Phil Jackson tells Carmelo Anthony to put off free agency until 2015 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Phil Jackson tells Carmelo Anthony to put off free agency until 2015

I'm not totally sure with the CBA, but I don't think the Knicks could take players back in a sign and trade anyway.

Edit: I think I'm wrong about this; the FAQ isn't totally clear when it talks about a team "receiving" a player in a sign and trade; I originally thought it meant either side of the trade, but I believe they just refer to the team acquiring the signed player. So the Knicks would be ok, I think.
You can acquire players in a sign and trade, but I see you see that now. Part of the reason the Rockets let Parsons become a rFA now instead of 1 more year at cheap money was to make him a bargaining chip in a sign and trade for Melo, Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo Chris Bosh, Lebron James or for the Lakers 7th pick.

Green, Bass, 2 Nets first round picks wouldn't be enough for Melo IMO. The Knicks would want one of Avery Bradley/Jared Sullinger, Bass, Nets first round picks to start and I doubt Danny Ainge will trade all of his assets for Melo, Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo 3 some.

I'm not sure how much leverage the Knicks would have. If Melo wants to go to Boston he can just tell Phil he's going to sign with them as a FA, no?

I'm not sure how much leverage the Knicks would have. If Melo wants to go to Boston he can just tell Phil he's going to sign with them as a FA, no?
Celtics have only 28 million in cap space. Kevin Love and Melo would have to take discounts without both being sign and trades.

Bass would be an expiring contract at about 6.5 million, but the only reason the Knicks would accommodate Boston would be for those Nets picks in 2016 and 2018 when Deron Williams, Joe Johnson contracts will have the Nets in salary cap hell and those picks should be good lottery selections.

Celtics have only 28 million in cap space. Kevin Love and Melo would have to take discounts without both being sign and trades.

Bass would be an expiring contract at about 6.5 million, but the only reason the Knicks would accommodate Boston would be for those Nets picks in 2016 and 2018 when Deron Williams, Joe Johnson contracts will have the Nets in salary cap hell and those picks should be good lottery selections.
Has Boston used it's amnesty yet?

If the Celtics get Love this summer, they'd have to trade for him though, and I can't see them beign able to trade for both Love and Melo. And next summer they should have plenty of cap space. I can't get in his mind, but it would seem to make more sense for Melo to take a paycut to go to Boston (if thats what he wanted to do) and allow Boston to keep those pieces to get some more help.
I can't really see Melo going to Boston without Love already being in the fold, so it would seem to be he'd be better off signing there and then Boston can use those assets to trade for Love. If possible.

Boston would need to clear cap space with Jeff Green 9 million 2yrs left, Brandon Bass 6.5 million 1 yr left, Gerald Wallace 20 million yrs left.

One of those guys would have to go to Minnesota for Love. Love will be a Celtic or Bull IMO. Celtics could offer Bass, Sullinger, 6th pick, 17th pick, Boston 2015 1st round pick, Clippers 2015 1st round pick and that should be enough for T-Wolves as they won't get better from the Bulls, Lakers. The only team that I think can beat Boston is Cleveland if they offered the 1st pick overall. Chandler Parsons wouldn't agree to a sign and trade to Minnesota so Houston would be out unless the T-Wolves stupidly wanted Asik and Lin and crap.

Celtics could offer Bass, Sullinger, 6th pick, 17th pick, Boston 2015 1st round pick, Clippers 2015 1st round pick and that should be enough for T-Wolves as they won't get better from the Bulls, Lakers.
Yeesh. You might be right. If that's the best the Timberwolves are looking at... ugh.

Houston can offer- Chandler Parsons,late first round pick that offer may seem appealing, but Parsons won't resign with Minnesota.

Chicago can offer 16th and 19th picks this year, Taj Gibson that is decent, but 2 non-lottery picks?

Boston can offer the 6th pick, 17th pick this year, 2 first rounders next yr, Jared Sullinger decent young player, expiring contract in Bass. Boston also has a 10 million dollar trade exception to eat any bad contracts Minnesota wanted to add as well.

La Lakers can offer the 7th pick and nothing

Cleveland could offer the 1st overall pick and goodies, but unless Lebron James was coming no way the Cavs gamble on 1 year of Love for the first pick.

Which offer would you take?

Houston can offer- Chandler Parsons,late first round pick that offer may seem appealing, but Parsons won't resign with Minnesota.

Chicago can offer 16th and 19th picks this year, Taj Gibson that is decent, but 2 non-lottery picks?

Boston can offer the 6th pick, 17th pick this year, 2 first rounders next yr, Jared Sullinger decent young player, expiring contract in Bass. Boston also has a 10 million dollar trade exception to eat any bad contracts Minnesota wanted to add as well.

La Lakers can offer the 7th pick and nothing

Cleveland could offer the 1st overall pick and goodies, but unless Lebron James was coming no way the Cavs gamble on 1 year of Love for the first pick.

Which offer would you take?

Golden State could also offer Barnes, Klay Thompson, and David Lee's contract to make the numbers work.

And Chicago can (and likely would have to) include either Nikola Mirotic or Jimmy Butler in a deal for Love.

I doubt Boston offers all of that for Love. I would guess it would be #6 and #17, one of the future 1sts from Brooklyn, and Sullinger.

If I'm Minnesota, I'd try to turn Boston's offer into a 3-way deal so that they can get somebody else instead of Sullinger. Sullinger + Pekovic is just as bad as Love + Pekovic defensively, but far worse offensively.

With that said, that would be my order of preference if I'm Minnesota: Golden State, Chicago, and then Boston (depending on who they could get instead of Sully, they could potentially jump to the top).

And if Cleveland is actually willing to offer #1 for Love, then I'd definitely take that.

Love and Melo together would be a defensive nightmare to say the least, but I'm sure Ainge will try to pull it off unless he wants to dump Rondo and go through another rebuilding season. Everyone talks about how great the Nets picks are, but is everyone sure they will bottom out. If Pierce and KG are gone, won't the cap increases keep them as at minimum a playoff team (if Lopez is healthy)?

GS could make the best offer of players for Love, and they should do it. Klay Thompson should be available for Love, and they need some extra help to make the next leap out West.

Melo's smartest move if he wants to win is to sign with Chicago. If the Bulls hold off on Love, they will have a decent roster around Melo (one that is one more shooter from being a very good match for his strengths/weaknesses), and two picks for depth (one PG as Rose insurance).

With the uncertainty in Indiana and Miami, I doubt Melo will want to leave the East. It's still the easiest path to the Finals for him.

Everyone talks about how great the Nets picks are, but is everyone sure they will bottom out. If Pierce and KG are gone, won't the cap increases keep them as at minimum a playoff team (if Lopez is healthy)?
I think the Nets are so far over the cap in the coming years that even with the cap increases they aren't very flexible.

By the time Boston is ready to challenge for a title, Melo will be almost 35, Houston has a good young team now, Melo could very well be the missing piece. If Melo really is about winning a Championship, and not the money Houston is the place to go, they already have 2 stars, in Howard, and Harden, Melo could very easily put them over the top.

I think the Nets are so far over the cap in the coming years that even with the cap increases they aren't very flexible.

There is probably a line of thought that says Prok will just do whatever he can and continue to take on bad contracts to get guys like Joe Johnson in the future, and maybe they will never bottom out. Not sure I buy that.

For 2016, the Nets are committed to a shade over 60 million between Lopez, Johnson, and Deron. Best case for the cap is prob $70 mllion.

Nets cap situation is crazy. They will be terrible if Joe Johnson and Deron Williams can't stay in elite shape. Lopez is an injury risk as well. They won't be able to sign any FAs and they highest paid guys will be in the mid 30's. No chance the Nets will be better than an 7 or 8 seed in the East and they have no draft picks because the Celtics and Hawks have them all thru 2018. Celtics can swap slots in 2017, Celtics have 2016 and 2018 Nets picks. Hawks can swap in 2015.

Even without Paul Pierce they will be WAY over the cap. KG only has 1 year left, but Jason Terry has 2 yrs 10 million left. The Nets can't afford to bottom out because the C's have their picks and unless they are winning FAs won't sign their unless they can win.

By the time Boston is ready to challenge for a title, Melo will be almost 35, Houston has a good young team now, Melo could very well be the missing piece. If Melo really is about winning a Championship, and not the money Houston is the place to go, they already have 2 stars, in Howard, and Harden, Melo could very easily put them over the top.

I really don't think Houston improves very much by replacing Parsons, losing Terrence Jones, and probably one of Lin/Asik, and adding Melo in. I still think they'd be around the #4 team in the West at best.

I didn't realize the Nets were that close to the cap with just those 3 guys- ouch. Now I can see why they are in trouble...too bad since Plumlee and Lopez look to give them a nice inside duo. They really have to hope KG and Terry retire this summer (is it possible that Terry could pull the old PJ Brown and un-retire in February to play for a contender?) and Williams doesn't look like he will age well. Johnson shoots well enough that he could become like Ray Allen as he gets older.

I really don't think Houston improves very much by replacing Parsons, losing Terrence Jones, and probably one of Lin/Asik, and adding Melo in. I still think they'd be around the #4 team in the West at best.
If Melo goes as a free agent, Houston doesn't lose any of those players. That's why I said if he's about winning, and not the money he'll take the 4 year contract.

If Melo goes as a free agent, Houston doesn't lose any of those players. That's why I said if he's about winning, and not the money he'll take the 4 year contract.

If he signs, then Houston still has to unload Lin and Asik somehow without taking money back. They're already over the cap for next year as is.

Another year older and a risk for injury...um, no thank you.