Pitt - Major OL Problems | Syracusefan.com

Pitt - Major OL Problems

GoSU96

Living Legend
Pitt will limp into its final two games of the regular season with injuries to several key players. Some will be able to fight through the pain and miss only limited time. Others won't be as fortunate.
“We need everyone,” coach Paul Chryst said.
The offensive line appears to be hurting more than most units. Left guard Cory King missed his fifth consecutive game Saturday — a 34-27 loss to North Carolina at Heinz Field — and left tackle Adam Bisnowaty was out for the second time in three weeks. Both are dealing with back injuries, while King also has a hamstring issue.
Bisnowaty's replacement, Dorian Johnson, was pulled from the game — no explanation was given — for little-used senior Juantez Hollins, who has no starts since 2011. Senior Ryan Schlieper, who is playing for King, had to leave briefly Saturday with an injury, and he was replaced by junior Shane Johnson, who has no career starts.
With depth compromised, line coach Jim Hueber must find a way to reduce the sacks on quarterback Tom Savage.
The Tar Heels sacked Savage seven times, the fourth game this season Pitt has allowed five or more sacks. Pitt quarterbacks have been sacked 138 times in the past three seasons (36 games).
Despite an injured knee, Savage led Pitt's rally from a 27-3 deficit to a 27-27 tie. He finished with his second-most passing yards (313) and no interceptions. Savage has thrown only one interception in the past six games while getting sacked 24 times.
Savage was getting treatment on his knee after the game and was unavailable for comment.
Chryst also will keep a close watch on receiver Devin Street (ankle), defensive backs Trenton Coles and Titus Howard (head injuries) and tight end Scott Orndoff (leg).

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/5085107-74/pitt-bowl-game#ixzz2kxdLPbhD
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Pitt is 112th in rushing, the OL is a mess and SU comes into this game 35th in rushing defense, 14th in tackles for a loss, 13th in sacks. You are going to have older guys who haven't been able to get on the field ever getting their first starts against Shafer's defense.

Oh the humanity.

Don't hurt the QB just sack em. How many times has SU faced the second string QB who hasn't played a lick and then passes/runs the lights out against SU. Keep Savage in the game and on his back.

You mean FR Voytick who has had one completion for 8 yards this year or Andersen from Texas who got to throw twice in 2012? But I agree keep Savage ..just for old time sake.

Pitt will limp into its final two games of the regular season with injuries to several key players. Some will be able to fight through the pain and miss only limited time. Others won't be as fortunate.
“We need everyone,” coach Paul Chryst said.
The offensive line appears to be hurting more than most units. Left guard Cory King missed his fifth consecutive game Saturday — a 34-27 loss to North Carolina at Heinz Field — and left tackle Adam Bisnowaty was out for the second time in three weeks. Both are dealing with back injuries, while King also has a hamstring issue.
Bisnowaty's replacement, Dorian Johnson, was pulled from the game — no explanation was given — for little-used senior Juantez Hollins, who has no starts since 2011. Senior Ryan Schlieper, who is playing for King, had to leave briefly Saturday with an injury, and he was replaced by junior Shane Johnson, who has no career starts.
With depth compromised, line coach Jim Hueber must find a way to reduce the sacks on quarterback Tom Savage.
The Tar Heels sacked Savage seven times, the fourth game this season Pitt has allowed five or more sacks. Pitt quarterbacks have been sacked 138 times in the past three seasons (36 games).
Despite an injured knee, Savage led Pitt's rally from a 27-3 deficit to a 27-27 tie. He finished with his second-most passing yards (313) and no interceptions. Savage has thrown only one interception in the past six games while getting sacked 24 times.
Savage was getting treatment on his knee after the game and was unavailable for comment.
Chryst also will keep a close watch on receiver Devin Street (ankle), defensive backs Trenton Coles and Titus Howard (head injuries) and tight end Scott Orndoff (leg).

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/5085107-74/pitt-bowl-game#ixzz2kxdLPbhD
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Pitt is 112th in rushing, the OL is a mess and SU comes into this game 35th in rushing defense, 14th in tackles for a loss, 13th in sacks. You are going to have older guys who haven't been able to get on the field ever getting their first starts against Shafer's defense.

Oh the humanity.

Yup, we should be only be a small dog in this one.

Yup, we should be only be a small dog in this one.

Shouldn't be an underdog at all unless there are other guys out that we don't know about. Even losing Whigham and PTG for the game shouldn't make SU a home dog to Pitt.

Shouldn't be an underdog at all unless there are other guys out that we don't know about. Even losing Whigham and PTG for the game shouldn't make SU a home dog to Pitt.
I hope you're right. I think you're underestimating our inability to defend the short quick pass all season. We haven't beaten a team yet with a decent WR. They have two of them. Not to mention that our ability to play press coverage likely took another small hit with the loss of Whigham.

It's probably just a one week reaction to 59-3. Last time we were buried, we had a week off for the betting community to digest.

As Mad said, and I'd bet you'd agree with... even though no one likes a jinx (I hate betting on SU), it's hard not to jump on SU with the points.

I hope you're right. I think you're underestimating our inability to defend the short quick pass all season. We haven't beaten a team yet with a decent WR. They have two of them. Not to mention that our ability to play press coverage likely took another small hit with the loss of Whigham.
Doesn't matter how good the WRs are if the QB is under pressure every time he drops back.

Lets see who his able to play and what we look like on D. A loss of Whigam would be huge as we have no one to cover Street and with our luck it will probably be Anderson trying to slow him down. The fact that were playing Pitt versus FSU doesnt change the fact that our offense is still a mess especially if Estime is out again.

Lets see who his able to play and what we look like on D. A loss of Whigam would be huge as we have no one to cover Street and with our luck it will probably be Anderson trying to slow him down. The fact that were playing Pitt versus FSU doesnt change the fact that our offense is still a mess especially if Estime is out again.

You've given up on Brandon Reddish? And our offense isn't a mess. It's well-executed, given how poorly designed it is.

If we can neutralize the DL Brown we should be able to run all day. Shorten the game and win 17-14 / 14-13 whatever that would work for me.

You've given up on Brandon Reddish? And our offense isn't a mess. It's well-executed, given how poorly designed it is.

I haven't given up on Brandon Reddish but I dont see Reddish slowing down a top flight WR like Street, hes been decent this year but also abused in certain games. Lets be honest our offense is absolutely a mess, were looking through orange colored glasses. When we scored 20 pts last week against Maryland people acted like we had just dropped 45. We haven't thrown a TD pass in conference all year and outside of a few bubble screens to Estime there is zero passing game.

So, how many sacks do we get? If UNC gets 7 then I will set the bar at a baker's dozen for our crew. Go get 'em!

I haven't given up on Brandon Reddish but I dont see Reddish slowing down a top flight WR like Street, hes been decent this year but also abused in certain games. Lets be honest our offense is absolutely a mess, were looking through orange colored glasses. When we scored 20 pts last week against Maryland people acted like we had just dropped 45. We haven't thrown a TD pass in conference all year and outside of a few bubble screens to Estime there is zero passing game.

I despise everything about the design of the offense, the 8 million formations, the play-calling, and the lack of interest in playing to our few strengths. But "mess" is the wrong word. "Mess" was the right word against Penn State. Now, I think the right word is "toothless".

If we can neutralize the DL Brown we should be able to run all day. Shorten the game and win 17-14 / 14-13 whatever that would work for me.

I think we can probably run the ball but trying to win 17-14 / 14-13 isnt a recipe for success. Pitt isnt a good team but they can throw the ball on offense and put up points. Were going to need to put 20+ pts I think to win.

Too much FSU after taste going around here - we'll be fine. Pitt is slightly better than Maryland. Our running backs at home have been great. Expect Jerome to run roughshod.

Play calling was pretty good against Maryland and WF.

I think we can probably run the ball but trying to win 17-14 / 14-13 isnt a recipe for success. Pitt isnt a good team but they can throw the ball on offense and put up points. Were going to need to put 20+ pts I think to win.

we won last year 14-13 with our most prolific offense in for ever. I'll take it.

Pitts offense has been up and down all season.
14 against FSU,
14 against UVA,
9 against VT,
21 against Navy,
10 against GT

The Syracuse defense will be as stout as they've seen all year. They're a pro-style team which we have good success against.

I could also see us getting into the 20's points wise as well.

I think bottom line is we match up well with Pitt on both sides of the ball.

IMO we need to have a sense of urgency about the game this week and not let our bowl eligibility rest entirely on beating BC in 2 weeks. We don't score a lot of points, and both remaining games could easily be decided by a busted play, untimely turnover, bad call, etc. If we can somehow manage to win both games, our bowl pecking order can only improve.

we won last year 14-13 with our most prolific offense in for ever. I'll take it.

Pitts offense has been up and down all season.
14 against FSU,
14 against UVA,
9 against VT,
21 against Navy,
10 against GT

The Syracuse defense will be as stout as they've seen all year. They're a pro-style team which we have good success against.

I could also see us getting into the 20's points wise as well.

I think bottom line is we match up well with Pitt on both sides of the ball.

Sorry but why would our D be as stout as they have seen all year considering they have played FSU, ND, and VT. We have had good succes against Pitt defensively including last year but our weakness is the secondary and Pitts strenght is the passing game. I think we match up well but that doesnt mean Pitt cant have at least a decent offensive game against us through the air. If they put up 17 can we match?

Sorry but why would our D be as stout as they have seen all year considering they have played FSU, ND, and VT. We have had good succes against Pitt defensively including last year but our weakness is the secondary and Pitts strenght is the passing game. I think we match up well but that doesnt mean Pitt cant have at least a decent offensive game against us through the air. If they put up 17 can we match?

Our D is as good as ND and might be as good as VT. VT hasn't really been tested against a team that scores a lot of points. Granted they only gave up 21 to GT but I'm giving the staff a mulligan on that.

Barring any flukey scores (turnovers, special teams etc) I really believe if we can score say 24 points we'll win; and I could see that being as low as 17. Maybe I'm too much of a homer but the only game where I was completely wrong this season was GT; a game I thought we'd win straight up.

Savage was sacked 7 times by UNC on Sat. I remember 7 vs VT a few weeks ago. We are 3rd in the ACC in sacks. Their strength isn't the passing game - it's their WR's.

I'm worried about our CB a little - but if you throw out the FSU loss - they've been very good in our two vs MD and Wake.

I despise everything about the design of the offense, the 8 million formations, the play-calling, and the lack of interest in playing to our few strengths. But "mess" is the wrong word. "Mess" was the right word against Penn State. Now, I think the right word is "toothless".

Our offense sucks.

No QB TD passes in six ACC games.

That is unbelievable.

Savage was sacked 7 times by UNC on Sat. I remember 7 vs VT a few weeks ago. We are 3rd in the ACC in sacks. Their strength isn't the passing game - it's their WR's.

I'm worried about our CB a little - but if you throw out the FSU loss - they've been very good in our two vs MD and Wake.

Our D is good but versus Wake we knocked out there best player by far in the 1st quarter and Maryland's WR's were worse then ours. Just concerned that people are basing a probably Win Saturday based on our D pitching pretty much another shutout or close to it. Its asking a lot especially when there going to be down there best CB and you cant really on our offense to do pretty much anything but punt for the most part.

Our D is good but versus Wake we knocked out there best player by far in the 1st quarter and Maryland's WR's were worse then ours. Just concerned that people are basing a probably Win Saturday based on our D pitching pretty much another shutout or close to it. Its asking a lot especially when there going to be down there best CB and you cant really on our offense to do pretty much anything but punt for the most part.

You're letting the FSU game sit too long. Flush that. Our O is on par with Pitt, we protect our QB (unless he holds too long) and we have one of the best running games in the conference. In fact, if you gave us their WR core we'd already be in a bowl. Wake looked lost with out their best WR - but Maryland's WR's had been pretty good in relief of their injured playmakers. They beat VT.

I don't think it will be a shut out - but I expect Savage to be on the run. And we know how good we can be when we force immobile QB's to move. The usually end up splattered on Bromley's windshield.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom