Phil Jackson tells Carmelo Anthony to put off free agency until 2015 | Syracusefan.com

Phil Jackson tells Carmelo Anthony to put off free agency until 2015

Jackson convincing Melo to stay is far more beneficial to Phil than it is to Carmelo.

Well, if Carmelo really wants to win a title, waiting a year makes sense. He would then have the potential to collaborate with his friend LeBron. Maybe NY is that place, maybe Miami could be that place - who knows.

Also, Carmelo seems to really like NY. I do not think he really wants to leave; however, re-signing into the cauldron doesn't make sense either. Why not try & buy Phil for a year & if all goes well then see who he might get to play with. He should be able to get to a Chicago or Houston situation as easily next year as this.

Speaking of Chicago, in some respects the situation is attractive, but no way will he have a legacy in Michaeltown. If he can bring a title to NY, he will have established his own legacy.

Well, if Carmelo really wants to win a title, waiting a year makes sense. He would then have the potential to collaborate with his friend LeBron. Maybe NY is that place, maybe Miami could be that place - who knows.

Also, Carmelo seems to really like NY. I do not think he really wants to leave; however, re-signing into the cauldron doesn't make sense either. Why not try & buy Phil for a year & if all goes well then see who he might get to play with. He should be able to get to a Chicago or Houston situation as easily next year as this.

Speaking of Chicago, in some respects the situation is attractive, but no way will he have a legacy in Michaeltown. If he can bring a title to NY, he will have established his own legacy.
He couldn't reel in Kerr. That should open Melo's eyes right there.

Melo needs to get out and never look back
Between the dysfunctional disaster that is Dolan and the Ego Master Jackson - yeah he should get the hell out.

Phil isn't exactly instilling a ton of faith in himself. I'd wish he'd just be Phil Jackson and not Pat Riley 2.0.

Shut up Phil.

Get out while you can brother.

Melo is in a tough situation this year. It's too bad the Knicks didn't have all those contracts expiring this year. I think he'd like to stay in NY but who knows what will happen in 2015. And if he stays, the Knicks have no chance to win it all this coming year. And his time in his prime is rapidly diminishing. I wonder if Melo might consider signing a 1 year deal with an NBA team with the best shot to win it all next year and then pursue a long term deal in 2015? It would involve a major financial risk. But he's already wealthy and winning a championship long term would be priceless.

I can't imagine he would sign a one year deal with a good team next year; why not just sign for 4 years with say the Bulls instead this summer? He could be the best FA out there this year (though that may not matter a whole lot, he can probably get the max either year)

If he collaborates with Lebron, he won't leave a legacy either, it'll be Lebron's. If he stays in NY and never wins one, his legacy will be behind Ewing's. I don't think legacy should even be entering his mind. He needs to go where he has the best chance to win a championship before that ever comes into play, even if it's in someone else's shadow.

Phil is doing exactly what you would expect Phil to do here. He's trying to leverage the fact that he's got 13 rings so he's got most of the credibility here to see if he can get Melo to do what he wants.

Phil shouldn't say this publicly its dumb. Say Melo played this year and tore his ACL would he get a max contract if he got hurt? Melo would be 31 and coming back from an injury which takes time to heal (see Rajon Rondo.)

Instead, he thinks because he coached Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Shaq O'Neal, Kobe Bryant and won 11 titles that gets him creditability in a position he has never held before.

Melo should get his money now and pick the spot he wants either Chicago or New York. New York's advantage is the extra year they can offer maybe Melo won't take a complete max contract, but the Knicks can't expect him to take a huge discount and then tell Melo that Love, Rondo will be targets when it appears Love will be moved this summer and will likely sign an extension as part of that trade. Lebron James is not going to New York its a pipe dream. Philip is very arrogant in his position IMO he has no equity in his position and himself is being compensated at 12 million dollars a year. I mean the next Knicks coach is going to be either Kurt Rambis, Derek Fisher and he expects that to give Melo confidence to trust his plan?

The problem with NY is you have no idea if Dolan will not meddle and what free agents they can entice to come in 2015. The problem with him going to the Bulls is no one can say if Rose will ever be the same again. And Noah is coming off surgery as well. Lots of risk there as well. Not a lot of competitive teams can afford him. Will be interesting to see if the Rockets make a play and could make it work. And I agree with those who say it is unlikely he would ever take a 1 year deal. But it's fun to speculate on the possibility. In the long run, it would suck if he never ends up in a situation with enough other talent on a team to be a legitimate contender. Otherwise, the unfair IMHO rep he has among some that you can't win a championship with him, because he doesn't make a team better and all the other BS will be with him forever.

The problem with NY is you have no idea if Dolan will not meddle and what free agents they can entice to come in 2015. The problem with him going to the Bulls is no one can say if Rose will ever be the same again. And Noah is coming off surgery as well. Lots of risk there as well. Not a lot of competitive teams can afford him. Will be interesting to see if the Rockets make a play and could make it work. And I agree with those who say it is unlikely he would ever take a 1 year deal. But it's fun to speculate on the possibility. In the long run, it would suck if he never ends up in a situation with enough other talent on a team to be a legitimate contender. Otherwise, the unfair IMHO rep he has among some that you can't win a championship with him, because he doesn't make a team better and all the other BS will be with him forever.
Houston would be a good fit, Harding shoots too much, needs to be the 2nd option, Parsons can move to PF, Howard and the other young big man. They have 3 good guards including Lin, and the team is young, Melo wouldn't have to play 40+ minutes. They won 54 games with Howard sitting out towards the end of the year, with an ankle problem, closed badly, having Melo who can carry a team for a number of games would solve that.

Melo needs to get out and never look back

Our photoshop wizards need to put Melo's face on this picture if he leaves the Knicks this summer.

wolverine-explosion.jpg

The chances the Knicks would trade Melo to the Celtics for Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, and the Nets first round picks is about as likely as Jim Dolan selling the Knicks.

Phil Jackson will not help the Celtics he hates them because of Red Auerbach-Red Holtzman rivalry. Kevin Love could become a Celtic and I think that may happen for the 6th pick, 2 first round picks next year, Jared Sullinger, and Brandon Bass, but Melo will not be a Celtic.

The chances the Knicks would trade Melo to the Celtics for Jeff Green, Brandon Bass, and the Nets first round picks is about as likely as Jim Dolan selling the Knicks.

Phil Jackson will not help the Celtics he hates them because of Red Auerbach-Red Holtzman rivalry. Kevin Love could become a Celtic and I think that may happen for the 6th pick, 2 first round picks next year, Jared Sullinger, and Brandon Bass, but Melo will not be a Celtic.

melo-and-joseph.jpg

6a01156f2c3287970c014e5fe8659d970c-800wi

2573-693691Fr.jpg

The last Orangemen to play for the Celts, Kris Joseph, Fab Melo, Sherm Douglas & Dave Bing. Who am I missing?

I'm not totally sure with the CBA, but I don't think the Knicks could take players back in a sign and trade anyway.

Edit: I think I'm wrong about this; the FAQ isn't totally clear when it talks about a team "receiving" a player in a sign and trade; I originally thought it meant either side of the trade, but I believe they just refer to the team acquiring the signed player. So the Knicks would be ok, I think.