pickens on the big 12 and tcu | Syracusefan.com

pickens on the big 12 and tcu

That conference could rival the SEC. That being said, where is the national champion going to come from because I see some major schools taking loses. Could be the begining of the end of the BCS. Can't wait to see USC getting pimped smacked even more then they have lately.

Boone, I love you and your fiscal wisdom, but stay away from TCU.

I can't be the only one who read T Boone's comments and found them to be anti-Catholic and anti-Morman can I. Where the heck is Provo? Where is Stillwater, Norman, Lawrence, Ames, Columbia, etc.? Soon as his team will be in the Pac whatever, where they will be treated like backwoods imbred racists rednecks. Maybe the shoe fits.

Don't see anything anti catholic or Mormon.

He was asked about the 2 big independents out there, and he gave a pretty accurate assessment of each.

He's from the Midwest, he knows where Ames is, and columbia, etc. 99% of the country couldn't find Provo on a map without 3 clues.

ND is a shell of what they used to be, no secret there.

He's a straight shooter, who gave a pretty accurate midwestern assessment of those 2 schools, that's all I saw.

I can't be the only one who read T Boone's comments and found them to be anti-Catholic and anti-Morman can I. Where the heck is Provo? Where is Stillwater, Norman, Lawrence, Ames, Columbia, etc.? Soon as his team will be in the Pac whatever, where they will be treated like backwoods imbred racists rednecks. Maybe the shoe fits.

Seriously? What the heck is wrong with our society that every quote put in print has to be twisted around to the point that people are making a race issue out of it ... there was nothing racially or religiously motivated in his statement. If you watched the game yesterday you would realize ND is damaged goods ... only half invested in another conference. And most long time college football followers are well aware of where Norman is ... OU, OSU and some of those B12 programs have a long and storied football history ... I think that was his point.

Don't see anything anti catholic or Mormon.

He was asked about the 2 big independents out there, and he gave a pretty accurate assessment of each.

He's from the Midwest, he knows where Ames is, and columbia, etc. 99% of the country couldn't find Provo on a map without 3 clues.

ND is a shell of what they used to be, no secret there.

He's a straight shooter, who gave a pretty accurate midwestern assessment of those 2 schools, that's all I saw.

The flagship school of his current conference is Texas, coming off a 5-7 season. Certainly nobody would suggest them are damaged. Notre Dame is coming off of a winning season, with a new coach, and still has national prestige both athletically as well as academically. Clearly Notre Dame is "damaged." BYU is one of the largest private schools in the country, with a national fan base, and is consistently ranked among the Country's top universities in terms of academic value.

Oklahoma State is in a place no one gives a about, with no national audience (arguably no regional base either when you take into account how sparse the population is there), with a completely average football program. In fact, Oklahoma State is probably best known for its golf, baseball and wrestling programs. The school is not prestigious academically, and is certainly not a destination school for students. Alums of BYU and Notre Dame run the ing world.

I am not an overly sensitive person. I am not religious (maybe a little). But every conference in the nation is clamoring to get Notre Dame. BYU has itself primed to make money as an independent. You somehow thing little private TCU is a better option than those two schools in rebuilding a midwestern conference?

So why would he make such comments?

The argument about Texas having a down year is really a red hering; when is the last time ND has been relevant nationally, Texas was 2-3 years ago. Same with BYU. I agree with you about OSU, I think he is saying he believes that ND has been on a downward slide for many years, if you do not think that not sure what else can convince you

The argument about Texas having a down year is really a red hering; when is the last time ND has been relevant nationally, Texas was 2-3 years ago. Same with BYU. I agree with you about OSU, I think he is saying he believes that ND has been on a downward slide for many years, if you do not think that not sure what else can convince you

I recognize that Notre Dame has been in a bit of a football downward spiral. I recognize that the Notre Dame brand is not a prestigious in football as it once was. But in the end, it's all relative isn't it? Would you rather have Notre Dame or Louisville? Notre Dame or West Virginia? Notre Dame or TCU? There is a reason why Notre Dame is referenced with every conference when discussing expansion (particularly the ACC, Big Ten, Big East and Big 12).

Admittedly, I should not have cried discrimination without proof, but based upon the fact that he referenced those two schools specifically, and not someone like SMU (maybe they are a non-starter), and described little TCU as being the best fit, i couldn't figure another reason why someone who has been so successful in business, would look right past the best two business partners for his conference out there.

It could also be because he sees how ND gets whatever they want with BE like Texas does there and he doesn't want to have to concede special privleges to a team on that downward spiral. I mean allowing Texas to run the show hasnt really worked out for the rest. As long as ND is mediocore but thinks they are a national champion every year they are going to be hard to accomadate, and it doesnt help that they are constantly ovedrated every year in the polls...disregard my terrible spelling ;)

I recognize that Notre Dame has been in a bit of a football downward spiral. I recognize that the Notre Dame brand is not a prestigious in football as it once was. But in the end, it's all relative isn't it? Would you rather have Notre Dame or Louisville? Notre Dame or West Virginia? Notre Dame or TCU? There is a reason why Notre Dame is referenced with every conference when discussing expansion (particularly the ACC, Big Ten, Big East and Big 12).

Admittedly, I should not have cried discrimination without proof, but based upon the fact that he referenced those two schools specifically, and not someone like SMU (maybe they are a non-starter), and described little TCU as being the best fit, i couldn't figure another reason why someone who has been so successful in business, would look right past the best two business partners for his conference out there.

Considering TCU just went and beat Wisconsin in a BCS Bowl game ... something neither ND or BYU has won in ... oh about how many years ... as for Ok State I think you are little bit off on your assessment ... here is a good read for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_State_University

It is actually a research university and is well respected and has a robust athletics tradition. You essentially just did what you accused him of doing ... passing judgement on something without basis. I would take WVU football over ND ... how many BCS wins does WVU vs ND? Yeah that is what I thought, its about what have you done for me lately. TCU is located in a hotbed of high school football talent ... ND ... nope ... BYU nope ... ND has been spiraling since Holtz left ... when does a spiral turn into ... well fellas we aren't able to live up to tradition? ND can't be what it once was ... period. I'm not sure why you would even consider this discourse ... to take a step further why wouldn't the B10 go after BYU then ... they are "more selective" than OSU in terms of selecting students ... I think the reason is pretty self explanatory ... ND isn't wanted because they are still racking up titles ... they have a good fanbase that shows up for bowl games that 75% of the time they don't even belong in ... its just extra money for a conference ... period. ND stays independent for the money reason but also because it allows them to maintain a softer schedule racking up wins against the service academies ... helping them push for bowls they have no business in ... its pretty much that simple.

FWIW BYU doesn't travel well and is not a good business partner for a conference ... other than academics (which has little impact on bowl revenue and conference revenue) I am not sure how they are such a great fit. TCU plays in the 5th largest media market in the nation ... is this really that confusing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom