the last 5 years. Chambers Bay... Erin Hills. Shinnecock itself is not a dud, but the US Open doesn't know how to manage it.

Last edited:
Thanks, great insight. I'm truly a 'duffer' when it comes to this, so I really enjoy taking tips from the pros on the board!

I have been to about 8 different tournament sites but I enjoyed it the most as a spectator at Firstone back in 2013. Overhead it looks like a boring up and down layout but there are a few subtle turns in the last 100 yards that tend to force players to really work the ball on their second shot.

The other great thing is you could hang out at the 150-200 yard mark between 2 holes, and easily follow 2 holes very easily. It made it easier to see multiple shots from multiple players. It is surprising how many people players struggle with the drive when asked to hit it straight, so there was about 5 times that day where I guy it in the rough, and I was able to get really close to the shot.

Tickets were really cheap for a WGC event, but I assume that is partly due to location.
We always do a customer event at firestone during the wgc. We rent a villa on 16 about 80 yards away from green. About parallel with edge of pond. It’s great to sit in the shade and watch the guys come down the hill.

I too, like the Firestone layout. You can see multiple holes from just a few locations. I’ll miss the course.

We always do a customer event at firestone during the wgc. We rent a villa on 16 about 80 yards away from green. About parallel with edge of pond. It’s great to sit in the shade and watch the guys come down the hill.

I too, like the Firestone layout. You can see multiple holes from just a few locations. I’ll miss the course.

I guess the Champions Tour is coming to the course, which would normally seem like a nice event for a city like Akron.

But to lose an event that has all the top 50 players coming year after year is a big blow for golf fans in that area.

There is a separate thread for Tiger haters. This is not a fanboy thread, its about people who want to talk about or browse posts on golf.

Don't hate Tiger, just the coverage. I got an ESPN alert on my phone that he's 1 under today. He's 10+ strokes back, whoop dee damn do.

Don't hate Tiger, just the coverage. I got an ESPN alert on my phone that he's 1 under today. He's 10+ strokes back, whoop dee damn do.

They should have sent an alert that World #1 Dustin Johnson was 10 shots back.

7 under through 10 holes, he is now only 4 shots out of the lead. Great run,

Justin Thomas wins pulling away, never really threatened on the back nine.

It's sad to see a tournament site with such a rich tradition as Firestone come to an end. I am sure some local families have watched the tournament for years.

That being said it was understandable given revenue considerations (gate revenue) and the fact that FedEx is a major sponsor. It will be odd to see the former site of the St. Jude Classic becoming a permanent WGC tournament site. That course does not seem to be that memorable to me, but maybe it was because the tournament was not that relevant.

Justin Thomas wins pulling away, never really threatened on the back nine.
No doubt Justin Thomas will be the favorite next week and it will be interesting to see how Bellerive plays as it hosts the 100th PGA Championship.

No doubt Justin Thomas will be the favorite next week and it will be interesting to see how Bellerive plays as it hosts the 100th PGA Championship.

Per my site, the current betting favourite is Dustin Johnson, but Justin Thomas is right there as well at 14:1.

1533511726266.png

Per my site, the current betting favourite is Dustin Johnson, but Justin Thomas is right there as well at 14:1.

View attachment 136111
Boy, at those odds, you're really taking the worst of it if you want to bet Woods. He's probably the least likely winner from among that group.