pick and roll | Syracusefan.com

pick and roll

jgeorge322

Living Legend
interesting today that we tried to pass to the screener off the pick and roll multiple times. we typically never pass to the screener. i don't think it worked once and led to some horrific turnovers (none worse than oshae's) but we actually tried it.

another thing i notice about the pick and roll, is from a fundamental perspective, the screener never rolls the proper way, at least how i was taught. our guy always turns the wrong way with no shot of sealing the defender. is this not the way a screen is taught these days, or do our guys just do it differently for some reason?

interesting today that we tried to pass to the screener off the pick and roll multiple times. we typically never pass to the screener. i don't think it worked once and led to some horrific turnovers (none worse than oshae's) but we actually tried it.

another thing i notice about the pick and roll, is from a fundamental perspective, the screener never rolls the proper way, at least how i was taught. our guy always turns the wrong way with no shot of sealing the defender. is this not the way a screen is taught these days, or do our guys just do it differently for some reason?

it reminds me of the bubble screen in football: nice idea but we always seem to be out-numbers. In football we have a receiver and one blocker against 2-3 defenders. In basketball, the screener has a guy on either side of him. he winds up not screening anybody. What would make the comparison perfect would be if the football receiver couldn't catch the ball and didn't know what to do with it if he did.

Allegedly, we run the high ball screen with our center to draw the opposing center away from the basket, opening up the lane for the guard (who supposedly benefits from said screen) on the drive. Looks okay on paper.

The reality? The opposing center hedges aggressively on the screen, and pushes the guard back away from the hoop even more, long enough for the screened guard to fight over the screen and back to his defender. The center on the opposing team often just stays there and now they have a double team on the guard. It's actually the complete opposite of the goal. What happens next is, that SU guard who is now double teamed because they didn't turn the corner fast enough, now waits for another guard/wing to come back to the ball, usually past the 3 point line where they, again, catch the ball not facing the basket. The center who originally set the screen, now simply falls back to the original center he was guarding who is usually still standing there doing nothing, and then we do the same thing again.

Allegedly, we run the high ball screen with our center to draw the opposing center away from the basket, opening up the lane for the guard (who supposedly benefits from said screen) on the drive. Looks okay on paper.

The reality? The opposing center hedges aggressively on the screen, and pushes the guard back away from the hoop even more, long enough for the screened guard to fight over the screen and back to his defender. The center on the opposing team often just stays there and now they have a double team on the guard. It's actually the complete opposite of the goal. What happens next is, that SU guard who is now double teamed because they didn't turn the corner fast enough, now waits for another guard/wing to come back to the ball, usually past the 3 point line where they, again, catch the ball not facing the basket. The center who originally set the screen, now simply falls back to the original center he was guarding who is usually still standing there doing nothing, and then we do the same thing again.

Yup. Also, there were times when ODU actually rolled with Chukwu and guarded him for some reason. But, we seldom turned the corner to take advantage.

Its why I said when we had Tyler Lydon should have been the pick and roll but when he was here.
Instead we used Tyler Roberson and it would go exactly as you said.
We should be using offensive threats in the pick and roll spot.

Its why I said when we had Tyler Lydon should have been the pick and roll but when he was here.
Instead we used Tyler Roberson and it would go exactly as you said.
We should be using offensive threats in the pick and roll spot.

Lydon did roll a bunch. Was open all year. Gillon either didn't or had a hard time passing to him because he couldn't see inside due to his size.

Does anyone who responded know what i mean about rolling the wrong way?

Yes. You roll toward the basket making yourself available to the guard with the ball. That's the right way. We don't always do that. Sometimes our guys just roll to the basket with their backs to the guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom