play calling | Syracusefan.com

play calling

upperdeck

Living Legend
we complain about Hackett and then I see WV on pass for 80 throws with the offense genius they have and 7 pts to show for it..

yup. and he throws down 13 with under a min to go and takes an INT and probably all chance to win.. there is more to play calling than just to run or pass..

we complain about Hackett and then I see WV on pass for 80 throws with the offense genius they have and 7 pts to show for it..

How about LSU with a third and short, go to a power I, run play action and throw a 52 yard pass for a touchdown. great call.

yes. and we called the same type of play except Nassib didnt throw it .. if the QB doesnt throw it for LSU noone says he great play call.

yes. and we called the same type of play except Nassib didnt throw it .. if the QB doesnt throw it for LSU noone says he great play call.

It's amazing how much better the play calling is when the plays work.

My only problem are the series when we run for no gain, run for a 2 yard loss and then run again on 3rd and long. That seems to happen at least twice a game.

It's amazing how much better the play calling is when the plays work.

My only problem are the series when we run for no gain, run for a 2 yard loss and then run again on 3rd and long. That seems to happen at least twice a game.

this is true about when plays work but here's the thing. if lsu didn't convert the pass they punt, there's 6:47 left in the 2nd quarter so it's not a big deal at all. When we went run, run, run, punt there was 10 minutes left in 4th Q and we were losing. it was risky play calling because we're running clock and we haven't knocked anyone off the ball all season - and we didn't again this time either. we were fortunate to hold toledo to 4 plays and a punt on the next series. Had they killed a lot of clock or even scored on the next series the game would've been over.

this is true about when plays work but here's the thing. if lsu didn't convert the pass they punt, there's 6:47 left in the 2nd quarter so it's not a big deal at all. When we went run, run, run, punt there was 10 minutes left in 4th Q and we were losing. it was risky play calling because we're running clock and we haven't knocked anyone off the ball all season - and we didn't again this time either. we were fortunate to hold toledo to 4 plays and a punt on the next series. Had they killed a lot of clock or even scored on the next series the game would've been over.

I agree on the run, run, run, punt. That was upsetting in that situation.

The timing was horrible (which magnifies everything), but at least Hackett has never punted on 3rd down and we generally aren't subjected to entire halves of run, run, pass, punt. He's young and is learning and think he's going to get better. He's made mistakes and will make more, but people saying he's horrible and should be replaced midseason seems a bit much - especially after a fairly satisfying and nerve wracking win. Fortunately the problems people have had with him haven't cost us a game.

My bigger concern is consistency with the offense. We can look really great one series, and then just awful the next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom