Plaid, Magic Johnson, Beast of the East, Keith Smart, Paul Pasqualoni, Daryl Gross | Syracusefan.com

Plaid, Magic Johnson, Beast of the East, Keith Smart, Paul Pasqualoni, Daryl Gross

Don

2nd String
Nobody Rocked a Plaid Brown jacket Like JAB not ever

Fairly Early in the coaching career of one JAB his epic Rant at the local Media for naming Magic Johnson the MVP of the carrier classic over Marty Byrnes and his SU Team kind of set the stage for what was to come for the local media covering one JAB

After my two year Journey in Germany watching reruns tv on Armed Forces TV in the early 80's with no SU Basketball I was glad to get back to Fort Sill Oklahoma and argue with some of my friends who were Georgetown fans that indeed Syracuse was "The Beat of the East" hands down.

All I can say is Keith Smart was way to lucky in 1987 and iv'e never forgiven him

Saying good Bye to JAB was never going to be easy but he pretty much gave his thoughts on removing a successful coach in his eyes when SU Fired Paul Pasqualoni. he might as well of just said the whole leadership is a bunch of morons who should be canned and go run the clown show somewhere else. He was riding high back then being the Truly BMOC and might have been shown the door if he wasn't . Just a note except for the tenure of a couple of years of dream job Marrone JAB was correct.

Daryl Gross getting the school into the ACC maybe saved the Football Team from being Uconn but, JAB once again made his feeling known about the ACC right up to Insulting the Home of the ACC Basketball Tournament. He still was the BMOC and still riding high so he got away with it

Now as sad as it is he still the BMOC but he no longer riding as high which is a sad reality that cannot be ignored anymore. His work in and for the community cannot be forgotten he has done more for the community than anyone else period in fact if not for JAB most people in the country wouldn't know Syracuse from Siberia . Alas all good things can and do come to an end and that is the very sad but true reality.

From my younger days getting free tickets to go see games from a program insider to now my aches and pains of just getting up some days, JAB has been there Rocking his Plaid to now maybe just being sad.

He has earned respect and admiration for his many good deeds coaching and his great deeds to help the community but, like all good things time sneaks up and we cannot beat time unless your that lucky SOB Keith Smart. Time has snuck up like it does to us all so lets be Keith Smart and go out blazing and end this sooner rather than later.

Great post, although I believe JB can still coach. Over a period of almost 50 years you have to expect that some of the years are not going to be winners. I hope he hangs in there, he will turn this around.

Great post, although I believe JB can still coach. Over a period of almost 50 years you have to expect that some of the years are not going to be winners. I hope he hangs in there, he will turn this around.
Maybe the view in Miami is different than the view in Upstate NY. I respect your opinion, and respect everything JAB has done in 60 years on the hill, but there always comes a time when things need to be done for a reason.

Hopefully JAB takes the high road and steps aside before it truly gets ugly. He can still lead a long life continuing to leaving an impact on the lives of many but right now coaching at Syracuse shouldn't be part of that.

It's hard for me to say that, but he has nothing to gain by staying, but a lot to lose.

I won't belabor this point, because it's apparent you are in the small minority who believes this at this point - at least of those who are still posting. But what on earth makes you think JB will turn this around at this point?

What me me think he can turn it around, you don’t just forget how to win when you’ve been a winner your whole life. He has a great group of assistant coaches, he has some pretty good players on a team that is very young, and SU has the dome.
College sports are in turmoil, SU will be just fine with him at the helm

What me me think he can turn it around, you don’t just forget how to win when you’ve been a winner your whole life. He has a great group of assistant coaches, he has some pretty good players on a team that is very young, and SU has the dome.
Your orange colored glasses need a prescription upgrade because they are clouding your vision.

I came to the conclusion last season it was time to retire, having said that I won’t join the minions here that crap all over him.

I think he can coach still.

I don't think he has the drive to keep a Power Five program competitive at a high level/

I think he can coach still.

I don't think he has the drive to keep a Power Five program competitive at a high level/
Agree. Boeheim's Army would actually be a good fit for him right now, and I'm not being a wise guy by saying that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom