Pitino is right | Syracusefan.com

Pitino is right

Says the guy who brought in 10 portal transfers this season. Although he is not wrong about NIL and the NCAA's ability to regulate it, his pontifications always seem to have an underlying self serving tone. "See, this is why I won't be able to win championships at St John's like I have every place else."

But, the hypocrite in me would have taken him as the coach at SU in a heartbeat.

rick you're in NYC. you play at MSG. $$$$$ is no issue. like the song says "if you can make it there you'll make it anywhere ... it's up to you..."

Last edited:
Says the guy who brought in 10 portal transfers this season. Although he is not wrong about NIL and the NCAA's ability to regulate it, his pontifications always seem to have an underlying self serving tone. "See, this is why I won't be able to win championships at St John's like I have every place else."
I didn't take what he said as having anything to do with him winning. If you have rules that won't stand up in court, enforcing them is a joke.

But, the hypocrite in me would have taken him as the coach at SU in a heartbeat.
Beyond that he just left Iona for St John's!

Of course, he's right, but he's part of the problem.

Be sanctimonious at Iona and program build there.

Or leave for a better situation like the players are.

*shrug*

Which, in all fairness, he had to do to be competitive. He's right about this, but I like to look at it from an abundance mindset, not one of scarcity.
If done right, NIL allows you to be competitive immediately. And there's plenty of talent out there that'll give you opportunities to plug holes in your lineup, recruit experience, or fill in the blanks.
But, and the sport needs to accept this, it's the wild west out here & money talks. You literally have to reboot every single year. Those programs who can adapt the quickest & best, will be the most successful.

I wish we had done this. Bring in the right pieces and a group of coachable guys that will improve by year's end. It was hard not to mock the posters that were ragging on Pitino and SJU for their ugly early losses, so I will mock them now. A comparison of where SJU and Cuse are at the end of the season will probably not be favorable for us.

I wish we had done this. Bring in the right pieces and a group of coachable guys that will improve by year's end. It was hard not to mock the posters that were ragging on Pitino and SJU for their ugly early losses, so I will mock them now. A comparison of where SJU and Cuse are at the end of the season will probably not be favorable for us.

He's sitting at 13-9 right now, would be an interesting bet on who finishes better.

Different schedules, but we get UNC 2x, they get UConn 2x, don't think it's that off a comparison.

He's sitting at 13-9 right now, would be an interesting bet on who finishes better.

Different schedules, but we get UNC 2x, they get UConn 2x, don't think it's that off a comparison.
Last I looked, Massey had St John’s schedule at #6 and Cuse at #29.

Regardless of record, they are in every Bracket in BracketMatrix, mostly at 8-9.
We are in 0.

...and trust me, I'd love to dunk on Red over Pitino. Hopefully Years 2 and 3 and on we'll be able to

Unless something really surprising happens, I have a feeling there won't be much question who is the better team when the music ends. They look vastly improved; we look like we're a couple of plays away from full-on implosion most of the time.

That said, I think Red has actually done a pretty good job all things considered and he needs a revamped roster to be fairly evaluated (which is on him in the first place, of course).

Don’t need him, but I’ve heard there are things in the works.
*shrug*

Ok, doesnt really matter. Pretty sure Repole can fund for the whole team

Sure he's right. He's not saying he isn't part of it.
He's saying it's a s--t hole that EVERYBODY has
to play in that has few rules and has a pretty murky
future going forward.
He never mentioned coaches leaving once in his commentary.
He mentioned them "getting out", but not them moving to diff programs as they have done for YEARS before NIL

He never mentioned coaches leaving once in his commentary.
He mentioned them "getting out", but not them moving to diff programs as they have done for YEARS before NIL
They move on because it's a JOB, just like any other JOB.
I doubt coaches moving on has a traumatic effect on most
college athletes. If so, they can move on too.

So, reading this thread, it seems like everyone is happy with buying players who may or may not stay beyond a year.
Is this where we want college sports to go? As Rick said, and I'm using my own words a little, there won't be any kind of culture built with teams, it will just be who can do the best job of NIL work.
All you will have left to btch about is why didn't we pay more to get player X.

Sad.

They move on because it's a JOB, just like any other JOB.
I doubt coaches moving on has a traumatic effect on most
college athletes. If so, they can move on too.
Right, they can move on too. NOW.
They used to have penalties. You don't understand the difference?

So, reading this thread, it seems like everyone is happy with buying players who may or may not stay beyond a year.
Is this where we want college sports to go? As Rick said, and I'm using my own words a little, there won't be any kind of culture built with teams, it will just be who can do the best job of NIL work.
All you will have left to btch about is why didn't we pay more to get player X.

Sad.
Who's happy about it?
But you deal with reality.
There have been decisions by the Supreme Court that make an argument about it moot.

Also, in the old days, you just complained that Kentucky paid the players under the table, now they pay more than you in front of your face. I don't see that much of a difference tbh as far as NIL goes.

Who's happy about it?
But you deal with reality.
There have been decisions by the Supreme Court that make an argument about it moot.

Also, in the old days, you just complained that Kentucky paid the players under the table, now they pay more than you in front of your face. I don't see that much of a difference tbh as far as NIL goes.

It's totally different. Before NIL, there were "gifts" to players, but there was some self monitoring.
Look back at those who won the NCAA. There were any number of schools over the years who won without players driving new cars.

Today, it's just a question of how much some school wants to hand out.

And the SCOTUS decision can be made mute if we had an NCAA with some guts to calm this whole thing down.

Coaches are leaving. The biggest example was Sabin. More than one of his former players were not surprised because they knew he didn't want to play the NIL game. He won't be the only one.

Hanging numbers in the rafters will become a joke because you won't be able to compare the player of today with one from 20 years ago.

Sorry, but I can't except the free, unrestricted, unruly market we have today with hired guns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom