Pitt writer calls Boeheim "arrogant and unprofessional" | Syracusefan.com

Pitt writer calls Boeheim "arrogant and unprofessional"

I wish all athlete's and coaches would start giving Marshawn Lynch answers to all stupid questions.

I wish Lynch had been smart enough to quote Belichick at the press conference.

"We're on to Cincinnati." That would have been classic.

Apparently JB hates the kids who actually go to SU and have to ask him questions at the press conferences as well. AJ Kannell who is the local sportscaster guy in Burlington now was telling a story the other day about how it's kind of a rite of passage to get dressed down in the pressers by JB when you are working for the DO or the local radio station on the hill. I know he's always been a dork (didn't want to use that word) to the local media but you would think he might be a nicer guy to the kids who actually attend the university that pays his salary. Maybe.

Apparently JB hates the kids who actually go to SU and have to ask him questions at the press conferences as well. AJ Kannell who is the local sportscaster guy in Burlington now was telling a story the other day about how it's kind of a rite of passage to get dressed down in the pressers by JB when you are working for the DO or the local radio station on the hill. I know he's always been a dork (didn't want to use that word) to the local media but you would think he might be a nicer guy to the kids who actually attend the university that pays his salary. Maybe.
I can't stand the way JB treats the kids that work at the D.O.. I did however send this guy a email wishing Pitt more success in the NCAA tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:
Breaking news: fans on Syracusefan.com call JB arrogant and unprofessional. What's the beef?

I can't stand the way JB treats the kids that work at the D.O.. I did however send this guy a email wishing Pitt more success in the NCAA tournament.
Hmmm...isn't the coach supposed to be an "educator?"

There are a few words that can describe someone who behaves like that towards students.
One of the more polite ones would be "jerk."
Another might be "bully."

Most professionals don't care and are glad to get the soundbites.
Sometimes, the more asinine the better.
And when it comes to asinine, Jim Boeheim can be one of the best.

I will say this: Coach missed an opportunity to a) say nothing (he tried but then couldn't resist going back to the question), or b) give a response that puts his program in a better light. Fact is, this is two penalties in his career. The question isn't irrelevant. He had the right idea for a response but blew it when he said he is proud of what they've done. In light of his other comments this could be interpreted as a Jack Nicholson style code red breakdown instead of a way to highlight all the good and rule following things going on in the program.

There are two kinds of coaches,

ones that appear to still be learning and ones that appear not to be.

JB is the second one.

What Syracuse did prevented anybody from leaving this season and finding another school. This shouldn't be allowed by the NCAA. This can't be allowed by the NCAA. But again, it is wrong-headed to blame the NCAA. Syracuse, celebrated as a top-flight university, is the one that mortgages its own morality by dancing around the rules. — Jeff Jacobs, Hartford Courant
Syracuse is talking as if it's some random act of God that's barring the team from the postseason, when in fact the Orange are missing March Madness for one reason only: Syracuse broke the rules. And it would be nice if someone would accept responsibility for having messed up. — Pete Iorizzo, Albany Times Union
What really blows me away is after all we now know about what a farce the NCAA truly is, that there are still sports journalists out there who give this organization the least bit of credibility. As if they are a legitimate rule enforcement agency.

It's amazing.

Man walks on moon.

Did not see it posted anywhere and anyways, I spend as little time as possible on this board right now. Sorry.

Just in: beat writers who've been run over by JB, don't like JB.

Well, the only person to blame for that is JB. You can't treat people like crap, unless you need something, and expect them to EVER give you the benefit of the doubt. He knew he was going to get asked that type of question and that was the best he could come up with. The only time I ever heard him say he was wrong about anything was when he admitted he was insensitive to comments he made about the Bernie Fine situation. He didn't learn much even after being sued. Right or wrong he needs to have a little respect when he gets asked legit questions. This song and dance is getting old. I have great respect for what JB has accomplished over his career and what he has done for Syracuse and the University, but his superiors need to reign him in and stop letting him make an "ass" of himself at times when he needs to be a little bit contrite. We can say and feel whatever we want about the NCAA, but they DID force SU to remove itself from post season AND there will be additional sanctions BECAUSE Syracuse broke the rules. Someone needs to step up in a leadership role and say we screwed up and we accept the consequences. When it's your second offense, you're not going to get a whole lot of sympathy from people outside of Syracuse. Being an SU alum, I'm not real pleased with my first impressions of how JB has reacted to his mistakes. He is the man in charge of the SU basketball program. It's his responsibility to know what's going on.

He shouldn't treat them any different if they ask stupid questions.

Well, the only person to blame for that is JB. You can't treat people like crap, unless you need something, and expect them to EVER give you the benefit of the doubt. He knew he was going to get asked that type of question and that was the best he could come up with. The only time I ever heard him say he was wrong about anything was when he admitted he was insensitive to comments he made about the Bernie Fine situation. He didn't learn much even after being sued. Right or wrong he needs to have a little respect when he gets asked legit questions. This song and dance is getting old. I have great respect for what JB has accomplished over his career and what he has done for Syracuse and the University, but his superiors need to reign him in and stop letting him make an "ass" of himself at times when he needs to be a little bit contrite. We can say and feel whatever we want about the NCAA, but they DID force SU to remove itself from post season AND there will be additional sanctions BECAUSE Syracuse broke the rules. Someone needs to step up in a leadership role and say we screwed up and we accept the consequences. When it's your second offense, you're not going to get a whole lot of sympathy from people outside of Syracuse. Being an SU alum, I'm not real pleased with my first impressions of how JB has reacted to his mistakes. He is the man in charge of the SU basketball program. It's his responsibility to know what's going on.

Noone cares if you are an alumn and are offended by JB. He is who he is, so love him or don't. He isn't going anywhere. Im sure you wish we had a sweetheart headcoach and a losing season every year for 40 years running too.

Hmmm...isn't the coach supposed to be an "educator?"

There are a few words that can describe someone who behaves like that towards students.
One of the more polite ones would be "jerk."
Another might be "bully."

Most professionals don't care and are glad to get the soundbites.
Sometimes, the more asinine the better.
And when it comes to asinine, Jim Boeheim can be one of the best.
Boeheim isn't responsible for educating the media...although he does it VERY WELL. When he starts " bullying" his players then get back to us with your soapbox.

This has nothing to do with his coaching ability. His record speaks for itself and I'm not asking him to go anywhere, but it would be nice if he showed a little class from time to time. Interacting with the media is part of his job and with the University and his program being questioned it might be a good time to tone down his act.