Players Returning Next Year | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Players Returning Next Year

Exactly. Gmac is not going anywhere for less than a Patriot league job.

The assistants are going nowhere.

The fans do not get it. Gmac got a promotion last year. None of the assistants are going anywhere after year one unless something surprising happens. This is year one. It's separate from the JB era.
This wasn’t a fan take

You mean like the three games in Maui where we got steamrolled?
Well, yes. Tennessee shot 19-46 inside the arc, a not so good 41% on two point shots. Since Tennessee got about a million breakaway dunks in transition and McLeod four 4 blocks, I would say he made a difference. We did get crushed on the boards by 15, though, so McLeod wasn't exactly dominating there.

Gonzaga shoot 52% inside the arc, in spite of McLeod getting 4 blocks. They also crushed us on the boards, by 20! So McLeod clearly isn't some world beating difference maker.

But, if McLeod had given us 20 minutes against Clemson, we wouldn't have watched Hall get 20 layups with Brown helplessly standing between him and the basket. The game night not have been a win, but it wouldn't have felt so hopeless from the opening baskets of the game.

I'm not suggesting McLeod was terrific. I am suggesting his injury took away options that Red could have used to change the tone of the game. Carey isn't a game changer as an alternative to Brown, and may never be. McLeod definitely would changed the game when he came in for Brown.

The question is: does an elite shotblocker who does virtually nothing else help the team? McLeod seems to be an exhibit for the answer being no.

I hope we move on from him or Brown as the starter at center.

I’m not emotionally attached to anyone. GMac, griff whoever nobody is getting let go this year. No reasonable manager does this after year one.
Literally happens all the time. Again, this isn’t year one with these coaches. Not sure why you keep saying it is. Their tenure didn’t get reset to zero after JB retired. They’ve been with the program for a very long time.

Literally happens all the time. Again, this isn’t year one with these coaches. Not sure why you keep saying it is. Their tenure didn’t get reset to zero after JB retired. They’ve been with the program for a very long time.
That’s your opinion. The only way they are leaving is if they get hired to a HC job that’s worth it to them. All of these guys get 3 years if they stay. Straughn included. If JW or Red didn’t like Griff or GMac the time to make a move was last season. Based on how JW operates nobody is getting pushed out after winning 20 games in year one. Thats the way I see it.

That’s your opinion. The only way they are leaving is if they get hired to a HC job that’s worth it to them. All of these guys get 3 years if they stay. Straughn included. If JW or Red didn’t like Griff or GMac the time to make a move was last season. Based on how JW operates nobody is getting pushed out after winning 20 games in year one. Thats the way I see it.
We see this in very different ways. Probably my experience gives me a different perspective.

Some of that is people being honest that few first year coaches really blow expectations out of the water. Based on the amount of time I spend on this stupid site, it seems that most posters fall into a couple of different camps:
1) Most, if not all, of the players are good enough, but they should return to get needed experience and time in Red's system to excel.​
2) Most, if not all, of the players are NOT good enough, need talent infusion, stat.​
3) Close! Just need a couple of portal guys to improve depth and we're there!​
4) FrancoPizza (I kid, I kid ... kinda.)​

Personally, I'm in camp 2. I don't think they're going to win anything of note with two of the best three (likely returning) starters playing defense on a (very) part time basis. Maliq is fine, Cope is a good enough 6th man, after that, from this year's team, I don't know who else I'm excited to see return. And that is at my pessimistic. Optimistically, I think Cuffe and JJ can improve to be average guards, Bell could be all-ACC if everything clicks - but I won't hold my breath.

Not saying you’re wrong, but with what other four players would he be a good fit? Unless it’s flashy he won’t pass, he doesn’t take care of the ball, he can’t shoot, not a great defender, he argues with coaches, teammates and referees from the jump to the buzzer. He’s a flashy better ball handling Jalen Carey.

Bench/energy guy is where I’m going. Not a starter though. He had some nice moments but he leaned on some bad habits to finish the year too.

I agree to a point - question is would a MAAC job be a pay cut? Fiscal reality may play a role here.

It's about your career. If you want to be a head coach someday, this is where the path leads next.

Agreed. and no idea on the answer. It seems absurd on its face.

I have to think they can decline. It's like getting an invitation to the NFL combine. Not any guy can show up and get tested. There are limited resources.

What I see as the biggest problem with the returning players / portal is that Red has to
pretty much make (or will be forced into making) a decision about the frontcourt like now:

Is he going to go with a CENTER (portal or on roster already) with Brown and Freeman; is
he going with Brown and Freeman and Bell; or is he going said CENTER and Bell and then
either Brown or Freeman? I don't see how any of those options result in both Brown and Bell
returning, as no way Bell will want to sit; Maliq probably won't want to sit, and whether or
not he wants to, if he's the C, that lineup doesn't work; Freeman isn't going to sit; and if
you're finding a portal C, he's not coming to sit either.

Solving that issue will take care of the roster.

Kev

It's not so black and white. It's about minutes. There are plenty of minutes to go around, with everyone playing 20-25 minutes a game next year. Egos need stroking, yes, but it's all about minutes.

If Red is any good as a salesman, he can point to Dion Waiters, who was a 6th man who was taken something like 6th in the First Round.

It's about your career. If you want to be a head coach someday, this is where the path leads next.
Thanks I'm aware how it works. Might be about his family or a myriad of other reasons too.

Thanks I'm aware how it works. Might be about his family or a myriad of other reasons too.

Yeah, he's been here 12 years now. If he ever aspires to be a head coach, it's soon time to leave. If you are a coach, your life is travel. You uproot your family. It's like being in the military. If he's serious about ever being a head coach, he's in his early 40s now. It's time.

I'm beyond wasted at some bar in Boston, I dont know whats going on.
What bar? 50% chance my dirtball friends are in the handicap stall as a I type this.

plus dont forget europe!

how much NBA talent right now is from Europe?

someone like Marek wasnt even on anyone's radar...

availability of talent is literally the last thing anyone should worry about...

being able to pick the right talent is the concern.
Soo many guys in our backyard and recruiting radius that the previous staff never bothered offering or able to get traction w. Confident that is starting to change.

For those saying this staff and tenure is totally separate from JB, that will only be the case if things go well. If things don't get better than this year, a portion of the fan base will voice their displeasure and a change will be forced to happen. That's the reality.

What bar? 50% chance my dirtball friends are in the handicap stall as a I type this.
20240314_201450.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom