Philip Thomas | Syracusefan.com

Philip Thomas

chandler is not top 5 DE on his list.. hard to see Thomas being there either.. he is 3-4 inches and 20-30 lbs smaller than anyone else listed. how many safeties playing in the nfl at 190? Alabamas Safeties are bigger than our MLB.. to compete we need to close that gap.

Phil is a great athlete. Not always about how big you are. He had an eye for the ball and was there when he needed to be.

Not sure if Mel Kiper has seen the tape with all of the missed, non-wrap tackles

It's amazing people have such a hard time understanding the difference between play making in college and perceived ability to make plays in the NFL. The argument of, "well they didn't do this or that for us" is such a simpleton response.

chandler is not top 5 DE on his list.. hard to see Thomas being there either.. he is 3-4 inches and 20-30 lbs smaller than anyone else listed. how many safeties playing in the nfl at 190? Alabamas Safeties are bigger than our MLB.. to compete we need to close that gap.

Not comparing ability, but wasn't Ronnie Lott just 6 feet tall and 200 pounds? Wasn't Thomas one of our hardest hitters? Didn't he lead our team in interceptions?

Majority of the safeties in the NFL are around 200-210 lbs. I bring this up in every "Shamarko is too small for the NFL thread" but it applies here as well. Not sure why everyone thinks NFL safeties are 235 lb average. Reed, Polamalu, etc, etc, etc...... I've actually said this enough to know how to correctly spell Polamalu :eek:

Phil is a great athlete. Not always about how big you are. He had an eye for the ball and was there when he needed to be.

Love him, but the dropped pick six against Rutgers still hurts.

More classy posts from our own fans. With friends like these...
Someone really needs to build a wall around syracuse.com. :)

Someone really needs to build a wall around syracuse.com. :)

I take it back. I'm happy that he's rated highly. If he gets drafted and does well, which I AM hoping for, it's only more positive publicity for Syracuse and can only aid in recruiting.
...But let's be honest, if you go back to forums from the season, there are plenty of posts about how frustrated we were that he didn't wrap up.
Please don't banish me to syracuse.com

Plus...he doesn't speak English.

Hasn't that supposed stud from USC that's somewhere around 230lbs and runs a 4.3 been a bit of a bust? Steve Gregory has been a solid contributor at safety at 5' 11" 195lbs having never played safety until getting to the NFL.

I take it back. I'm happy that he's rated highly. If he gets drafted and does well, which I AM hoping for, it's only more positive publicity for Syracuse and can only aid in recruiting.
...But let's be honest, if you go back to forums from the season, there are plenty of posts about how frustrated we were that he didn't wrap up.

I'll back you up on that.

I like the idea of keeping these positive posts positive, but it'd be revisionist to pretend that the kid wasn't notorious around these parts for his "drop the shoulder into a guy without wrapping and see him scamper for 15 extra yards" tackle attempts.

Nevertheless, I'm happy for him if he gets drafted early and can make a career out of this.

HA...when Thomas and SU parted company many here told me I was nuts for even mentioning Thomas would get a look at the NFL.

Most here didn't think he would be drafted or get an undrafted free agent offer to come in for mini-camps or training camp. Now he is a Top 5 safety according to Kiper and lets be honest, even if Kiper isn't 100% correct about Thomas, the point is Thomas will get a "shot" to make an NFL team if people like Kiper have him graded like that Which many here said would never ever happen! Anyone want some salt and pepper with their Crow! LOL LOL

HA...when Thomas and SU parted company many here told me I was nuts for even mentioning Thomas would get a look at the NFL.

Most here didn't think he would be drafted or get an undrafted free agent offer to come in for mini-camps or training camp. Now he is a Top 5 safety according to Kiper and lets be honest, even if Kiper isn't 100% correct about Thomas, the point is Thomas will get a "shot" to make an NFL team if people like Kiper have him graded like that Which many here said would never ever happen! Anyone want some salt and pepper with their Crow! LOL LOL
I think people focused way too much on his poor tackling, which can easily be re-taught in the NFL. What cannot be taught is his natural instincts for finding the ball and his hip placement to stay on kids. As long as he keeps his head on straight (and that's a BIG if) then I think he has a shot at developing into an occasional pro bowl type corner. He's going to have to work hard, andI don't know if he has the mindset to do what he needs to do.

I think people focused way too much on his poor tackling, which can easily be re-taught in the NFL. What cannot be taught is his natural instincts for finding the ball and his hip placement to stay on kids. As long as he keeps his head on straight (and that's a BIG if) then I think he has a shot at developing into an occasional pro bowl type corner. He's going to have to work hard, andI don't know if he has the mindset to do what he needs to do.
Point is the NFL gives shots to guys who are far worse players and who are far bigger headcases.

I have no idea if Thomas makes it, but the point is he will get a shot to prove that he can or cannot