Polls for Feb 26: Media #7 / Coaches #7 / USALAX #9 | Syracusefan.com

Polls for Feb 26: Media #7 / Coaches #7 / USALAX #9

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
65dc8a8cf1bb4.jpg

The Blue Devils, who got 16 first-place votes, have stacked four one-sided victories and a goal-differential of plus-45. Virginia (9 first-place votes) and Maryland (1) follow and both have faced tougher early-season tests. The Cavaliers beat Ohio State on Sunday, while the Terps earned a decisive victory against Princeton on Saturday.

Denver is at No. 4 after upending Cornell, and Army shifts up into the Top 5.

The Hoyas (19 to 11) and Penn (receiving votes to 17) are big risers, and Harvard enters the poll at No. 20.

Check out the full men’s DI Media Poll here.

RankTeamPointsPrev
1Duke (4 - 0)508 (16)2
2Virginia(3 - 0)500 (9)3
3Maryland (4 - 0)469 (1)4
4Denver (4 - 0)4265
5Army (3 - 0)3887
6Notre Dame (2 - 1)3741
7Syracuse (4 - 1)3666

Last week we had 368 points.

USA LACROSSE DIVISION I MEN'S TOP 20​

1. Duke, 4-0 (Prev: 2)
2. Virginia, 3-0 (Prev: 3)
3. Maryland, 4-0 (Prev: 4)
4. Notre Dame, 2-1 (Prev: 1)
5. Denver, 4-0 (Prev: 7)
6. Army, 3-0 (Prev: 6)
7. Cornell, 1-1 (Prev: 5)
8. Johns Hopkins, 4-1 (Prev: 8)
9. Syracuse, 4-1 (Prev: 9)
10. Yale, 2-0 (Prev: 10)
11. Penn State, 3-1 (Prev: 11)
12. Georgetown, 2-2 (Prev: NR)
13. Michigan, 3-1 (Prev: 13)
14. Princeton, 2-1 (Prev: 12)
15. Rutgers, 3-1 (Prev: 18)
16. Penn, 2-1 (Prev: NR)
17. Delaware, 2-1 (Prev: 14)
18. Harvard, 3-0 (Prev: 17)
19. Richmond, 2-2 (Prev: 20)
20. North Carolina, 2-1 (Prev: 15)

Also considered (alphabetical order): Boston U (3-1), High Point (4-1), Ohio State (4-1), Quinnipiac (3-0), Towson (3-1), UMass (3-1)

GHRORx1XUAA4JgI

5) Syracuse
Otto was back in action on Wednesday in a home matinee hosting Utah. Felt a subtle first quarter malaise following the Maryland loss but the Orange took care of business 18-7. Joey Spallina owned the fourth quarter (3G, 4A) four days after going (1,2) against Maryland. Finn Thomson (3G, 1A), and Christian Mulè (2G, 2A) led the offense. Thomson magically pulling off a hidden ball truck. Get off your damn cell phone and start paying attention. FOGO Mason Kohn went 14-18 FO and added a goal and an assist. SSDM Jake Spallina scored his first career goal.

It’s going to be interesting to see how the SU attack, a highly skilled trio lacking elite speed, matches up with ND, Duke, UVA and JHU, who may be hesitant to slide to their poles. I’m confident SU will score. The long-term question marks for me is their young SSDM group and roster spots 14-20. That’s where big games are won and lost.

#HHH (4-1) welcomes Army to the Dome on Wednesday at 6pm, a superb matchup and one that should garner a lot of eyeballs. SU must show progress. With a week to prepare after the Utah game, I expect a seasonal best from the Orange.

GHRORx1XUAA4JgI

5) Syracuse
Otto was back in action on Wednesday in a home matinee hosting Utah. Felt a subtle first quarter malaise following the Maryland loss but the Orange took care of business 18-7. Joey Spallina owned the fourth quarter (3G, 4A) four days after going (1,2) against Maryland. Finn Thomson (3G, 1A), and Christian Mulè (2G, 2A) led the offense. Thomson magically pulling off a hidden ball truck. Get off your damn cell phone and start paying attention. FOGO Mason Kohn went 14-18 FO and added a goal and an assist. SSDM Jake Spallina scored his first career goal.

It’s going to be interesting to see how the SU attack, a highly skilled trio lacking elite speed, matches up with ND, Duke, UVA and JHU, who may be hesitant to slide to their poles. I’m confident SU will score. The long-term question marks for me is their young SSDM group and roster spots 14-20. That’s where big games are won and lost.

#HHH (4-1) welcomes Army to the Dome on Wednesday at 6pm, a superb matchup and one that should garner a lot of eyeballs. SU must show progress. With a week to prepare after the Utah game, I expect a seasonal best from the Orange.

Quint makes a godo point about the lack of speed on the SU attack line and roster spots 14-20. Powellfan made a point that the SU backups especially offensively have not looked good in albeit limited minutes.

Last edited:
Quint makes a godo point about the lack of speed on the SU attack line and roster spots 24-20. Powellfan made a point that the SU backups especially offensively have not looked good in albeit limited minutes.
Syracuse plays 2 legit midfield lines that can score goals. What teams are rolling out a third line that's productive? The attack does lack elite speed and has to make up for it with ball movement and timely cuts. Unless there are significant injuries, I'm not worried about roster spots 14-20. I feel the ssdm group has been getting better and I like the progress Levine and Jake Spallina have made.

Syracuse plays 2 legit midfield lines that can score goals. What teams are rolling out a third line that's productive? The attack does lack elite speed and has to make up for it with ball movement and timely cuts. Unless there are significant injuries, I'm not worried about roster spots 14-20. I feel the ssdm group has been getting better and I like the progress Levine and Jake Spallina have made.

I think Quint's #'s are slightly off. 14-20 is in real good shape. I'd argue 20+ where things get dicey. The true backups who have seen time, specifically on Offense haven't show much albeit again in limited minutes. Most teams deep 2nd and 3rd string aren't going to be AA's but I think as Powellfan pointed out you'd like to see a little more production or talent apparent.

I think Quint's #'s are slightly off. 14-20 is in real good shape. I'd argue 20+ where things get dicey. The true backups who have seen time, specifically on Offense haven't show much albeit again in limited minutes. Most teams deep 2nd and 3rd string aren't going to be AA's but I think as Powellfan pointed out you'd like to see a little more production or talent apparent.
I agree with the observation, but not how important it is at this point in the season. If you look at who scored for Virginia and Notre Dame(in their respective games) yesterday, it was mostly the "knowns". Colsey had 2 for Virginia and a reserve middie added one. Almost all production comes from the top 6 to 9 and usually the top 6.

I think the attack lines lack of dodging ability is over-exaggerated. Hiltz is still a strong dodger. He would be looking like Michael Leo does this season if any team made the ill advised decision to put a short stick on him. Leo has scored literally all his goals against short stick match ups, while Hiltz has had a teams second best long pole locked on him all season. We did not need him to dodge against MD with all the looks against their short sticks. Think that skews people into thinking he is weaker in that area than he is.

The area that has disappointed from him this season is his shooting. Was an issue last season too. Not sure what has changed for him there since he was a freshman, but he has been seriously lacking in his shooting mojo recently. When he is on there he looks like one of the best shooters in the country, so I would still give him time to work through it. I could pull up several clips of him working quality defenders last season. ND game last year he was beating his long pole match up regularly, but could not bury any of his open shots off the dodge (finished 2-9). Had plenty of great assists that started with the ball in his stick. Still does so much for the offense with his skip passes.

For me the biggest question mark on the attack right now is Mule. His best skill is his feeding ability, but with two elite feeders out there already in Hiltz and Spallina is that what we really need from him? He has had a couple looks dodging against short sticks for weaker opponents this season and has not really impressed me. He has also not shown a lot as a super reliable inside finisher or shooter from mid-range. Has definitely whiffed a few times on inside finishes. Could a guy like Deere Birtwistle or Elijah Brown fit the bill a little better for that third attack spot? If we felt the need to experiment that would be the first thing I try. If we need to get a little more radical I would maybe try Leo for Mule.

I agree with the observation, but not how important it is at this point in the season. If you look at who scored for Virginia and Notre Dame(in their respective games) yesterday, it was mostly the "knowns". Colsey had 2 for Virginia and a reserve middie added one. Almost all production comes from the top 6 to 9 and usually the top 6.

Barring multiple major injuries its not important at all. Next year and beyond though it could potentially be very important. Gonna be at least 3 sports open in top 9 O spots next year and youd like to have some in house options to compete with the incoming frosh and any potential portal adds. I don't think in the grand scheme its's anything to be overly concerned about but I do think SU has a bit of a bloated roster and I think getting some more quality depth is important. I think that's why SU added guys like Schmitt, Titus and the other D3 guys. They aren't seeing much time beyond Titus but gives the staff options if injuries prop up that the current roster didn't have.

I think the attack lines lack of dodging ability is over-exaggerated. Hiltz is still a strong dodger. He would be looking like Michael Leo does this season if any team made the ill advised decision to put a short stick on him. Leo has scored literally all his goals against short stick match ups, while Hiltz has had a teams second best long pole locked on him all season. We did not need him to dodge against MD with all the looks against their short sticks. Think that skews people into thinking he is weaker in that area than he is.

The area that has disappointed from him this season is his shooting. Was an issue last season too. Not sure what has changed for him there since he was a freshman, but he has been seriously lacking in his shooting mojo recently. When he is on there he looks like one of the best shooters in the country, so I would still give him time to work through it. I could pull up several clips of him working quality defenders last season. ND game last year he was beating his long pole match up regularly, but could not bury any of his open shots off the dodge (finished 2-9). Had plenty of great assists that started with the ball in his stick. Still does so much for the offense with his skip passes.

For me the biggest question mark on the attack right now is Mule. His best skill is his feeding ability, but with two elite feeders out there already in Hiltz and Spallina is that what we really need from him? He has had a couple looks dodging against short sticks for weaker opponents this season and has not really impressed me. He has also not shown a lot as a super reliable inside finisher or shooter from mid-range. Has definitely whiffed a few times on inside finishes. Could a guy like Deere Birtwistle or Elijah Brown fit the bill a little better for that third attack spot? If we felt the need to experiment that would be the first thing I try. If we need to get a little more radical I would maybe try Leo for Mule.
I wouldn't move Leo until teams take a shorty off of him. He's abusing shortys right now at midfield so keep him where he is. Birtwhistle is a finisher I love his game I would move him to attack.

Barring multiple major injuries its not important at all. Next year and beyond though it could potentially be very important. Gonna be at least 3 sports open in top 9 O spots next year and youd like to have some in house options to compete with the incoming frosh and any potential portal adds. I don't think in the grand scheme its's anything to be overly concerned about but I do think SU has a bit of a bloated roster and I think getting some more quality depth is important. I think that's why SU added guys like Schmitt, Titus and the other D3 guys. They aren't seeing much time beyond Titus but gives the staff options if injuries prop up that the current roster didn't have.

Yes, my comment was more about the future. Usually at the end of blowout games you can pick up on one or two players, and say "he's one for next year". Jacob Buttermore comes to mind when he had a hat-trick against Colgate as a freshman. I just haven't seen it yet from any of the youngsters this year. We didn't really see it last year, and had to pull in some transfers to make sure the top nine was strong. It's not really a pressing issue right now, but I can't help but think about the future sometimes.

Payton Anderson comes in as a highly ranked recruit who will probably find his way into the starting lineup next year. Deere, Hottle or Kellogg could make huge strides in the offseason. Barring injuries or surprise transfers out though, the team will have a really strong core of players next year, especially if Hiltz comes back for a fifth year.

I think the depth of this team, especially in the midfield is strong. They have six guys who all could easily be first liners and no one would bat an eyelash. Team speed is a bit of an issue, but I always liked the expression, "the ball moves faster through the air than it does on the ground." I think with the way the team moves the ball with their passing, negates any speed issues.

I wouldn't move Leo until teams take a shorty off of him. He's abusing shortys right now at midfield so keep him where he is. Birtwhistle is a finisher I love his game I would move him to attack.
Birtwistle has the experience and great chemistry with Hiltz and Spallina. Dont think we have enough evidence to take Mule out of the attack lineup right now, but maybe something to keep an eye on.

Syracuse is actually #8 in the USILA coaches poll.
Cornell dropped down to #10, but Hopkins jumped over Syracuse - perhaps due to Hopkins' win over Georgetown looking more significant.

2024 DIVISION I - WEEK 4 (FEB. 26)

1 Duke (19) 4-0 513
2 Virginia (7) 3-0 499
3 Maryland 4-0 465
4 Denver 4-0 420
5 Army 3-0 394
6 Notre Dame 2-1 362
7 Johns Hopkins 4-1 358
8 Syracuse 4-1 352
9 Yale 2-0 300
10 Cornell 1-1 284

Yes, my comment was more about the future. Usually at the end of blowout games you can pick up on one or two players, and say "he's one for next year". Jacob Buttermore comes to mind when he had a hat-trick against Colgate as a freshman. I just haven't seen it yet from any of the youngsters this year. We didn't really see it last year, and had to pull in some transfers to make sure the top nine was strong. It's not really a pressing issue right now, but I can't help but think about the future sometimes.

You might be overthinking this. Our best attackman, dodging midfielder, passing midfielder, shooting midfielder, and top two close defenders are all sophomores. So, they are all "one for next year," and one for the year after too.

You might be overthinking this. Our best attackman, dodging midfielder, passing midfielder, shooting midfielder, and top two close defenders are all sophomores. So, they are all "one for next year," and one for the year after too.

No sorry, that was not my point. I guess I am not explaining myself well. This has nothing to do with the current starters. I am merely looking at the bench, guys not currently contributing in a meaningful way right now, and trying to see who could contribute next year based on their actions on the field in limited playing time, this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom