Players getting paid isn't going to kill college sports... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Players getting paid isn't going to kill college sports...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a nuanced point that’s lost on the average person. Most people don’t get the difference between growth investors in the PE world. They hear PE and equate it with leveraged buyouts. You shouldn’t be surprised if the average person doesn’t distinguish the difference if you work in that world.

Red Lobster was also ruined by a sale leaseback deal (which have and will continue to ruin other businesses). Blame activist shareholders for that and preferential REIT tax codes pushed by the real estate lobby.
100% - every PE message board warrior I encounter doesn't even know what a PE growth investor is. I only work for PE growth investors and it's markedly different than buyouts, consolidation and integration gutting. I have never worked for a consolidator that makes it's mark on cost/expense synergies and I never will.

I don't blame people who don't understand the difference - I do blame people that consistently reinforce this stereotype that all PE is bad and think they know what they're talking about. Being a know it all about things you don't know it all about isn't admirable.

This thread just reached the Groundhog Day reset. Can’t wait to relive this thing. :)
Didn’t realize it was the same story covered by a different outlet (showing how little I read of the original article).

It’s nice to be part of the problem sometimes.

Dying on the private equity hill is hilarious. I genuinely hope that you are wealthy. And if I can afford the $300 bill at Red Lobster than I could afford it at whatever steakhouse you think I should have taken my family to on Mother's Day.

Keep licking them boots!
I spend double at Red Lobster than I do at Delmonicos. I enjoy Texas Roadhouse and Smokey Bones too. Why is there so much hate on chains, I dont go often but its not a horrible experience or quality. Now Applebee's or Dennys, no way. Waffle House is king though, dont care how trashy it is.

I have had a single bad meal at Red Lobster in my life and it just happened to be after private equity was involved. They will destroy college sports and blame it on NIL and the portal just like they destroyed Red Lobster and blamed it on endless shrimp.
Please tell me you read the usatoday article before posting this. Lol

"Get used to the thing you have an emotional attachment to being destroyed because someone who has a lot more money than you wants to make even more money." Quite the rallying cry.
It's sad that this is not only acceptable but encouraged.

These timeless sports are going to destroyed because some old lacrosse bros want to do more blow off some strippers butt and dry cleaning from all the perfume and glitter off the strippers.

This already isn't remotely close to how it was 2 years ago, going to be wild seeing this mess in 5 years.

I spend double at Red Lobster than I do at Delmonicos. I enjoy Texas Roadhouse and Smokey Bones too. Why is there so much hate on chains, I dont go often but its not a horrible experience or quality. Now Applebee's or Dennys, no way. Waffle House is king though, dont care how trashy it is.
Did you just talk bad about Applebee's??? Don't make me have to bring CuseRunner into this!

Dude if you're in CNY come over today killing a keg and prob multiple bags
What time are we looking at? Ha
Jimmy Fallon Comedy GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

that’s the issue. How does this work? Most of these are teams on a public institutions. Are schools going to spin off their football teams?

Are schools just going to license the name and lease the facilities to the investor? What’s the players relationship to the school? Again a very, very, very, very, very low percentage of kids make it to the NFL.
The name logos, colors, etc., will be licensed to a team owner/operator/whatever they want to call themselves. The schools will get a paycheck for the license each year. The bluebloods will leave the NCAA, which means the players won't have to go to class. "NCAA football" will be played by enrolled students who might get minor NIL money, but largely will just get what the grant-in-aid gives now. The TV money will be minimal, at best, because the bluebloods will get most all of it. It will be a return to 1983 (before the Supreme Court took control of TV from the NCAA) in a lot of ways because a lot fewer games will be broadcast.

Back then, a 1:30 non-broadcast game and a noon broadcast game would both end at around 3:30.

The name logos, colors, etc., will be licensed to a team owner/operator/whatever they want to call themselves. The schools will get a paycheck for the license each year. The bluebloods will leave the NCAA, which means the players won't have to go to class. "NCAA football" will be played by enrolled students who might get minor NIL money, but largely will just get what the grant-in-aid gives now. The TV money will be minimal, at best, because the bluebloods will get most all of it. It will be a return to 1983 (before the Supreme Court took control of TV from the NCAA) in a lot of ways because a lot fewer games will be broadcast.

Back then, a 1:30 non-broadcast game and a noon broadcast game would both end at around 3:30.

At this point I am all for this. Give me 2:30pm (like ND) start times every week that end by sun down. That allows me a full non breakfast food tailgate.

Give me 10+ games (both home and away) that are within a tank of gas ride.

Give me a round robin conference schedule, in a conference that we can win any given year.

The worst part about PE when in school was having to hurdle those damn pommel horses, followed closely by rope climbing. What sadist came up with those ideas? Amirite? That's what we're talking about, right?

The worst part about PE when in school was having to hurdle those damn pommel horses, followed closely by rope climbing. What sadist came up with those ideas? Amirite? That's what we're talking about, right?
what does a pommel horse have to do with anything premature? I'm so confused

At this point I am all for this. Give me 2:30pm (like ND) start times every week that end by sun down. That allows me a full non breakfast food tailgate.

Give me 10+ games (both home and away) that are within a tank of gas ride.

Give me a round robin conference schedule, in a conference that we can win any given year.
That would be called the Patriot league.

That would be called the Patriot league.
More like the Big East minus Miami.

Is a conference of SU, BC, UConn, Rutgers, Temple, Pitt, West Virginia, Maryland, Army, Navy really that bad? Those are all of our traditional Eastern rivals minus Penn State.

Private equity is such a broad label. I have raised money from State economic development funds, From country economic development funds, went public with GS with one company, sold to and ran a company for Black stone, and raised capital from two PE firms over my career.
Each one of these situations was different. Each had positives and negatives.
The key is that the structure of the relationship and most importantly the goals of each party have to be aligned at the start or it becomes a mess. All but two of my deals worked out well for all involved. My first deal worked out extremely well for the State of ND but not so well for me as I didn't make much on it. Still it was a success. I took a company public out of Omaha with Goldman and that was a mess. Why? Because the business needed to be run in a way that didn't align with how most publicly traded companies are measured. We ended up buying the company back in that deal and wasting a considerable amount of time and human capital.
The PE deals were actually the best as they were well thought out and structured properly.
I believe that the schools can raise capital efficiently from PE firms, retain control and provide the firms with a solid return.
These deals will in essence be long term loans against future TV /league payouts. There won't be an equity component as they will not be owing a percentage of the university rather they will receive a percentage of future earnings which I would assume will be tied directly to gross payouts from their leagues/media rights agreements.
Long story short PE in this environment is in my mind mostly a long term loan with a fixed return. The PE companies are not going to running the athletic departments of the schools. They are simply going to provide the schools with capital today against future earnings.

More like the Big East minus Miami.

Is a conference of SU, BC, UConn, Rutgers, Temple, Pitt, West Virginia, Maryland, Army, Navy really that bad? Those are all of our traditional Eastern rivals minus Penn State.
Yes. Not trying to be cute or rude, but that is a horrendous football conference in 2024.

Status
Not open for further replies.