Pitino is right | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Pitino is right

Punishment was arbitrary at best and never addressed real cheating. See the SU "imbroglios" which are cited here every day as being unfair and small change. As for the yearly transfer - the coaching changes every year were probably a nightmare for some players. We don't like it because we stink, if we were thriving nobody would care.
I give you exhibit A: The football board this time last year vs the football board this year.

We lose Duce and Carter and it was "College Football is dead"

This year? Well...I rest my case

so you're saying paying $$$ bucks to college kids and no sit out transfers is a good thing for college sports ? to me it says "semi pro" . crazy me for missing the old days when there was a divide between amateur and pro.
The debate always ends up with "SO YOU THINK THIS IS GOOD FOR SYRACUSE???"

It's not always about YOU.

Yes, the new rules aren't good for me. I can accept that.

The debate always ends up with "SO YOU THINK THIS IS GOOD FOR SYRACUSE???"

It's not always about YOU.

Yes, the new rules aren't good for me. I can accept that.

The section of the previous comment you highlighted said “so you're saying paying $$$ bucks to college kids and no sit out transfers is a good thing for college sports ?”

Your response is about “Syracuse” and “me”. Is there a particular reason you think those are synonymous and completely inclusive of “college sports”, or did you intentionally misrepresent what was said so you could rebut a strawman?

I love the fact that kids get paid now and are free to move. Sometimes they get to campus and it’s just not a fit.
If the NCAA really wants to try more illegal constraints, adopt a code of ethics that punishes schools who contact kids prior to entering the portal.

I love the fact that kids get paid now and are free to move. Sometimes they get to campus and it’s just not a fit.
If the NCAA really wants to try more illegal constraints, adopt a code of ethics that punishes schools who contact kids prior to entering the portal.
Don't they have that already?

Wonder if they ever do become employees if they will be forced to sign non complete type agreements? That may discourage a bit of the 'Runaround Sue' behavior of today.

Coaches don't sign 1-year contracts which is basically what NIL is right now.

This is ultimately the biggest problem - its going to be very easy as a college fan to chuck in the towel if you have no idea who will be on the team the following year. I don't expect the Mets to be very good this year but at least I have some idea who will be on the team in 2025 and watching how a few of the players develop gives me a reason to watch a little this year. I don't know why I'd care about how a player develops through the year when there's a good chance they'll transfer and won't be around the next year.

Although this is a problem colleges brought on themselves - scholarships weren't for four years, they were rolling one year deals that the school could choose to not renew. They got to enjoy the benefits of a system where the schools had the opt-out for decades...its hard to feel that the system now where both sides effectively have opt-out clauses is unfair.

Jay Bilas made a decent point during a recent Pardon My Take podcast episode. We need to get to the point where schools sign players to contracts.

How/if a ‘salary cap’ could be enforced would be something to iron out but even without one, it would be a better system than we have now.

How you make a contract with a 16 or 17 year old legally binding is another hurdle. Idk the legal mechanisms behind that, but I’d imagine there’s some kind of workaround.

Edit: For some additional detail, the nicest part about this setup, imo, is the deals would presumably be for multiple years. If you want to leave for another college or the pros, there’s a buyout. So there’s some incentive to stick around for a minute or two.

Last edited:
Jay Bilas made a decent point during a recent Pardon My Take podcast episode. We need to get to the point where schools sign players to contracts.

How/if a ‘salary cap’ could be enforced would be something to iron out but even without one, it would be a better system than we have now.

How you make a contract with a 16 or 17 year old legally binding is another hurdle. Idk the legal mechanisms behind that, but I’d imagine there’s some kind of workaround.

Edit: For some additional detail, the nicest part about this setup, imo, is the deals would presumably be for multiple years. If you want to leave for another college or the pros, there’s a buyout. So there’s some incentive to stick around for a minute or two.
Salary cap would have to be collectively bargained or it is an anti-trust violation.
NIL would be outside of any payments by the school.

Salary cap would have to be collectively bargained or it is an anti-trust violation.
NIL would be outside of any payments by the school.

I’m good with the players unionizing.

This contract setup would make NIL superfluous. Let them get whatever they want from NIL.

No pro sports league could operate under the current NCAA system, or should I say non system where every player is a free agent every year and can move to another team at will even during a season and with no salary cap or tax system to act as any restraint on spending. The only solution to this mess is either a CBA with the players or just disband the whole thing. Even with a CBA the payments/cost of fielding a team would be so high that only perhaps 40 athletic factories could still participate. And I don't see Cuse in that group. What a mess.

Most kids coming into college are being held back now 1.5x. Most of the very best athletes are at least 19 (if not close to 20) when they arrive on campus. They're adults and would be adults by about junior year too.

Coaches don't sign 1-year contracts which is basically what NIL is right now.
I am trying to think of an example of a coach whose current contract prevented him from moving on to better opportunities. Coaches leave when they want.

I am trying to think of an example of a coach whose current contract prevented him from moving on to better opportunities. Coaches leave when they want.
Thats not the point. The contracts are written as multi year deals that try to protect the school to some extent with buyouts and incentives.

The section of the previous comment you highlighted said “so you're saying paying $$$ bucks to college kids and no sit out transfers is a good thing for college sports ?”

Your response is about “Syracuse” and “me”. Is there a particular reason you think those are synonymous and completely inclusive of “college sports”, or did you intentionally misrepresent what was said so you could rebut a strawman?
I’m not sure the dispute between you two personally, so I’ll stay out of that.

However, the NIL rules plus open ended transfers equates to pro sports free agency with one year contracts. It’s bad for all. Nick Saban retired because he couldn’t stand it. Hafley jumped to a coordinator position in the NfL to get away from it. Chip Kelly took the OhSt OC job because UCLA couldn’t compete in this environment. The top players will all leave for the top teams. The players recruited over on those teams will leave to find PT. Zero continuity. What set college sports apart from the pros is that community feel. The average fan can’t keep up and thus loses that connection. It’s bad for all and even worse in basketball where there’s 13 scholarships instead of 85. Steven Avery could decipher this with his 70 IQ.

Only if they or their future employer pays their contract buyout. Heard plenty of times that a coach’s buyout was too expensive for them to be fired or conversely - to be hired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom