Please tell me how we are better next year? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Please tell me how we are better next year?

We were an 8 seed this season. Being better will take at least two surprise developments - at center and at point guard. Surprises happen — how many expected Buddy to be a player this season?
So, Marek needs to add 10 LBs and we need to add Jesse Edwards and have him be better than a junior Sidibe.
And, we need Girard to be a legit D1 combo guard, ready to play day 1.

Those miracles plus expected help from Guerrier and Goodine should give us a chance.

We were an 8 seed this season. Being better will take at least two surprise developments - at center and at point guard. Surprises happen — how many expected Buddy to be a player this season?
So, Marek needs to add 10 LBs and we need to add Jesse Edwards and have him be better than a junior Sidibe.

Those miracles plus expected help from Guerrier and Goodine should give us a chance.

You are really under valuing Girard, he will be much better than most on here believe.

Agreed. The 5 needs another body at the very least and if the new freshman can give quality minutes I'll be very happy with that.

Somebody on this team offensively has to be able to penetrate and score/pass. Multiple is better. The shooters are there but they don't seem to be able to get open on their own with a pressing D, somebody has to make that happen. SU is getting its own version of 3G and it's any ones guess where that is going to take SU.

If Brissett could improve his J/free throw%, dribble and pass...I'd be thrilled with that.

I'd like to see someone under the basket finish with a dunk or a sweet bank off the board. Watching these tournament games annoy me a bit because I see so many teams with a 6'-8-10 guy that can be a handful underneath. If either Guerrier or Goodwin can finish (even though they don't have the strength as of yet) this team will be in decent shape.

Steals on D and solidly run fast breaks would be a fantastic addition. Finish with layups/slams or 3's depending on who is on the break. Who of the young bucks will have that footspeed on D or great anticipation of the passing lanes? Will SU be able to rebound? Block shots? Stop bulky 4's and 5's? And most importantly...communicate on D?

Should be an interesting year.

A couple things I have learned over the years

If you can get optimistic about next year what is the point of being a fan

I haven't seen too many freshmen come in and play with the green light unless the roster allowed for the playing time or they were very good

Sometimes when you have a skilled player such as battle leave it allows someone to step up. In this case I hope it's a couple of players. When battle was out I really liked how we moved the ball. We have the players that can score on the roster.

A couple of unknown factors besides the freshman are, Sidibe and Washington. We will have to see how they are used moving forward. I personally would like to see Marek play PF more I think that only happens if we get good minutes out of the freshman c and sidibe

My unrealistic wish is that we bring fresh perspective in. I'm not saying change our defense but add some wrinkles in to catch teams off guard. I would really like to see a focus on ball movement on offense. I know JB know more about basketball blah blah and agree but sometimes when you do the same things you become complacent.

We have old pieces leaving and new coming in. The fun part is seeing how they fit. This year from a viewing perspective has been somewhat stale to watch our offense.

There is something to be said about kids being able to shoot long range nowadays that needs to be addressed. What the solution is I'm sure JB can firgure out, I just hope it something he looks at.

I'm sure the number guys can look at it but we face some of the best talent in the country due to the ACC.

This is by far my longest post here ever. Sorry it ended up longer than intended

Last edited:
The hope is the following:

A. That we execute better on offense without two liabilities (Howard & Chukwu) out there most of the time.

B. That we have at least a couple of freshmen who will be ready to play right away, most hopefully a point guard. JGIII being ready immediately would be a major boon.

C. That we see a healthy Sidibe and a Jalen Carey who is playing more loose than he did this year.

D. That we get a reasonable efficiency increase from Oshae, a reasonable scoring increase from Marek & more consistency from Hughes.

Now, I realize that’s about 10 “ifs”. I tend to think next year we build up into the 2020-2021 season, which I consider to likely be our next shot at a really great team.

I am not expecting much next year but hoping JB performs one of his miracles and gets his players to perform better than anticipated. No center. PG who, to put it mildly, was inconsistent this year and will probably be handed the keys next year. Other players (Brissett, Boeheim, and Hughes) who could look like all-ACC performers one game, or even one half, and then totally disappear the next. A lot of new players (including Braswell) who may turn out to be solid college players but might also turn out to be nothing. And our team defense, on which we relied heavily in recent years, was ineffective at crucial stages of games. Will it improve?

I probably wasn't as high on this year's team as many others but I expected a bid to the NCAA tournament and it happened. But the year was a disappointment in most of our opinions. Next year I don't expect to be in the tournament. I hope my early prediction turns out to be wrong.

Because overall Frank Howard was pretty bad.
Riiiighhhht. And if the next recruit coming in is Kaleb Joseph 2.0... Was he better then Frank Howard?

Nah the ACC is tough we can be a lot worse and it’s a real possibility.

I tend to think the freshman show up better than their recruting rankings and we have a good year. But we end up wishing we had a star like Battle to lift us to Duke/UNC level since both will be down. If he comes back we have a great year. If not we have a good non conference but slug out 10 wins in the ACC ugly. Which is okay I’m not acting like we suck when we are 6 or 7 in the ACC.
The ACC is obviously always tough... but having said that, a lot of teams are losing (or likely to lose) a lot of key players. Here's a quick summary of this year's top ACC teams and who they are likely to lose going into next year:

Duke will lose Zion, Barrett and probably both Reddish and Jones as early entries to the draft.

Carolina loses Luke Maye, Cam Johnson, Kenny Williams (all seniors) and then likely Coby White and Nassir Little as early draft entries.

Virginia loses De'Andre Hunter (lottery pick) and Jack Salt (senior). Does Ty Jerome leave early if (like Battle) he projects as a 2nd round pick? Or does he stick around with Kyle Guy to form an elite, senior backcourt. Probably depends on how far they advance this year I would imagine.

Florida State loses Terance Mann and Christ Koumadje (along with a couple of other role-player seniors). I wonder if their 6'-10" guy Kabengele gets any draft love. That dude killed us when we played them.

Virginia Tech loses Justin Robinson (senior) and I'm seeing Nickeil Alexander-Walker's name in 1st round mock drafts as an early entry. Do the Hokies have another guy on their roster who can make 9 3s against us?

A lot of teams are losing A LOT of production - something that needs to be factored into the equation of "how are we better?" talk. I don't think there will be three #1 seeds coming out of the ACC again... that should help us, I would think.

(And I know that a lot of these schools are re-loading with 5-star guys coming in right behind the guys that are leaving... but those guys don't always pan out right away, right?)

You are really under valuing Girard, he will be much better than most on here believe.

I REALLY REALLY hope so, but in the small number of games I watched him in, he is very tough to evaluate due to the poor competition he went up against.

Actually, I am not. Many are, due to the level of competition, and belief that he can shoot, but not handle or create for teammates against ACC defenders, and might not be quick enough to Be a lead guard. Tough kid, has decent size for a PG at 180 LBs — more physically mature than Carey or Goodine. Our PG spot is wide open — some upstate kids (Triche) have stepped in right away. He could surprise.

Actually, I am not. Many are, due to the level of competition, and belief that he can shoot, but not handle or create for teammates against ACC defenders, and might not be quick enough to Be a lead guard. Tough kid, has decent size for a PG at 180 LBs — more physically mature than Carey or Goodine. Our PG spot is wide open — some upstate kids (Triche) have stepped in right away. He could surprise.
I think JGIII is plenty quick for a D1 guard. Not elite quickness, but he’s definitely not slow.

Frank was slow. Ennis, while average quickness, played the game slow. Scoop was slightly below average in the quickness department. GMac was average. Z and Red were average at best. To be honest, our recent “quick” guards (Kaleb, Josh Wright, Carey TBD) haven’t faired too well.

We’ll never have another Sherm or Pearl. Those were our quick and elite point guards. My kingdom for a PG with that kind of talent.

The team showed in ACC tourney what it will look like without battle. They won 1 and hung tight with duke. Duke wasn’t rolling over either. The team seemed balanced. Carey seems to be able to score. If he can just learn how to hold onto the ball and get some court vision the team could Be great. If he penetrates and kicks to buddy and Hughes. The offense could be fun again.

I think JGIII is plenty quick for a D1 guard. Not elite quickness, but he’s definitely not slow.

Frank was slow. Ennis, while average quickness, played the game slow. Scoop was slightly below average in the quickness department. GMac was average. Z and Red were average at best. To be honest, our recent “quick” guards (Kaleb, Josh Wright, Carey TBD) haven’t faired too well.

We’ll never have another Sherm or Pearl. Those were our quick and elite point guards. My kingdom for a PG with that kind of talent.

I won’t say never. Flynn was also a quick and elite PG and he came 20 years after Sherm.

I won’t say never. Flynn was also a quick and elite PG and he came 20 years after Sherm.
Yes, forgot to include Flynn. Not quite up to Sherm and the Pearl’s level, but who is?

Yes, forgot to include Flynn. Not quite up to Sherm and the Pearl’s level, but who is?

Agreed.

Hart was another good one with the top notch speed and quickness(though I think his speed was ahead of his quickness), but he wasn’t nearly as good offensively as those 3.

Carey has some similarities to Hart IMO.

Agreed.

Hart was another good one with the top notch speed and quickness(though I think his speed was ahead of his quickness), but he wasn’t nearly as good offensively as those 3.

Carey has some similarities to Hart IMO.
Carey actually plays too fast. He needs to slow it down a bit and realize he doesn’t need to be going full speed at all times. Once he figures that out the entire game will start to slow down for him and he will be impactful.

He’s moving fast and the game’s moving fast for him. That combination doesn’t mix very well.

We will be fine. Beat the dregs of the ACC. Hold serve better at home. Add some smarts. ACC elite we won't be, but this league still provides winnable games.

Riiiighhhht. And if the next recruit coming in is Kaleb Joseph 2.0... Was he better then Frank Howard?
One never can tell about the unknown future, but I do know Frank was one of the worst we have had since I have been a fan and that was when Bing and Boeheim were the backcourt. Attitude usually sucked, not really a team guy, not a great handle, basically had one fair to midling year. He was never a good much less great PG.
Therefore the potential for someone better at the point is relatively high in many peoples opinion. We shall see.

Guerrier will be our best recruit in 5 years. Book it!

So cryptic!

Our best recruit that we've had step on campus in the last 5 years (2014-2019)

Our best recruit in this class when we look back 5 years from now? (2024)

Our best recruit five years from now due to eligibility issues when he's like 23 years old?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom