Polio in the 50's | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Polio in the 50's

My dad had polio, suffered tremendously, it's really reducing his quality of life now in his eighties, and ignorant family members are still alarmingly cavalier about covid.

with no sports, i don't see much point in being part of normal society, i just want to go into the woods and try to live off berries like that idiot kid in the movie who died in a van because he didn't know what he was doing. but for some reason my wife prefers to live in society so here i am

What's generally not known about polio is the echo effect. Later in life some of the paralysis returns, or it's debilitating effects increase. My father's polio devolved into a form of Parkinson's. The end was brutal.
Blessings to your father and to you and your family. Few people today have a clue about what he has had to endure. As the son of a man who had polio and the father of a son on the autistic spectrum all I can say is get your children vaccinated.

Last edited:
A little history of the fight to end polio on the world. I am a member of the Jamestown , NY Rotary Club and Rotary's fight to end polio started in 1988. I remember our club members reached in their back pockets and gave over $60,000 that year. Just think about COVID-19 and it should tell us all if we do not win this struggle it will be back here in the USA. A little bit more below. The Bill Gates Foundation matches what Rotary and others give!!! Five other childhood disease vaccines are included into the one dose by mouth.

Rotary has been working to eradicate polio for more than 30 years. Our goal of ridding the world of this disease is closer than ever.

As a founding partner of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative, we've reduced polio cases by 99.9 percent since our first project to vaccinate children in the Philippines in 1979.

We've helped immunize more than 2.5 billion children in 122 countries. So far, Rotary has contributed more than $1.8 billion toward eradicating the disease worldwide.

Today, polio remains endemic only in Afghanistan, Nigeria, and Pakistan. But it’s crucial to continue working to keep other countries polio-free. If all eradication efforts stopped today, within 10 years, polio could paralyze as many as 200,000 children each year.
Well done

Probably was a JITB. I had an In-and-Out in Vegas years ago, that was really good.

My dad contracted polio in 1929 when swimming in a public pool. He lost the use of his legs and spent the rest of his life on crutches and braces. He was one of the children in Warm Springs, Georgia, who was inspired by FDR and benefited from his generosity. FDR spent every Thanksgiving in Warm Springs and one child with polio sat next to him for Thanksgiving dinner, and my dad was that kid in 1932. I'm about 90% sure this is a picture of dad. The part in his hair never changed.
Wonderful story about your Dad sitting next to FDR. Thanks for sharing

What's generally not known about polio is the echo effect. Later in life some of the paralysis returns, or it's debilitating effects increase. My father's polio devolved into a form of Parkinson's. The end was brutal.
Blessings to your father and to you and your family. Few people today have a clue about what he has had to endure. As the son of a man who had polio and the father of a son on the autistic spectrum all I can say is get your children vaccinated.
I fundamentally don’t understand anti-vaxxers.

Jack in the Box is mediocre and when I lived in Cali it was usually a choice of last resort.

In-N-Out I'll fight you over your insult

Seriously, In-N-Out you need to insert your own input via secret menu

I like the Double Animal Style, reminds me of an old Carroll's Club Burger.

One day I'll try the animal fries too

Just Google In-N-Out secret menu for more ideas.

what about Big Kahuna Burger? I hear it is one tasty burger

I feel oppressed because of a debilatating almond/walnut allergy that makes my ears slightly itchy if someone sneaks that crap into a cookie. So I know what it's like for people with polio

Comparing in-n-out to jack in the box is like comparing Georgetown to Syracuse. One represents all that is good in this world. The other still sucks.
All this In-N-Out talk inspired me yesterday afternoon to head to Seaside a half hour away for a double double with cheese.

All this In-N-Out talk inspired me yesterday afternoon to head to Seaside a half hour away for a double double with cheese.
And? You can't leave us hanging like this. Even if the nearest In-N-Out to me is probably more than 1000 miles away.

I checked. Looks like Texas is as close as it gets. Nothing east of the Mighty Mississippi.

Last edited:
I just watching the Ken Burns series on FDR that aired on PBS. There was a lot of time and information in the series about Warm Springs. FDR was a warrior in the fight against polio (and the depression).

My dad had polio, suffered tremendously, it's really reducing his quality of life now in his eighties, and ignorant family members are still alarmingly cavalier about covid.

with no sports, i don't see much point in being part of normal society, i just want to go into the woods and try to live off berries like that idiot kid in the movie who died in a van because he didn't know what he was doing. but for some reason my wife prefers to live in society so here i am
Into the Wild. Great film.

I wonder if Arthur Digby Sellers is in one of those.
He wrote the television show Branded and was an inspiration to Walter Sobchak. His son Larry is a dunce who stole Jeff “the Dude“ Lebowski’s car...

Sellers doesn’t write anymore he has health problems
Also, he resides in North Hollywood on Radford near the In-N-Out Burger. Those are good burgers.

Shut the %*&$ up Donny! Some burgers, some beers... a few laughs... our fing troubles are over dude.

This is great, great humor by the way. Not that this thread should be "humorous", but in today's age we take what we can get, and the big lebowski is in my top 3 favorite movies of all time.

Last edited:
And? You can't leave us hanging like this. Even if the nearest In-N-Out to me is probably more than 1000 miles away.

I checked. Looks like Texas is as close as it gets. Nothing east of the Mighty Mississippi.

Hmmm...you're right, my bad. The new Seaside location, near Monterey, is only a half hour away from me so I'm figuring a few extra lbs are in my immediate future. In many ways, In-N-Out is the quintessential California drive up. The drive up line was predictably long but moved along nicely. Instead of speaking into one of those misfiring speakers to order, you actually talk to a person as you drive along, all masked and 5-6 ft away, who takes your order on a tablet. Then, maybe 30 feet along, you meet another person, similarly garbed and equipped who confirms your order just in case you might want to make any additions or subtractions. Next is the payment window, now done completely without contact, a necessary evil. In 30 more tempting feet, you arrive at the pick up window at precisely the moment your burger has come off the grill. The timing is impeccable. As for the burgers, In-N-Out is one of those things that you have to experience to understand. They're the perfect combination of ingredients and flavor. First, the buns are superb, light and pillowy but not crumbly or squishy and none of that stupid sesame stuff on them. Me, myself, I'm a double double with cheese guy. The burgers are just the right combination (two patties, two perfectly melted cheddar cheese slices) that fit exactly right with the buns. You have the feeling that they were custom made for you. No grease, no sludge, all fresh flavor that somehow, someway stays on your palate. It's perfection in its simplicity. No chicken, fish, nuggets, salads or any other jive, just perfectly made burgers. Think of it this way...if you're debating whether to be with your significant other in a special way or heading to In-N-Out, it's a clear cut choice you'll be in your car in seconds. It's worth the Texas road trip Tom. I should mention that the fries are just meh but who needs fries anyway?

Hmmm...you're right, my bad. The new Seaside location, near Monterey, is only a half hour away from me so I'm figuring a few extra lbs are in my immediate future. In many ways, In-N-Out is the quintessential California drive up. The drive up line was predictably long but moved along nicely. Instead of speaking into one of those misfiring speakers to order, you actually talk to a person as you drive along, all masked and 5-6 ft away, who takes your order on a tablet. Then, maybe 30 feet along, you meet another person, similarly garbed and equipped who confirms your order just in case you might want to make any additions or subtractions. Next is the payment window, now done completely without contact, a necessary evil. In 30 more tempting feet, you arrive at the pick up window at precisely the moment your burger has come off the grill. The timing is impeccable. As for the burgers, In-N-Out is one of those things that you have to experience to understand. They're the perfect combination of ingredients and flavor. First, the buns are superb, light and pillowy but not crumbly or squishy and none of that stupid sesame stuff on them. Me, myself, I'm a double double with cheese guy. The burgers are just the right combination (two patties, two perfectly melted cheddar cheese slices) that fit exactly right with the buns. You have the feeling that they were custom made for you. No grease, no sludge, all fresh flavor that somehow, someway stays on your palate. It's perfection in its simplicity. No chicken, fish, nuggets, salads or any other jive, just perfectly made burgers. Think of it this way...if you're debating whether to be with your significant other in a special way or heading to In-N-Out, it's a clear cut choice you'll be in your car in seconds. It's worth the Texas road trip Tom. I should mention that the fries are just meh but who needs fries anyway?
Thank you. Sounds great. I wonder if they had the Texas locations when I was there for the bowl game in 2013? A trip here is now on my food bucket list. ;)

Thank you. Sounds great. I wonder if they had the Texas locations when I was there for the bowl game in 2013? A trip here is now on my food bucket list. ;)
They've been in Texas since December 2013. Had you known, you could have been one of east coast's In-N-Out pioneers and experienced first hand burger nirvana. According to their website, there are 21 locations in the Austin and Dallas Ft Worth area.

yes i did class of 67. where did you go?
Sacred Heart but I lived in Tipp Hill and a lot of my friends went to St Pats. Same year I’m sure we know some of same people. Moved to Fairmount in 63

Sacred Heart but I lived in Tipp Hill and a lot of my friends went to St Pats. Same year I’m sure we know some of same people. Moved to Fairmount in 63
tom sakowski was my next door neighbor--great guy

tom sakowski was my next door neighbor--great guy
Big kid I think he was one year behind me. My parents when I was young had an apartment above the Blarney Sone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom