Points left behind | Syracusefan.com

Points left behind

HRE Otto IV

All American
We should have scored 18 more points. Had the score been 41-30 everyone would be content. That is probably talent wise what the score should have been.

1st goal at 4 settled for three. 4 points lost
3rd and 1 at 8 turned over on downs. 7 lost points.
1st and goal at 4 settled for FG. 4 points lost.
4th and 1 at 22 missed a FG instead of going for it. At least 3 points lost.

I thought the game plan was crap. As was the play calling. But even with the poor coaching, we still should have won this one.

We should have scored 18 more points. Had the score been 41-30 everyone would be content. That is probably talent wise what the score should have been.

I thought the game plan was crap. As was the play calling. But even with the poor coaching, we still should have won this one.

Yep. This game was way, way closer than the reaction it got from the board.

Yep. This game was way, way closer than the reaction it got from the board.
According to Vegas, recruiting rankings, and coaching ability Dino Vs SS, this game was never supposed to be close. That would have been concerning enough, the fact that we lost at home is really just inexcusable on any level. They haven't had a recruiting class ranked higher than 80 like ever.

According to Vegas, recruiting rankings, and coaching ability Dino Vs SS, this game was never supposed to be close. That would have been concerning enough, the fact that we lost at home is really just inexcusable on any level. They haven't had a recruiting class ranked higher than 80 like ever.

You keep reading what I'm saying as if I didn't think it was a crappy loss vs a team we shouldn't lose to. It was a bad loss. It was a sucky performance vs a team we should beat. BUT - they are not quite as bad as ppl are saying and we didn't play as bad as ppl are saying (Dungey sucks, Babers is Grob, etc.)...

Learn to see both the positives and the negatives as a whole. Clear eyes, man.

Yes -- should have won the game; and you can add a couple of bad turn-overs to the list (interception on a weak throw; muffed punt).

So, making plays at critical times or not (as SU did), and making TD strikes as MTSU did, is the usual difference between games won & lost. Can always find 4 or so plays that could have/would have ...

That first one was after the Thomas INT. Was a maddening series, both in and out of our control.

1st down - Strickland up the middle. Either DE or OLB crashes the middle and makes the tackle.
2nd down. SAME THING. SAME DEFENDER.
3rd down. Throw a pass to a covered Ishmael that you're expecting him to jump and catch. But he can't jump because there's a defender holding his jersey. No call. Throw might have been too high anyway.

Playcalling on that series bothered me more than refs, but refs bothered me too. That gets called consistently. It wasn't just two guys fighting for the football.

Yes -- should have won the game; and you can add a couple of bad turn-overs to the list (interception on a weak throw; muffed punt).

So, making plays at critical times or not (as SU did), and making TD strikes as MTSU did, is the usual difference between games won & lost. Can always find 4 or so plays that could have/would have ...

I think that's one of the reasons this game brought up so many old memories. We were pretty good in the red zone last year. Those lost points were unusual in the Babers era (not missed FG, those are pretty standard unfortunately)

Also, didn't we recover that lateral early in the game and whomever recovered it in turn fumbled it (with nothing but green in front of him) and then jumped on it. Should've been 6 and I don't believe we scored on the drive.

Also, didn't we recover that lateral early in the game and whomever recovered it in turn fumbled it (with nothing but green in front of him) and then jumped on it. Should've been 6 and I don't believe we scored on the drive.

Yeah, that should have been a TD. Berry's eyes got too big. MTSU stopped on the play, would have been a simple 6. Berry knew it too, based on his reaction. We ended up going 3 and out on the ensuing series.

So you're telling me that if we had won 41-30 instead of losing 30-23, the mood on this board would be different?

IMG_1086.GIF

IMO, MTSU also left at least 14 points on the field. They had 2 instances where their WR had 3 steps on our DB. One was overthrown by a foot or 2. The other was a perfect throw but their WR simply tripped over the "turf monster" & fell over. They also fumbled inside our on our 14 yd line in the 1Q, so that's at least another 3 points.

That first one was after the Thomas INT. Was a maddening series, both in and out of our control.

1st down - Strickland up the middle. Either DE or OLB crashes the middle and makes the tackle.
2nd down. SAME THING. SAME DEFENDER.
3rd down. Throw a pass to a covered Ishmael that you're expecting him to jump and catch. But he can't jump because there's a defender holding his jersey. No call. Throw might have been too high anyway.

Playcalling on that series bothered me more than refs, but refs bothered me too. That gets called consistently. It wasn't just two guys fighting for the football.
I'm glad someone else is talking about the officiating. Make no mistake, we got outplayed and our secondary looked as bad as our running game. However, the officiating was horrible. My seats are about the 20 yard line (visitors side). And while MTS was down there, I counted AT LEAST 3 offsides on them that weren't called. There was a blatant hold that wasn't called. There was pass interference that wasn't called.

The only saving grace was that the officials finally starting calling both teams for infractions in the second half.

Bottom line is in the 2nd quarter we had a chance to pull away and really take the wind out of them and we did not. We can move the ball but our run game is rough and our receivers are not making difficult catches we need to move the chains and keep momentum moving. We are missing a consistent pass catcher (AET)

I missed the entire 1st Q because, as others mentioned too, I couldn't pick up the stream. When I finally got the stream, it was 9-3 MTS. Also, they showed that MTS had 3 turnovers. Now, you mention those missed opportunities, but were those to's just simple giveaways/handouts by MTS or did SU actually force or cause them? Again, I missed the 1st Q, so I'm asking? If they were just mostly MTS miscues or blunders, then that kind of paints a different picture, imo. Not to mention, the flip side of the argument you make is that MTS didn't just lie down, and mitigated their losses by playing solid D. No?

I missed the entire 1st Q because, as others mentioned too, I couldn't pick up the stream. When I finally got the stream, it was 9-3 MTS. Also, they showed that MTS had 3 turnovers. Now, you mention those turnovers, but were those to's just simple giveaways/handouts by MTS or did SU actually force or cause them? Again, I missed the 1st Q, so I'm asking? If they were just mostly MTS miscues or blunders, then that kind of paints a different picture, imo. Not to mention, the flip side of the argument you make is that MTS didn't just lie down, and mitigated their losses by playing solid D. No?

IMO they were all forced TOs that were made by good plays. Unlike our two which were unlucky.

I missed the entire 1st Q because, as others mentioned too, I couldn't pick up the stream. When I finally got the stream, it was 9-3 MTS. Also, they showed that MTS had 3 turnovers. Now, you mention those missed opportunities, but were those to's just simple giveaways/handouts by MTS or did SU actually force or cause them? Again, I missed the 1st Q, so I'm asking? If they were just mostly MTS miscues or blunders, then that kind of paints a different picture, imo. Not to mention, the flip side of the argument you make is that MTS didn't just lie down, and mitigated their losses by playing solid D. No?

We forced a fumble and recovered it.

We brought pressure and had a nice pick.

We forced an early pitch on an option that ended up being backwards (helped visually by Slayton batting it further backwards).

We forced a fumble and recovered it.

We brought pressure and had a nice pick.

We forced an early pitch on an option that ended up being backwards (helped visually by Slayton batting it further backwards).

Yep - we had a muffed punt on a fair catch. That's on him/us.

But the pick? Dungey thought they jumped (they did) and he had a free play so he took a chance (what he is taught to do I think). The CUSA refs sucked.

Yep - we had a muffed punt on a fair catch. That's on him/us.

But the pick? Dungey thought they jumped (they did) and he had a free play so he took a chance (what he is taught to do I think). The CUSA refs sucked.

Unbelievable that it was missed by the refs. But to be safe, I wish Dungey hadn't thrown middle of the field to Erv, and went outside and deeper to Butler. I think that had a chance for a TD. And less chance for a pick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom