Pitt's NCAA prospects ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Pitt's NCAA prospects ...

Why do the talking heads still keep referring to them as a bubble team? Lunardi has Pitt as a bubble team and Iowa as a lock. Huh? Greenberg and Williams just questioned Pitt too. They are 23-8, 11-7 from a power conference, rpi in the mid-40s and most of their losses were to top 15 teams that went down to the final possession. not a Pitt fan at all but there is zero chance they are on the bubble.

Agreed. And I think they beat UNC today.

Even if they make the NCAAs they should decline for a CBI bid. That's where real champions are made.

Tournament-Champs.jpg

If you left everybody out that scheduled OOC cupcakes then you might have difficulty conducting a tournament. I think if you play 18 games in a power conference then the emphasis placed on games in November/December is way overblown. many teams in March remotely resemble (good and bad) the teams they were in early December.

Why though? The committee has been saying for years now they are looking for teams to go out and schedule tough non conf schedules. You shouldn't just get the benefit of the doubt because you play in a power conference.

Why though? The committee has been saying for years now they are looking for teams to go out and schedule tough non conf schedules. You shouldn't just get the benefit of the doubt because you play in a power conference.

Not a benefit of the doubt but you shouldn't treat a game in November like you do February and March. Thats just stupid in my opinion. I just think they go way overboard dwelling on what you did OOC when youve just finished playing 18 games against teams predominantly in the RPI 100. I am also ok with giving an edge to a team that plays a tough sked but it would be nice if they won a few of them. Shouldn't just get points for showing up.

Not a benefit of the doubt but you shouldn't treat a game in November like you do February and March. Thats just stupid in my opinion. I just think they go way overboard dwelling on what you did OOC when youve just finished playing 18 games against teams predominantly in the RPI 100. I am also ok with giving an edge to a team that plays a tough sked but it would be nice if they won a few of them. Shouldn't just get points for showing up.

They why even play those games. Just start college basketball in Jan. It isn't going overboard, it is part of a teams body of work. Syracuse, Unc, and Duke all played those tough acc games, but still went out and challenged themselves in the non conf schedule.

They why even play those games. Just start college basketball in Jan. It isn't going overboard, it is part of a teams body of work. Syracuse, Unc, and Duke all played those tough acc games, but still went out and challenged themselves in the non conf schedule.

There have been plenty of times when SU played the sisters of the poor in Nov/Dec and never ventured out of Syracuse. Hope you were as vigilant on playing a strong OOC during those times. Me personally I couldn't have cared less back then. Watching them play 18 BE games was an excellent barometer of where they stood. Sure I would count the Nov/Dec games but not nearly as much as the conference sked if the team played in a highly competitive power conference.

Back to the original post- still think Pitt is not a lock?

There have been plenty of times when SU played the sisters of the poor in Nov/Dec and never ventured out of Syracuse. Hope you were as vigilant on playing a strong OOC during those times. Me personally I couldn't have cared less back then. Watching them play 18 BE games was an excellent barometer of where they stood. Sure I would count the Nov/Dec games but not nearly as much as the conference sked if the team played in a highly competitive power conference.

I never liked playing those weaker ooc schedules, we got burned by the selection committee, and changed our ways.

Why should conference games matter more than non conf schedule games? For the most part you aren't playing conference games in the ncaa tourney.

I never liked playing those weaker ooc schedules, we got burned by the selection committee, and changed our ways.

Why should conference games matter more than non conf schedule games? For the most part you aren't playing conference games in the ncaa tourney.

Did we really change our ways? Most of our OOC strength comes from playing in Maui, preseason NIT etc. This year we played Nova and SJU as a way to continue the rivalry. That was different from the past. I am not criticizing SU cuz we had plenty of years where we didn't play anybody OOC and yet we were one of the best teams in the country. Like I said OOC sked strength is highly overrated when you play in a power conference.

Did we really change our ways? Most of our OOC strength comes from playing in Maui, preseason NIT etc. This year we played Nova and SJU as a way to continue the rivalry. That was different from the past. I am not criticizing SU cuz we had plenty of years where we didn't play anybody OOC and yet we were one of the best teams in the country. Like I said OOC sked strength is highly overrated when you play in a power conference.

Who cares why you decided to play those teams, point of the matter is they did. Everyone knows Maui always has a good field, and a chance to pick up quality wins. They didn't have to continue the rivalry with nova and sju, but they did. Most people expected Nova to be a good team going into the season, and sju underachieved big time this season.

Pitt is a lock. They are in the process of destroying Carolina, and I think they will beat Virginia. Wouldn't be delicious if you had a Syracuse vs. Pitt final in the ACC tournament in the heart of ACC country.

I don't agree, but now we will never know.

Maybe their seeding will be an indication. Just don't think you've done the math here. You can't come up with 36 at large and leave them out. I'm not saying they're anything special but its pretty clear they had done enough prior to the ACC tourney.

Who cares why you decided to play those teams, point of the matter is they did. Everyone knows Maui always has a good field, and a chance to pick up quality wins. They didn't have to continue the rivalry with nova and sju, but they did. Most people expected Nova to be a good team going into the season, and sju underachieved big time this season.

I think at this point we're talking past each other. No worries.

I think at this point we're talking past each other. No worries.

I just think we were on different pages, I thought Pitt was going to get in, just didn't have them as a lock. If enough things happened, like bubble teams playing their way in, and maybe a bid stealer or two, they could have been left out, now it is a moot point.