Pick our poison to beat Michigan | Syracusefan.com

Pick our poison to beat Michigan

alibrat66

2nd String
The way I see it from the other side of the world is that the key to beating Michigan is to choose whether we shut down their guards or focus on keeping their strapping center McGary from going nuts on us inside. I vote the former; one guy can't beat us but three or four can. Get up close and personal like white on rice on Burke, Robinson III, Hardaway II, and Stauskus, so they get paranoid every time they touch the ball that BT, MCW, CJ, or Southy might deliver the ball down their throat for a late Saturday dinner. Let McGary have his double/double but keep their vaunted guards to a slender single digits diet after 40 minutes of Orange defensive hell.

Go Cuse!!! PS: The Orange by 4.

This will be IU redux except both teams score a bit more.

If they 1-3-1 us, Dirty should have open looks in the corner all day.

CJ too. He loves that open corner 3. And I love it when he takes those open corner 3s

JB used to kill the 1-3-1 with Hak on the diagonal over the top lob. I Agee though with our forwards either can hit the cornet 3 plus both can run the baseline for a lob. I bet we see all m2m

The way I see it from the other side of the world is that the key to beating Michigan is to choose whether we shut down their guards or focus on keeping their strapping center McGary from going nuts on us inside. I vote the former; one guy can't beat us but three or four can. Get up close and personal like white on rice on Burke, Robinson III, Hardaway II, and Stauskus, so they get paranoid every time they touch the ball that BT, MCW, CJ, or Southy might deliver the ball down their throat for a late Saturday dinner. Let McGary have his double/double but keep their vaunted guards to a slender single digits diet after 40 minutes of Orange defensive hell.

Go Cuse!!! PS: The Orange by 4.
Agreed. One thing about Mcgary is that he is a 45 % free throw shooter, and we have 10 fouls to give at the center position. He is a good finisher through contact though so we need to foul hard to prevent the and 1's...

I think McGary is really going to struggle in the middle. He won't want to take the foul line jumper so I can see him getting a charge call taking it to the hoop and having his pocket picked from behind and having a fast break go the other way twice early and then he will be a head case.

I think McGary is really going to struggle in the middle. He won't want to take the foul line jumper so I can see him getting a charge call taking it to the hoop and having his pocket picked from behind and having a fast break go the other way twice early and then he will be a head case.

thats big if he doesnt have a foul line jumper. we can prevent him from getting the ball on the block. we cant prevent him from getting it at the high post.

This will be IU redux except both teams score a bit more.

I like to hope that's the case, however, the UM guards are more athletic and slightly bigger, not to mention both Burke and Hardaway Jr. NBA caliber types that likely will both be in the league next year. Something the IU guards (other than Oladipo) will never see...or even get a sniff of for that matter...

I literally have 0 worry with McGary. We've faced plenty of big men better than him this year. But this probably the best perimeter team we've faced.

Im nervous... But confident. Strange predicament
I'm usually a wreck before tournament games, I always have been...except this year. Montana, Cal, IU, Marquette, I was more excited than nervous for every single one. I'm just so confident with this team. I can remember freaking the out before Asheville last year, and KState, and Wisconsin, and OSU. I haven't felt like that yet this year.

thats big if he doesnt have a foul line jumper. we can prevent him from getting the ball on the block. we cant prevent him from getting it at the high post.
He is a 45% foul shooter. He has no medium range jump shot

I like to hope that's the case, however, the UM guards are more athletic and slightly bigger, not to mention both Burke and Hardaway Jr. NBA caliber types that likely will both be in the league next year. Something the IU guards (other than Oladipo) will never see...or even get a sniff of for that matter...

All correct which is why I see them scoring a bit more but that's all they have that's different bigger and better at the 1&2 but the 3&4 is about the same with a much less offensively skilled 5 to pay attention to. Also they are worse on D than IU and don't have a lockdown perimeter defender like IU. Plus NBA or not they never see this just like IU.

I literally have 0 worry with McGary. We've faced plenty of big men better than him this year. But this probably the best perimeter team we've faced.
Indiana, who beat Michigan twice, shot 40% from the 3 for the year as a team. We look at Indiana in the rear view window. But if we were about to play Indiana or Michigan, we would all have chosen Michigan.

I'm not sure we get to choose who beats us. I don't think we can stop Burke from driving either with a high pick or by getting him into seams with quick passing around the perimeter. If we stay on the guards (including picking up Burke with our center) then McGary gets dunks. We won't be able to tolerate that for long.

He is a 45% foul shooter. He has no medium range jump shot

Let them shoot twos. Contest but don't foul. Don't let them shoot threes.

i think you underestimate mcgary. hes a skilled player even if he has no mid range game and he can hurt us on the boards. the guy is a pro prospect.

Just have to keep our hands up on their shooters...try to disrupt Burke.

I don't see how McGary is going to beat us... he's a poor man's version of Zeller. I think he's going to have the logo of the ball tattooed on his forehead by the end of Saturday night.

Main concern is Trey Burke who in my opinion is the best player in the tournament. We need to stop his penetration into the zone... and MCW has to be very very careful not to let Burke steal the ball off of him. If we can stop penetration and take care of the ball the only way Michigan can hurt us is by bombing contested threes. I don't think they are that great of a rebounding team, although I don't have the stats to back me up on that. So good luck with that Michigan.

I think Michigan for the most part is a young team. So I think the strategy will to be to put them in unfamiliar places and make them uncomfortable. Make them take an extra couple of tenths of seconds thinking things out. Try and have their youth work against them.
For instance, let McGary have the high post. So instead of rebounding and finishing, he is trying to shoot or pass.
Play the Canadian tight out at the 3 pt line.

Make Burke work defensively. Whoever he guards will need to be active and make him pay.

I don't see how McGary is going to beat us... he's a poor man's version of Zeller. I think he's going to have the logo of the ball tattooed on his forehead by the end of Saturday night.

Main concern is Trey Burke who in my opinion is the best player in the tournament. We need to stop his penetration into the zone... and MCW has to be very very careful not to let Burke steal the ball off of him. If we can stop penetration and take care of the ball the only way Michigan can hurt us is by bombing contested threes. I don't think they are that great of a rebounding team, although I don't have the stats to back me up on that. So good luck with that Michigan.

I certainly don't think mcgary is a world beater but I don't see the zeller comparison either. Mcgary weighs 260.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom