Players who picked Penn State over Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Players who picked Penn State over Syracuse

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
pic_ROSECRANS.jpg

LB Jim Rosecrans 6-1 228 1970's West Genesee

pic_CURKENDALL.jpg

LB Pete Curkendall Mid to Late 80's out of Elmira South Side Two Time Ernie Davis Award winner

tamba-hali-penn-state-nittany-lions-autographed-photograph-3390200.jpg

LB Tamba Hali early 2000's 6-3 275 form New Jersey

All of the above happened to be linebackers, I remember SU really went after them hard. Alas, they chose Pedophile U over us.

Of course more recently we wanted Nick Sukay who was a teammate of Max Suter and Cody Catalina. Nick ended up playing safety there.

Are there any other players who you remember feeling SU had a chance with until they selected PSU?

Hali was really a DE.

Have to remember, too, that PSU didn't have this rep when those kids chose Penn State.

Curtis Dukes out of Indian River in 09 he's now a sophomore rs tailback there and has shown promise to be something pretty good next year...buried on the shelf behind royster for two seasons. 6'1" 237 with 4.5 to high 4.4 speed. He would have been a great get

Hali was really a DE.

Have to remember, too, that PSU didn't have this rep when those kids chose Penn State.
Yes, when we recruited him we had the Dwight Freeney comparisons. He's now a linebacker with the Chiefs.

pic_ROSECRANS.jpg

LB Jim Rosecrans 6-1 228 1970's West Genesee

pic_CURKENDALL.jpg

LB Pete Curkendall Mid to Late 80's out of Elmira South Side Two Time Ernie Davis Award winner

tamba-hali-penn-state-nittany-lions-autographed-photograph-3390200.jpg

LB Tamba Hali early 2000's 6-3 275 form New Jersey

All of the above happened to be linebackers, I remember SU really went after them hard. Alas, they chose Pedophile U over us.

Of course more recently we wanted Nick Sukay who was a teammate of Max Suter and Cody Catalina. Nick ended up playing safety there.

Are there any other players who you remember feeling SU had a chance with until they selected PSU?

DaQuan Jones would look good here as a transfer as would Donovan Smith. To a lesser degree of them having SU interest being recruited former HS teammates Silas Redd and Khari Fortt -- get them up here BlackKnight :)

Cordell Mitchell, RB, Parade All-American from Bishop Ludden/Corcoran.

DaQuan Jones would look good here as a transfer as would Donovan Smith. To a lesser degree of them having SU interest being recruited former HS teammates Silas Redd and Khari Fortt -- get them up here BlackKnight :)

Haha, I only played with Khairi. Silas is from my hometown though. They're both really good kids. I do feel bad for the players in all of this.

more importantly, how about some of the current commits they have for 2012...

I recall the Tamba Hali story (at least I think it was him). He had a zillion offers but was reportedly a heavy SU lean. He decided one final, late January visit to Happy Valley. At the time PSU was struggling on the field and the general sentiment was that JoPa would be retiring. Paterno ended up challenging Hali to a game of pick-up basketball, which impressed Hali with his youthfulness, and apparently won him over. It was one of those late in the recruiting season heartbreaks.

Curtis Dukes out of Indian River in 09 he's now a sophomore rs tailback there and has shown promise to be something pretty good next year...buried on the shelf behind royster for two seasons. 6'1" 237 with 4.5 to high 4.4 speed. He would have been a great get
If they give the kids their release and a play immediately elsewhere grant, maybe he would want to come home and play here. Definitely fills a position of need.

I recall the Tamba Hali story (at least I think it was him). He had a zillion offers but was reportedly a heavy SU lean. He decided one final, late January visit to Happy Valley. At the time PSU was struggling on the field and the general sentiment was that JoPa would be retiring. Paterno ended up challenging Hali to a game of pick-up basketball, which impressed Hali with his youthfulness, and apparently won him over. It was one of those late in the recruiting season heartbreaks.

Maybe it was the shower afterward that sealed the deal.

Too soon?

Mike Bass. He was a lineman out of Port Byron, NY in the late 1980s. Attended Penn State over offers from Syracuse and many other schools.

Mike Bass. He was a lineman out of Port Byron, NY in the late 1980s. Attended Penn State over offers from Syracuse and many other schools.
roomed with Kerry Collins... he was in the mid-90's. I know him well... lives up north now after losing the Cayuga County DA bid in 2007...

For the old timers here: Bob Campbell, Vestal, NY. Thought he was coming to SU but went to PSU and was a star around 1966-68.

roomed with Kerry Collins... he was in the mid-90's. I know him well... lives up north now after losing the Cayuga County DA bid in 2007...

Mike coached me in football, and I worked for him when he was doing Defense in Auburn. He was the one responsible for me playing in college. I have lost touch with him since he moved north. Are you still in contact with him?

For the old timers here: Bob Campbell, Vestal, NY. Thought he was coming to SU but went to PSU and was a star around 1966-68.
Last I knew He was wide receivers Coach at Gettysburg