Play the what if game. | Syracusefan.com

Play the what if game.

upperdeck

Living Legend
Should be in fball forum.. But dont think i can move it.

Say SU had started at #13 instead of NC st and played the exact same schedule we just did.

week 1 Utah loses to FL and falls from 7 to 13.. so after playing a UL team that had some hype we probably go to 12
week 2 probably drop to 13-14
week 3 BYU/ND lost so probably about 11
week 4 move up to 10 as OK?/Ark lose
week 5 move to 9 as Kent loses and everyone above us is undefeated
week 6 stay the same, try to stay ahead of oregon/TCU
week 7 Probably sitting around 7th right now.. ahead of TCU/Oregon/UCLA/Ole Miss

you can see a dream path now Beat Clemson move to like 12th
win until Wake but if TCU/UCLA dont lose we wont pass either of them perhaps

you have to be about 5-6 for the losses of Mich/Tenn to mean anything and Tenn losing to GA late might only move them 3/4

I could see the loser of Tenn/Ga being ahead of Ala.

Last edited:
Eh if we beat clemson we'll be higher than 12 and the rest will take care of itself.
We can move up because i didnt run thru the schedule

UCLA vs Oregon we would pass one of them
TCU vs KSU
Ole Miss vs LSU
OK state vs Texas
Wake vs BC

Clemson might fall to 10-12 and we could pass them, but its not a given..

We could get to 10
with a couple upsets to about 8th.

With a loss to 20th

it was really more an excercise to show that even had we started pretty high in the polls we would be a few spots different right now. Unless you beat Clemson it doesnt matter and if we do we still might not get that high until other lose

calculation-math.gif

Bruv...

What’s the consensus with Clemson fans about the matchup? Nervous ? Excited ? Should be a great game. Think cuse might be a little too banged up to win it in that environment but just curious your take
Haven't really read anything from Clemson to be honest. It seems like the fans are excited. Feels like it's going to be a great game. Clemson has got to slow down Tucker. We've won 37 in a row and I think that continues but it won't be easy.

it was really more an excercise to show that even had we started pretty high in the polls we would be a few spots different right now. Unless you beat Clemson it doesnt matter and if we do we still might not get that high until other lose
I think you need to consider that we jump a few teams if we win at Clemson. You don't just move up only when someone ahead loses. A win at Clemson removes the doubt a lot of people have about SU.

Haven't really read anything from Clemson to be honest. It seems like the fans are excited. Feels like it's going to be a great game. Clemson has got to slow down Tucker. We've won 37 in a row and I think that continues but it won't be easy.
It really is the one fan base that I think truly appreciates a great opponent, Loves when they come to town, and is very respectful of the out of towners. When I went to the almost upset game with dungey, it was absolutely an amazing experience.

If we beat Clemson we will be top 5. As I said in another thread, NO ONE has a better win than Clemson on the road this year, and we'd be one of at the most, 8 undefeated teams left. We would 100% be top 5.

ESPN+ had an article today going over playoff scenarios and big matchups and this caught my attention.

Basically saying due to our SOS even if we go undefeated in the ACC we could be outside looking in. That is so unbelievable and why some people really hate CFB. If a team goes undefeated in a power 5 conference and cannot compete for a title cause of pre season bias they need to blow the sport up and start over.

Also the SOS argument, that I have seen made on other sites, when we haven't played Clemson, Wake Forest, FSU, Pitt or ND yet is such a lazy take. Those teams are all or were ranked this year, if Cuse somehow gets through that undefeated, then beat UNC in the title game and are still left out I don't know what to say.

It feels like its February already though with these "selection previews" talking about Syracuse not playing a game outside of the Northeast and SOS.

Hopefully we crash another selection show in December and piss off America again.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 47
ESPN+ had an article today going over playoff scenarios and big matchups and this caught my attention.

Basically saying due to our SOS even if we go undefeated in the ACC we could be outside looking in. That is so unbelievable and why some people really hate CFB. If a team goes undefeated in a power 5 conference and cannot compete for a title cause of pre season bias they need to blow the sport up and start over.

Also the SOS argument, that I have seen made on other sites, when we haven't played Clemson, Wake Forest, FSU, Pitt or ND yet. Those teams are all or were ranked this year. If we somehow get through that undefeated, then beat UNC in the title game and are still left out I don't know what to say.

It feels like its February already though with these "selection previews" talking about Syracuse not playing a game outside of the Northeast and SOS.

Hopefully we crash another selection show in December and piss off America again.

On the off chance we have to "worry" about this at the end of the season, it will have already resolved itself.

Who is gonna have a bigger road W than AT CLEMSON??!!

Plus then ND, @ Wake, FSU, @ Pitt, @ BC?

Our SOS will be juuuuust fine, when all is said and done.

... except of course, when all of those teams get downgraded, because they lost to Syracuse.

Fortunately college football will soon be going to an expanded playoff. I’m not a fan of the playoff model anyway, but if you’re gonna do it, have to have more than four spots.

Yes, we would be Top 8. And that's why polling sucks so bad. It's biased and arbitrary.
Biased...probably. But at least the majority of that bias is predicated on a history of on field success. But, arbitrary?

We have a well earned national perception based on the last 20 seasons. It is what it is.

I am absolutely thrilled to be ranked as high as we are, and to be part of the national conversation. I understand and expect the "now prove it" national perception. Certain teams will be given the benefit of the doubt in the polls. SU won't be one of those teams, understandably so, IMO anyway.

The only thing that truly matters is winning. And then stacking winning seasons on winning seasons.

The CFP rankings are the only ones that matter.
If you are referring to the College Football Power Index, they have three 3-3 teams and 6 two loss teams ranked higher than Syracuse - it seems worse than the AP/coaches polls.

The issue is still gonna be if 3 sec teams end up 11-1/12-1 The winner is getting in.

Then after that two of them have a top 5 win and a top 5 loss and a couple other top wins perhaps

But for some reason Clemson going undefeated gets them in with a win over wake and SU when our wins over Clemson/Wake would actually be better

If Wake/SU dont finish strong than what is Clemson going to hang its hat on either?

Mich if it loses to OSU has PSU/ILL which is no more than any of the ACC would have
UCLA would have Oregon/USC/Utah who all might be 3 loss teams as well

TCU could run the table and have a ton of wins over 2-3-4 loss teams that are ranked.

SU could have wins over wake/Clem/NC st and perhaps a 10 win Purdue.

what does OSU have now?
ND .500
Rutgers .500
Wisc under .500
Ark sta/toledo
MSU under .500
beat Iowa under .500
Beat Ind under .500
Beat NW under .500

that leaves 2 loss PSU and 1 loss Mich
and then a game vs Maryland

yeah they look good but have played no one..

we actually if we beat Clem have played a better set of teams and have a chance to beat ND as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom