Pitt Ahead of Us For a #1? | Syracusefan.com

Pitt Ahead of Us For a #1?

Those aren't seeds they are conference ranks. This is the BPI which is an amazing formula that rates our SoS #89 and Pizz's at #94. Put it on your ignore list.

Yeah... Sat night they will either be clearly ahead of us... or clearly not. But BPI is 100% worthless. Might as well draw names from a hat or put them in alphabetical order and call it a "ranking". ESPN needs to stop pushing it.

LOL Michigan State a 3 seed! One place in front of Cal's diaper dummies. The Power Index has no redeeming value whatsoever. None.

BPI is the travesty that happens when averages are valued higher than individual games.

How dare they make a rating system that does not perfectly argee with me! Burn the witches!!!!
Yes because nobody could possible take issue with the methodology or criticize a formula that until this week had a 1 loss team ranked above the undefeated team that beat it by 16 or that currently has Creighton 13 spots higher than SDSU or 2 loss OSU ranked ahead of the 1 loss MSU that beat them. Couldn't possibly be valid disagreements with any of that. :crazy:

Pitt isn't a contender for a 1 seed unless they go 14-4/15-3 and win the ACC double regular season and conference tournament.

The 1 seed contenders are Arizona, Florida, Kansas, Iowa, Iowa State, Michigan State, Oklahoma State, Wisconsin, Syracuse, Villanova.

Pitt's non-conference resume is below Wichita State's non-conference resume. Wichita State isn't likely a 1 seed either, but Wichita State beat BYU, Alabama, Tennessee, St. Louis while Pitt beat a bunch scrubs and Stanford, Houston, Penn State, and Cincinnati and lost to Cincinnati. Their BPI is high because it factors in point deferential which Pitt has destroyed teams by a lot of points while Syracuse hasn't destroyed teams, but just beat them comfortably.

Yes because nobody could possible take issue with the methodology or criticize a formula that until this week had a 1 loss team ranked above the undefeated team that beat it by 16 or that currently has Creighton 13 spots higher than SDSU or 2 loss OSU ranked ahead of the 1 loss MSU that beat them. Couldn't possibly be valid disagreements with any of that. :crazy:

You are just cherry picking result here that align with your thoughts. The whole point of these stats (BPI, RPI, Pomeroy, etc) is that they take in ALL the results. Can't just pick the ones that help prove your point. They are clearly very imperfect (although BPI is def the best of the bunch), and I vastly prefer the eye test, but saying Team A > Team B because they beat them in one game (let alone the Team C > Team A because C beat B and B beat A argument) is ludicrous, and I will take the BPI over it every single time.

You are just cherry picking result here that align with your thoughts. The whole point of these stats (BPI, RPI, Pomeroy, etc) is that they take in ALL the results. Can't just pick the ones that help prove your point. They are clearly very imperfect (although BPI is def the best of the bunch), and I vastly prefer the eye test, but saying Team A > Team B because they beat them in one game (let alone the Team C > Team A because C beat B and B beat A argument) is ludicrous, and I will take the BPI over it every single time.

You think BPI is the best?

BPI is severely flawed...and lets leave it at that. That sentiment has nothing to do with it meeting someone's agenda.

Just reveals that most people not posting on this board expect us to lose Saturday.

Yeah I think BPI is the best. And RPI is BY FAR the worst. Doesn't even account for scoring margin. All are still flawed of course.

I think Jay Bilas's top 68 is hands down the best ranking system in the country.

We could lose to Pitt by 20 this weekend and we are still WELL ahead of them in the seeding process.

we should be attacking every game like we're fighting for the very last slot . not protecting a 1 seed. imo.

Don't tell me what I am and am not doing. BPI is, at best, flawed... and more realistically a joke. I don't care what order it places teams in because the methodology is faulty. If ESPN drew names from a hat, and by coincidence the order came out in the exact order I would rank teams I wouldn't say that the hat method was suddwnly the most accurate way to compare teams. The methodology is flawed and therefore the resulting rankings are irrelevant.

Last edited:
Yeah I think BPI is the best. And RPI is BY FAR the worst. Doesn't even account for scoring margin. All are still flawed of course.

I think Jay Bilas's top 68 is hands down the best ranking system in the country.

I'd be interested in why you think that way. I'm not flaming and agree that one game results aren't necessarily the end all when ranking teams.

Those aren't seeds they are conference ranks. This is the BPI which is an amazing formula that rates our SoS #89 and Pizz's at #94. Put it on your ignore list.

Interesting, Pomeroy has us 156 and Pitt 220.
I definitely have a pet peeve with schedule rankings though, at least for relaly good teams. If you're an elite team like SU or (for sake of the argument) Pitt, after you pass a certain ranking level for your opponent (and this depends on the location, of course) it doesn't matter much. For an SU home game, playing $#150 or #350 isn't really much of a difference. But RPI or Pomeroy or whatever is going to treat it that way. I generally prefer to focus on good teams, like top 100 or so, that teams have played. Though I don't have any formula for that. Pitt has played one team in the Pomeroy top 50. We've played 5, plus Indiana, who is 55. Just no way our schedule is comparable to the one they've played.

And to be fair, Pitt might be a really good team. But it's a lot harder to say that when they haven't played a lot of good teams (i do think you can glean some stuff from MOV and advanced ratings like Pomeroy, etc but I'd also like to see them with some more wins against good teams). They are not anywhere close to us for a 1 seed right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom