Players Returning Next Year | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Players Returning Next Year

I know my main concern is the talent available via the portal. Our guys are far from perfect but I’m not confident that there are enough guys that are an improvement that we can land.

Weird landscape with Covid super seniors but continuity is an advantage, especially with upperclassmen. Ideally we can land a veteran PG and C. Guys that can bring maturity and toughness. Two major items we’ve been lacking over the last few years.

Probably too optimistic but think those additions plus the frosh and a healthy Westry to a core of Brown/Bell/JJ/Cope is an improvement on this year and a tourney team.
This is 100% accurate. Go back through and look at the portal rankings last year. At least we only need 2-3 solid guys out of the portal unlike 5-6 that teams like Clemson, Wake and NCState need.

Exactly. Gmac is not going anywhere for less than a Patriot league job.

The assistants are going nowhere.

The fans do not get it. Gmac got a promotion last year. None of the assistants are going anywhere after year one unless something surprising happens. This is year one. It's separate from the JB era.
GMAC got a promotion the same way my current COO got a promotion. Someone had to fill the role when the old guy got moved to CEO so he was a defacto pick.

Judah had a crappy answer in the press conference. He said he had a new “head on the snake” this year and it was difficult at times. The kid is uncoachable and just doesn’t know how to play within a team concept.
What does that even mean? What is he referring to?

I know my main concern is the talent available via the portal. Our guys are far from perfect but I’m not confident that there are enough guys that are an improvement that we can land.
This is 100% accurate. Go back through and look at the portal rankings last year. At least we only need 2-3 solid guys out of the portal unlike 5-6 that teams like Clemson, Wake and NCState need.
I get the concern, but maybe the guys we landed weren't the ones we needed. The top ranked 2023 portal transfers during the 2023 spring portal season weren't the same ones who ultimately had the biggest impact for teams in 2024. Dalton Knecht would be POTY if not for Edey. He was ranked outside the top-10 among transfers last spring. Harrison Ingram was 25th or whatever. Coaches have to do better identifying players that can make an impact for Syracuse. Rankings aren't the be all.

I get the concern, but maybe the guys we landed weren't the ones we needed. The top ranked 2023 portal transfers during the 2023 spring portal season weren't the same ones who ultimately had the biggest impact for teams in 2024. Dalton Knecht would be POTY if not for Edey. He was ranked outside the top-10 among transfers last spring. Harrison Ingram was 25th or whatever. Coaches have to do better identifying players that can make an impact for Syracuse. Rankings aren't the be all.
Yeah...I don't share the concern. If we can't get better players through the portal, but teams like Wake can, there's a major problem. Red needs to get it done and I trust that he'll do it.

Agree on GMAC...there were promises made to him
What kind of promises?
I can't imagine the JW would promise GMAC that if he stayed on staff this year, then left to take a head coaching job somewhere else that he would be first in line if Syracuse replaced Red in the future.

If GMAC wants to be a head coach someday I think the chances of it being at Syracuse are zero anytime soon. If Red doesn't succeed you can't replace him with another former SU coach under JB.

It would be time to hire outside the program even if GMAC had success as HC at another school.

Well...we played zone for the last 20 years. You would have seen worse if we played man full time. Not suggesting that JJ's good.
So he’s only better than hypotheticals? Thanks for proving my point.

So he’s only better than hypotheticals? Thanks for proving my point.
Your point that you don't watch much basketball other than Syracuse game? I'm honestly not sure of your point other than hyperbole. JJ is not the worst defender in college basketball in 20 years.

Frankly the only guys I want back are Brown, JJ, Copeland and Bell. We have 2 good freshmen coming in. Red needs to hit the portal hard and bring in some size and muscle up front so we don't have another year of getting bullied in the paint. Oh, and get a PG who distributes the ball.

What kind of promises?
I can't imagine the JW would promise GMAC that if he stayed on staff this year, then left to take a head coaching job somewhere else that he would be first in line if Syracuse replaced Red in the future.

If GMAC wants to be a head coach someday I think the chances of it being at Syracuse are zero anytime soon. If Red doesn't succeed you can't replace him with another former SU coach under JB.

It would be time to hire outside the program even if GMAC had success as HC at another school.

Well, it was rumored GMAC was who JBs wanted in charge...

I am guessing he interviewed separately from Red with Wildhack, and Wildhack liked what he heard from Red better??

Haven't heard that GMAC was promised anything unless JB did it w/o the authority to do so... but i am definitley not ITK, so...

Weird landscape with Covid super seniors but continuity is an advantage, especially with upperclassmen. Ideally we can land a veteran PG and C. Guys that can bring maturity and toughness. Two major items we’ve been lacking over the last few years.

Probably too optimistic but think those additions plus the frosh and a healthy Westry to a core of Brown/Bell/JJ/Cope is an improvement on this year and a tourney team.
There will be players available. The key is finding the right ones that fit. Cincinnati picked up 2 under the radar transfers last year that would have helped this team. Simas Lukosius (6'8" 230 swingman) from Butler and Day Day Thomas (6'0" solid 185) from juco. They each averaged 10 ppg this season and the other night against WVU each hit 7 3's. They also brought in TWO centers 7'0" 235 Aziz Bandaego and 6'11" 275 Jamille Reynolds. Each would have helped SU more than McLeod in my opinion even had he stayed healthy. SU brought in 4 guys also. Only one of them really helped. My only point really is...there will be players available.

Because 9 of those years with with their hands tied behind their back with Jim Boeheim as coach. Nobody was succeeding under those circumstances. Even Hops recruiting started to fall off at the end because JB got lazy. FTR Gmac brought in Brown and Copeland. The only season that this staff should be judged on is the one that currently is ending and I suspect JW thinks the same or else he wouldn't have approved hiring these guys last year and giving 2 of them a promotion.
Grasping at straws. I’ve seen very little improvement and development from the guards since GMac has been on staff. He’s not exactly bringing in 5 star McD AA players every year. I’ll always love GMac for his contribution to the 2003 national championship, but that doesn’t mean he should have a job for life.

Grasping at straws. I’ve seen very little improvement and development from the guards since GMac has been on staff. He’s not exactly bringing in 5 star McD AA players every year. I’ll always love GMac for his contribution to the 2003 national championship, but that doesn’t mean he should have a job for life.
Oh really? JJ couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn in November. Who do you think worked with him?

I won’t get into others because you clearly have made up your mind and dug in.

Nobody is saying anyone should have a job for life, but there will be no change unless someone leaves on their own.

Some of you are not thinking rationally. This is year one with thIs setup. Anything brought up during JB’s time here is thrown out the window. And again based on everyone’s preseason predictions we finished either right in line or just above expectations.

What I see as the biggest problem with the returning players / portal is that Red has to
pretty much make (or will be forced into making) a decision about the frontcourt like now:

Is he going to go with a CENTER (portal or on roster already) with Brown and Freeman; is
he going with Brown and Freeman and Bell; or is he going said CENTER and Bell and then
either Brown or Freeman? I don't see how any of those options result in both Brown and Bell
returning, as no way Bell will want to sit; Maliq probably won't want to sit, and whether or
not he wants to, if he's the C, that lineup doesn't work; Freeman isn't going to sit; and if
you're finding a portal C, he's not coming to sit either.

Solving that issue will take care of the roster.

Kev

There will be players available. The key is finding the right ones that fit. Cincinnati picked up 2 under the radar transfers last year that would have helped this team. Simas Lukosius (6'8" 230 swingman) from Butler and Day Day Thomas (6'0" solid 185) from juco. They each averaged 10 ppg this season and the other night against WVU each hit 7 3's. They also brought in TWO centers 7'0" 235 Aziz Bandaego and 6'11" 275 Jamille Reynolds. Each would have helped SU more than McLeod in my opinion even had he stayed healthy. SU brought in 4 guys also. Only one of them really helped. My only point really is...there will be players available.
We need to bring some grown men into this program. Some cornfed dudes with good footwork and fundamentals.
Enough with the projects and beanpoles, already!

Last edited:
Judah had a crappy answer in the press conference. He said he had a new “head on the snake” this year and it was difficult at times. The kid is uncoachable and just doesn’t know how to play within a team concept.
what does that even mean?

Oh really? JJ couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn in November. Who do you think worked with him?

I won’t get into others because you clearly have made up your mind and dug in.

Nobody is saying anyone should have a job for life, but there will be no change unless someone leaves on their own.

Some of you are not thinking rationally. This is year one with thIs setup. Anything brought up during JB’s time here is thrown out the window. And again based on everyone’s preseason predictions we finished either right in line or just above expectations.
I’m probably one of the more rational thinkers around. It seems you’re emotionally attached to GMac. No big deal, there’s lots of loyaltists on this board. Reality is I don’t see GMac improving as a coach and recruiter. He is what he is at this stage of his career. Change is needed.

I’m probably one of the more rational thinkers around. It seems you’re emotionally attached to GMac. No big deal, there’s lots of loyaltists on this board. Reality is I don’t see GMac improving as a coach and recruiter. He is what he is at this stage of his career. Change is needed.

I don't think the poster you are replying to is a loyalist to GMac, just my 0.02.

Not trying to hammer you, just point of clarity.

-Taylor will leave on his own day 1 of portal. The kid has friends and family that showed up to the dome to hear him get boo'ed on his own home court and that will not sit well. Like him or not he doesn't fit the Autry system. He'll be back in the DMV area playing ball off the bench next year. Results on court speak for themselves despite hard work.
This would be the best outcome for all involved, so I hope it goes that way.
-Carey is 21, but with the body of a 16 year old and the injury history of Mr Glass. This is the one guy Autry needs to push out the door. Call it tough love but I don't see him contributing at all next year even deep off bench.
If the coaches want him gone, I 100% trust their decision - they've seen a lot more of him than the fans have.
-Bell. I think will be the one that surprises and scares us all with an early entry into the portal. This kid is a mystery. Capable of winning games on his own but such a defensive and mental liability. There may be top tier teams that are willing to give him a huge bag just for his jumper. We'll of course match the # (no more Jesse debacles). He's Autry's #1 project and you can see the oncourt coaching real time, so much talent that needs to be harnessed.
I think Bell would benefit a lot from us having a deep enough roster to bench him when needed. Then Red can set the expectations for what he needs to do to keep his playing time. He has four big areas where he could make drastic improvements: shooting off screens, attacking off the dribble, defense, rebounding. If he improves any two of them enough, he becomes a star player IMO.
-Judah. This is the #1 decision that will drive every other decision and what we do in the portal. Autry needs to decide if he wants to run a Judah offense back again. Such a polarizing player for not just our fanbase but the whole league. My gut says it's a No and it will be a mutual departure. Judah hates hates hates the ACC refs. I suspect he will be G League bound although who knows if he will take a big bag at a school that is ok with just giving him the keys and letting him do whatever he wants. Will be tough not seeing him in Orange, but I suspect in the long run a true facilitator will outweigh his production. If by some miracle he's back in Orange I'll be happy but also be worried too. Fun fact, Judah finish 4th in scoring. Of the top 25 scorers in the ACC 20 of them are Sr's / Super Srs leaving. Judah would be the best returning guard in the league with only Sallis and Burton that are even close to him. Interesting to see JJ for how streaky he was early on still finished 26th in the ACC in scoring.
I agree with most of that - I'll be more worried than happy if he's back. He's got a shot at the NBA, and the G League probably maximizes his chances of that. But he could also make a lot more money the next two years at the college level than he could in the G League, and there's no guarantee he makes the NBA either way.

If I were advising him, I'd probably tell him enter the portal, take the biggest bag from a P5 school, and stay at the college level unless he's a lottery pick. He can probably make $1.5 mil over two years off NIL, clear about $1M after taxes. Put like $750K in the market and forget about it until your playing days are over, and you're set for life even if your playing days were spent entirely in the G League. Easier said than done for anyone that age, of course.

We need to bring some grown men to this program. Some cornfed dudes with good footwork and fundamentals.
Enough with the projects and beanpoles, already!
It's amazing how early in JB's career he had Louie and Bouie, Rony and DC, DC and Billy, Billy and Leron. Then he had Wallace and Hill. Their are others Blackwell, and Thomas, Melo and Hak.
The it seems after Arinze and Jackson J B stopped recruiting those players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom