Pineda needs surgery ... done for the year. | Syracusefan.com

Pineda needs surgery ... done for the year.

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Michael Pineda has been diagnosed with a torn labrum in his right (throwing) shoulder and is scheduled to undergo arthroscopic surgery next Tuesday.

The official diagnosis is an "anterior labral tear," which will put an end to Pineda's 2012 season.

Cashman says Yankees physicals/MRI at time of trade were clean. Not damaged goods. Tear happened in extended spring game.

Even as a Red Sox fan, I hate to see things like this. He's a great young pitcher and I enjoyed seeing him when he was with Seattle. Hope he rebounds.

This is a big bummer. I said before that Pineda is the only guy with the potential to be a dominating #2. The Yankee rotation is still good enough to win a lot of games this year, but I'm not excited about their chances for postseason success.

What's worse is that recovery from a labral tear is a much more iffy proposition than from a ulnar collateral ligament surgery (Tommy John).

There are some that claim "there is no such thing as a young pitching prospect" simply because the huge number of them that go down to injury. Trading for pitchers at such a young age (even those with the stuff this kid has) is always a risky proposition. Position players are much less likely to have career threatening type injuries.

Dr. Chris Ahmad, on the severity of Pineda's tear: "This is an injury where we feel very confident that this can be treated arthroscopically and will not require an open procedure. In general, when surgery requires an open procedure, it means it is much more severe and the prognosis is different. This will be arthroscopic and it does have a better prognosis than injuries that require open surgeries."

http://twitter.com/#!/BloggingBombers/status/195316153592184834

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom