"play" of the game... | Syracusefan.com

"play" of the game...

newmexicuse

All Conference
pitt player makes a three and kicks his leg out. our player gets called for the foul.

jimmy complains and brings it to the refs attention.

later in the game, pitt is rallying strong. same thing happens, but this time ref calls an o foul and waves off the trey. mo killer.

kudos to jimmy !!!

Couple things:

1. I was loving that they called that foul but why didn’t the shot count?
2. It was not the play of the game, it was the block to the head by Brissett. In fact why are there not gifs of that yet??

Couple things:

Offensive foul on the shooter, I guess.

Not that he gained any advantage from it. I'm not 100% sure, but I'll take it.

Edit: from an article in the Pittsburgh Gazette:

Pittsburgh Sports Now received the following clarification on the application of the rule from ACC senior associate commissioner for basketball Paul Brazeau, when it came to the offensive foul on the follow through wiping out the basket.

“Correct call … a basket can’t be scored when an offensive player commits an illegal act”

Wasn't called:
giphy.gif

Was called:
giphy.gif

Last edited:
McGowens (Pitt shooter) is already falling to the ground before his kicked out leg even makes any contact with Brissett. He's halfway to crumbling to the ground, completely on his own, after taking a wide open shot. He jumps up with Brissett 6 feet away, and already has it in his mind that he is going to fall down when he lands. Shameful.

Offensive foul on the shooter, I guess.

Not that he gained any advantage from it. I'm not 100% sure, but I'll take it.

Edit: from an article in the Pittsburgh Gazette:

Pittsburgh Sports Now received the following clarification on the application of the rule from ACC senior associate commissioner for basketball Paul Brazeau, when it came to the offensive foul on the follow through wiping out the basket.

“Correct call … a basket can’t be scored when an offensive player commits an illegal act”

giphy.gif
Your replay above is of the call on SU - Brissett, and was a 3 FT's for Pitt. The other one where they called the foul on Pitt on Howard looked a lot less obvious from the camera angle I saw - pretty much a makeup call.

Your replay above is of the call on SU - Brissett, and was a 3 FT's for Pitt. The other one where they called the foul on Pitt on Howard looked a lot less obvious from the camera angle I saw - pretty much a makeup call.
Right. For some reason, the second one didn't load. Fixed now.

Right. For some reason, the second one didn't load. Fixed now.
Thanks. And looking at that again, it was a clear leg extension by Pitt. Good call by the ref, and as pointed out by the OP, well done by the staff to alert the refs of what was going on. That was no makeup call, they tried it again.

Funniest thing is if you go over to the Pantherlair forum they insist it was a bad call and don’t even mention the earlier dirty leg kick out by McGowens that led to 3 free throws.

They were unbelievably biased. They actually thought the refs favored Syracuse in the game. LMAO.

Look Pitt fans, when you have Pittsburgh journalists writing articles about how dirty your players were, and they only got called for it once (and actually benefitted from the first McGowen’s leg kick out), you just need to S-tf up.

Don’t think so. The angle of the camera is different but if you look close he clearly kicks that leg out as much as he can, to make contact. Garbage ball. Really scrubby.

Don’t think so. The angle of the camera is different but if you look close he clearly kicks that leg out as much as he can, to make contact. Garbage ball. Really scrubby.
Kid should really be suspended by the ACC for a game (he won’t be). But we should be resigned to the fact that his leg kick out game has know been exposed to the entire ACC so it’s unlikely he’ll get away with it again.

Funniest thing is if you go over to the Pantherlair forum they insist it was a bad call and don’t even mention the earlier dirty leg kick out by McGowens that led to 3 free throws.

They were unbelievably biased. They actually thought the refs favored Syracuse in the game. LMAO.

Look Pitt fans, when you have Pittsburgh journalists writing articles about how dirty your players were, and they only got called for it once (and actually benefitted from the first McGowen’s leg kick out), you just need to S-tf up.

You are appealing to the logic of Pitt fans? That’s like negotiating with the burnt crumbs in your toaster.

You are appealing to the logic of Pitt fans? That’s like negotiating with the burnt crumbs in your toaster.
Lol. No I wasn’t dumb enough to engage with them. I simply read their forum.

I was surprised McGowens was smart enough to kick out with his right leg when Brissett's momentum was obviously taking him that way and then kicked out with his left leg when Howard's momentum was going in that direction. As others have said, not a natural shooting move.

Maybe next time he plays us he'll be smart enough to know the refs will be on the lookout for crap like that?

Cheers,
Neil

Couple things:

2. It was not the play of the game, it was the block to the head by Brissett. In fact why are there not gifs of that yet??
Same as if the guy releases the ball and charges in to a defender. they changed the rule a few years ago.

I was surprised McGowens was smart enough to kick out with his right leg when Brissett's momentum was obviously taking him that way and then kicked out with his left leg when Howard's momentum was going in that direction. As others have said, not a natural shooting move.

Maybe next time he plays us he'll be smart enough to know the refs will be on the lookout for crap like that?

Cheers,
Neil

Makes it seem like he’s practiced it a few times.

I kinda doubt any coach tells a player to do that. Seems like it's just one of those things a kid sees and emulates. Every time Reggie Miller calls a game, they make a huge deal about it. A coach, on the other hand, would likely be more interested in having the shooter concentrating on making the shot, and not some barely-post-release choreography that's likely to only work once. This move is like OBJ's one-hand catches, or offensive players hurdling oncoming tacklers. Another one of those things kids do because they're 'trending.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom