players only meeting | Syracusefan.com

players only meeting

tipphill

All Conference
i am glad they had one. however i have never seen that change anything. usually it is a desperation move on the part of a team.--god i hope i am wrong

who would lead such a meeting? a 5th year senior transfer? a senior who has been relegated to the bench?

Glad to hear it. And I disagree that they do nothing.

I would bet Coleman was pretty vocal and hope Lydon led it. He shouldn't let his underclassman status hold him back from being the leader on the court and in the locker room.

I don't really buy that type of thing for professional teams since the margin is so razor thin and they are already elite at their job. For a handful of college kids who haven't learned how to play either side of the floor together? This can snap some things into focus. White clearly took it to heart as last night was his most complete game of the season.

All that said, unless Frank Howard magically gets better against actual high-major teams, it won't matter. That's necessary for both the offense and defense to be anything more than a show.

I was so happy to read that story this morning! The only thing that would have made me feel better is if Boeheim called them together and said, "Okay, what did you learn about each other in that meeting that will help me coach you better?"

Laugh if you will! These kids are demoralized and shocked. It was very important for their team cohesion for them to call this meeting and talk frankly. The goal was to help each other play better. How can anyone not like that they did this???

My guess is Coleman. Never truly had a chance to be healthy until now. Local kid. Senior. Bleeds Orange. sounds like everyone spoke equally but if i had to guess "leading" the discussion was Coleman, Lydon, and White.

i am glad they had one. however i have never seen that change anything. usually it is a desperation move on the part of a team.--god i hope i am wrong

If losing by 33 in the Dome to a lousy Johnnies team, worst home defeat in the JB era, and having 5 out of conference losses (only one of those teams is currently ranked) before Christmas isn't desperation...well, then I'd hate to know what is for a program of this stature.

Meeting was a good thing to have, given that they are virtually a bunch of strangers. JB made it clear in his post-Cornell presser that he's not there to hold hands and conduct retreats -- he's just the ol' ball coach who drills them in their on-court assignments. Too bad. The soft stuff is the hard stuff.

Cornell game showed some improvement in areas posters have been urging: AW's IIIs weren't falling, so he drove to the basket more than in the past. Lydon took a more assertive role. Howard had only one turnover. Gillon passed of some of his drives. Maybe the meeting accomplished something after all. Now as to who steps up to become the team leader and/or the one who puts the team on his shoulders at crunch time, that's still TBD, but it apparently won't come from JB.-VBOF

who would lead such a meeting? a 5th year senior transfer? a senior who has been relegated to the bench?

held the meeting at roberson's pad. treats were served.

master+PIL014.jpg

Yeah I realize it was Cornell but the one thing that struck me was everybody's willingness to make the extra pass. The difference was so obvious I was thinking that it was a special edict for the game.

A reliable source told me that Kaleb Joseph got wired in for a conference call to lead the meeting.

Seriously though, if they didn't have a meeting after the St. John's game, I'd be worried. The problem with that game, among so many things, is that they quit. I don't think I've ever watched a 'Cuse team that just flat out quit like that (especially at home).

Many positives after last night's game - including Boeheim obviously finding a rotation that he's going to likely stick with as we move forward.

A reliable source told me that Kaleb Joseph got wired in for a conference call to lead the meeting.

Seriously though, if they didn't have a meeting after the St. John's game, I'd be worried. The problem with that game, among so many things, is that they quit. I don't think I've ever watched a 'Cuse team that just flat out quit like that (especially at home).

Many positives after last night's game - including Boeheim obviously finding a rotation that he's going to likely stick with as we move forward.
yep and if that means Gillon/Battle as the primary backcourt so be it

It was a "players-only" meeting that turned around the 2002-3 season. After a terrible loss at Rutgers in late January in which some players appeared unwilling to feed a wide-open GMac, Kueth Duany called a players-only meeting in which he begged his team mates to play like a team. Three days later, in the crazy game against Pitt which had three court-stormings, the team took its first step towards cutting down the nets in New Orleans.

Last edited:
It was a "players-only" meeting that turned around the 2002-3 season. After a terrible loss at Rutgers in late January in which some players appeared unwilling to feed a wide-open GMac, Kueth Duany called a players-only meeting in which he begged his team mates to play like a team. Three days later in the crazy game against Pitt which had three court-stormings, the team took its first step towards cutting down the nets in New Orleans.
Yeah people forget the chemistry issues we had on that team because we overcame them.

It was a "players-only" meeting that turned around the 2002-3 season. After a terrible loss at Rutgers in late January in which some players appeared unwilling to feed a wide-open GMac, Kueth Duany called a players-only meeting in which he begged his team mates to play like a team. Three days later in the crazy game against Pitt which had three court-stormings, the team took its first step towards cutting down the nets in New Orleans.

Preach, oh sage of the SUniverse!!! There was a small rift on that team that many forget. Great post, Joyce.

This year's team could use a 5th year Laz Sims or Allen Griffin. They were solid team leaders.

That's awesome. This team clearly lacks Kueth.

I still believe the individual talent is there to win games and there are plenty of resume-builders on the conference slate.

As everyone as qualified, yes, it was Cornell. But the body language was the best it's been in weeks (even in wins), Roberson played like Roberson needs to play, White showed a complete game, a Lydon and Battle shot with confidence. I've never been concerned about TT since we can't reasonably expect him to be good zone defender in a single season (when his position keeps changing) and Gillon only needs to make small adjustments to be effective running the "offense."

I've stepped away from the ledge, accepted that this team is currently an NIT team with upside, and will simply watch to see improvements. Shitty adjustment to have to make considering what we came in expecting, but such is life.

I still believe the individual talent is there to win games and there are plenty of resume-builders on the conference slate.

As everyone as qualified, yes, it was Cornell. But the body language was the best it's been in weeks (even in wins), Roberson played like Roberson needs to play, White showed a complete game, a Lydon and Battle shot with confidence. I've never been concerned about TT since we can't reasonably expect him to be good zone defender in a single season (when his position keeps changing) and Gillon only needs to make small adjustments to be effective running the "offense."

I've stepped away from the ledge, accepted that this team is currently an NIT team with upside, and will simply watch to see improvements. Shitty adjustment to have to make considering what we came in expecting, but such is life.

Just leaves Howard and Coleman. I really don't know what to expect from Howard, but Coleman I'm ready to banish to the bench in favor of Lydon and Thompson at the 5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom