Please tell me how we are better next year? | Syracusefan.com

Please tell me how we are better next year?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
There are a couple people on the board that are insinuating the team will be better next year. Please give me an idea of how this will be the case?

Syracuse loses three starters -- a senior guard, a senior center and the team's leading scorer.

There are four commits currently -- two combo guards, a small forward and a center that, in my opinion, is a project.

No Top 40 players committed, no McD's All-Americans, and most importantly -- nobody to fill the starting center or starting point guard role.

A ton of IF's -- if Sidibe makes a leap, if Carey makes a leap, if Hughes/Brissett become more consistent, if Boeheim gains more agility/strength in offseason, if Goodine can come right in and play, if Guerrier is the small forward with inside outside skills that we have been missing... the list goes on.

Trying to find positives about the future but there are just so many question marks...

We can't be a lot worse. Battle will be tough to replace the other 2 not as much. I think the biggest key is adding a center. I.like the guys we are bringing in.

I'm not saying that we're going to be better.

But I do think that the locker room might benefit from some dynamics that will be exiting. So, that's a step forward.

The rest will be up to the players, and who we add from this point forward for next year.

And I think you are going to eventually change your tune about JBA -- he's quite a bit better than you and others give him credit for.

Last edited:
1- no Frank
2- Battle is a loss but 2 is where this roster is by far at its deepest
3- should be much improved shooting
4- if Quincy is the real deal, consistent O pressure at the 3
5- maybe we'll have some plays installed

We need a leader on the court, a floor general. We seemed like a rudderless ship out there most games, with no sense of urgency and fire. Hope the better dynamics helps with that.

There are a couple people on the board that are insinuating the team will be better next year. Please give me an idea of how this will be the case?

Syracuse loses three starters -- a senior guard, a senior center and the team's leading scorer.

There are four commits currently -- two combo guards, a small forward and a center that, in my opinion, is a project.

No Top 40 players committed, no McD's All-Americans, and most importantly -- nobody to fill the starting center or starting point guard role.

A ton of IF's -- if Sidibe makes a leap, if Carey makes a leap, if Hughes/Brissett become more consistent, if Boeheim gains more agility/strength in offseason, if Goodine can come right in and play, if Guerrier is the small forward with inside outside skills that we have been missing... the list goes on.

Trying to find positives about the future but there are just so many question marks...
New chemistry/greater buy-in, Braswell, Carey unleashed (faster), Guerrier pushes Brissett or subplants him, Dolezaj gains 2 lbs.

Yeah I dont know about this

Losing 3 starters, but only 1 was a good player.

Chukwu and Howard had their moments, but that’s not exactly irreplaceable production we’re losing.

Next years team will be deeper and more experienced.

I don’t know that they will be better, but I think they could be. I think we’ll be decent at the worst.

Will we be youngest team in P5?

Young as far as having no seniors. But Brissett and Marek will be juniors who played a ton as freshman and sophs, and Sidibe will also be a junior with some experience. Hughes a junior who played a ton and is in his 4th year of college.

Washington will be a 3rd year soph.

We were much younger 2 years ago.

Losing 3 starters, but only 1 was a good player.

Chukwu and Howard had their moments, but that’s not exactly irreplaceable production we’re losing.

Next years team will be deeper and more experienced.

I don’t know that they will be better, but I think they could be. I think we’ll be decent at the worst.
we will be a bubble team again lol

I'm not saying that we're going to be better.

But I do think that the locker room might benefit from some dynamics that will be exiting. So, that's a step forward.

The rest will be up to the players, and who we add from this point forward for next year.

And I think you are going to eventually change your tune about JBA -- he's quite a bit better than you and others give him credit for.
Agreed, with much of this. I'm excited to see Goodine and Guerrier, especially, and they will challenge incumbents to be better. But, why do you think so, re: JBAjak? The "others" include his own high school coaches. Recent comments in his recruitment thread indicated he's not even starting for his HS team. Maybe he's got some talented players ahead of him there, but still... if you can't crack the starting lineup your HS Senior year—anywhere—why would we expect him to be ready to contribute here?

Young as far as having no seniors. But Brissett and Marek will be juniors who played a ton as freshman and sophs, and Sidibe will also be a junior with some experience. Hughes a junior who played a ton and is in his 4th year of college.

Washington will be a 3rd year soph.

We were much younger 2 years ago.
Of those guys, I guess OB is most likely to be the more "vocal" leader? EH and MD are "quieter" type. Maybe one of the young pups steps up as a floor leader.

Agreed, with much of this. I'm excited to see Goodine and Guerrier, especially, and they will challenge incumbents to be better. But, why do you think so, re: JBAjak? The "others" include his own high school coaches. Recent comments in his recruitment thread indicated he's not even starting for his HS team. Maybe he's got some talented players ahead of him there, but still... if you can't crack the starting lineup your HS Senior year—anywhere—why would we expect him to be ready to contribute here?

Very good question, Zelda. I don't think that this is commonly understood, but he has two five star bigs on his high school team. Its not like he's playing on a random high school team and doesn't start.

Keita didn't start at Oak Hill, either, under similar circumstances. He turned out to be pretty good.

Maybe fans just can’t help themselves.

But, it appear that there hasn’t been much learning going on. Remember the Board euphoria after Battle announced he was coming back?

I’ll tell you in mid-January how good we might be.

Nobody in March is going to get even close to guessing right. There’s too many unknowns.

What players will be on the roster?

How much will the returning players improve or regress?

How good will the incoming players be?

What will the team chemistry be like and will it improve over the season?

Hopefully the junior trio of Hughes, Oshae, and Marek become the vocal/team leaders.

1) As great as Tyus was, I think we stood and watched him a lot
2) Hughes can be a superstar if he can start putting together two halves more and not be as streaky
3) Possibly have a PG who can push the ball and finish a fast break

C'mon.
Why all the angst?
Next year it will be Oshae Brissett's team.

This thread stinks. I hate the title. There are ifs,ands and buts every year. It’s college basketball. The one year we have everyone back was this year and,IMO,it was a bad year.
So you are either a positive fan or a negative fan.
So I ask...How are we worse next year? Somebody tell me.