Pitt Game WHY? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt Game WHY?

I'm slightly less bothered (still bothered) by the Pitt move when I looked at what the last Dome attendance was against them. 2021 - Pitt won the ACC, Syracuse is one win from a bowl game and less than 28K show up.

They get 50k for Clemson/ND/Florida State. Hit a perfect storm for NC State last year, but we need our fans to show up for the ACC rivalry games like Pitt or other good teams like Louisville or Wake. They don't have the name cache of Clemson, but those are the games people can make an impact. If we were drawing 40k+ every time Pitt came, I don't think it'd be as easy to move it.

All time games (21) played at Yankee Stadium (including this year):

5- Cuse

3- Rutgers, Army, ND

2- BC, Pitt

1- K State, Iowa State, WV, UConn, Lafayette, Lehigh, Penn State, Duke, Indiana, Holy Cross, Fordham, Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin, Miami, Dartmouth, Princeton, Michigan State, Wake, MD, VA Tech, Ithaca, Cortland, Minnesota

I'm slightly less bothered (still bothered) by the Pitt move when I looked at what the last Dome attendance was against them. 2021 - Pitt won the ACC, Syracuse is one win from a bowl game and less than 28K show up.

They get 50k for Clemson/ND/Florida State. Hit a perfect storm for NC State last year, but we need our fans to show up for the ACC rivalry games like Pitt or other good teams like Louisville or Wake. They don't have the name cache of Clemson, but those are the games people can make an impact. If we were drawing 40k+ every time Pitt came, I don't think it'd be as easy to move it.
That was Thanksgiving Weekend which made it worse but a fair point in general

5- Cuse

3- Rutgers, Army, ND

2- BC, Pitt

1- K State, Iowa State, WV, UConn, Lafayette, Lehigh, Penn State, Duke, Indiana, Holy Cross, Fordham, Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin, Miami, Dartmouth, Princeton, Michigan State, Wake, MD, VA Tech, Ithaca, Cortland, Minnesota
Yankee Stadium is synonymous with classic college football.

Last edited:

There were a lot of factors to that attendance. Covid restrictions were still around that year which kept people away (only got 36k for Clemson). Also the season before hurt attendance for the entire season. We were coming off of 2 blowout Ls. Additionally, I feel like the TG weekend games are always poorly attended. That being said the Pitt game is generally not well attended.

We have the best fan base of any NY metro area school in NYC. Whenever the basketball team plays in MSG, we have twice as many fans than any opposing team. Even with Pitino, I expect to outdraw St. Johns.
It makes sense to continue the phil -Gross-ophy. We are NY's team.
Only basketball. Penn State, not Syracuse, not Rutger, is NYC's college football team. The majority love winner. Syracuse and Rutgers are not winning for a long time. That makes people rooting for Penn State so they can feel good.

What if the extra money helped them bring together the current coaching staff and increase in support staff/analyst/grad coaches?
What if my aunt were my uncle. Who knows. If the money was that important, they could say so.

It was a bad move to do it the way they did it. And it’s a disservice to the coaching staff and the loyal fans who have stuck by the program. It’s hard to convince me it was the right call when all the evidence says otherwise.

Question? Was the Pitt game this year supposed to be at the Dome and then changed to Yankee Stadium. If so why give up home game advantage/
Thoughts on uniform convo?

Question? Was the Pitt game this year supposed to be at the Dome and then changed to Yankee Stadium. If so why give up home game advantage/
I would bet the home field to neutral switch became translates to a healthy amount of new equipment, three analysts for the next five years, bigger salaries to a few assistants we want here and some other things for one game.

Yankee Stadium was demolished in 2008. Nothing historic about this game.

We just played there less than a year ago, and it is a horrible venue for FB. This isn't MSG and BBall.

I am very curious to see how well attended this game is. They better hope we have a decent season. The Pinstripe was poorly attended (only 31,131).
Yankee Stadium is a Terrible place to play or watch a game. I don’t even want to watch it on TV

I really wonder how many really care about the Pitt game moving to NYC..

of the 35K who might attend I would be surprised if 25% are upset but the board acts like its 90%

We might be surprised at how much money we get from doing this compared to hosting a game
until we see attendance we wont know that effect on ticket sales but there has to be some number that will attend would not be coming to the dome and some number who will travel down

The better the team is doing the more who might travel

Getting two free tickets to the Clemson game took a tiny bit of the sting out, but not much. We were more than happy to attend the Pinstripe Bowl and though the turf was awful, I actually enjoyed the venue for football.

As STH though we will not attend the Pitt game at Yankee Stadium this year out of principle. We will instead be watching it on TV. Don’t want to encourage them taking away our home games!

I really wonder how many really care about the Pitt game moving to NYC..

of the 35K who might attend I would be surprised if 25% are upset but the board acts like its 90%

We might be surprised at how much money we get from doing this compared to hosting a game
until we see attendance we wont know that effect on ticket sales but there has to be some number that will attend would not be coming to the dome and some number who will travel down

The better the team is doing the more who might travel

We had nearly 45k for Pitt in 2019. I think it is too early to say 35k (could be a lot more could be a little less). If part of our payout from the Yankees is tied to ticket sales, this could be a bad deal. Hopefully we got guaranteed money.

If this was in a venue other than Yankee Stadium I’d be excited about it. Syracuse vs Ron Dayne’s Wisconsin Badgers at the Meadowlands? One of my favorite ways a season started. But the turf at Yankee Stadium guarantees a mess on the field

I was promised 7 home games.

When I buy season tickets, I expect that all conference games will be AT HOME

When you move that conference game and it drops me to 6 home games and you raise the parking for one less game this year…I’m not going to be happy

Taking a conference game and moving it it NYC and doing nothing to very little for season ticket holders is a disgrace….and I’m not going to be very happy

When you move it to a venue where we have been many times recently, it’s not going to do it for me.

Unacceptable
Did they give you seat backs? ;)

I have gone to every NYC game we have scheduled, and going to a few road games this year, but not this one I thought we were done with these shenanigans, and against a conference opponent, hated it then and still bugs me to no end.

Yankee Stadium was demolished in 2008. Nothing historic about this game.

We just played there less than a year ago, and it is a horrible venue for FB. This isn't MSG and BBall.

I am very curious to see how well attended this game is. They better hope we have a decent season. The Pinstripe was poorly attended (only 31,131).

Minnesota had a busload of people there. It was attended well on our part.

We had nearly 45k for Pitt in 2019. I think it is too early to say 35k (could be a lot more could be a little less). If part of our payout from the Yankees is tied to ticket sales, this could be a bad deal. Hopefully we got guaranteed money.
I thought in the past it was a flat fee thing not ticket sales..

Syracuse has since played nine other times at Yankee Stadium, including three Pinstripe Bowl appearances, and own a 7-3 mark all-time.

It'll also be the Orange's 39th game played at a professional stadium in the Greater New York City area, having also played 15 times at The Polo Grounds, eight times at Giants Stadium, four times at MetLife Stadium and once at Shea Stadium.

5- Cuse

3- Rutgers, Army, ND

2- BC, Pitt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom