Polls for Mar 18: Media #6 / Coaches #5 / USALAX #9 | Syracusefan.com

Polls for Mar 18: Media #6 / Coaches #5 / USALAX #9

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
65f83233e59a6.jpg

Penn State is back in the Top 5 of the Inside Lacrosse Media Poll.

After a season-opening loss, the Nittany Lions have been on a tear with six-straight victories, including high-profile wins against the Ivy League’s Yale and Cornell.

The Nittany Lions have the No. 2 RPI behind Yale.

Army is still undefeated and No. 1. The Black Knights' 7-0 start is now the best since 1958, when Army earned the national title outright. Notre Dame received three first-place votes after a one-sided win against Michigan, and Virginia is ranked No. 3 after beating Maryland. Duke put the clamps on Richmond and stays at No. 4.

The Blue Devils have the premier game of the week when they travel to No. 6 Syracuse on Wednesday night.

Johns Hopkins fell outside the Top 10 following its loss to Navy.

Check out the full Men's DI Media Poll here.

RankTeamPointsPrev
1Army (7 - 0)429 (17)1
2Notre Dame (5 - 1)415 (3)2
3Virginia (6 - 1)399 (2)3
4Duke (8 - 1)3804
5Penn State (6 - 1)3229
6Syracuse (7 - 2)3166

Last edited:

USA LACROSSE DIVISION I MEN’S TOP 20​

1. Notre Dame, 5-1 (Prev: 1)
2. Army, 7-0 (Prev: 2)
3. Duke, 8-1 (Prev: 3)
4. Penn State, 6-1 (Prev: 4)
5. Virginia, 6-1 (Prev: 7)
6. Denver, 6-1 (Prev: 5)
7. Yale, 4-1 (Prev: 8)
8. Maryland, 5-2 (Prev: 9)
9. Syracuse, 7-2 (Prev: 10)
10. Johns Hopkins, 5-3 (Prev: 6)
11. Georgetown, 4-2 (Prev: 11)
12. Penn, 5-2 (Prev: 12)
13. Cornell, 4-2 (Prev: 15)
14. Harvard, 6-1 (Prev: 14)
15. North Carolina, 6-2 (Prev: 19)
16. Richmond, 5-3 (Prev: 16)
17. Princeton, 4-3 (Prev: 13)
18. Rutgers, 6-2 (Prev: 20)
19. Michigan, 5-3 (Prev: 17)
20. Navy, 4-3 (Prev: NR)

Also considered (alphabetical order): Boston University (5-2), Colgate (6-3), Delaware (3-3), Ohio State (5-4), Quinnipiac (6-0), Towson (5-3)

GI87nFcWgAA4IdZ

7) Syracuse​

Otto finished up spring break with a 14-6 win over Delaware as Owen Hiltz scored six times. Joey Spallina had four assists. D-Man Saam Alexo had two points and goalie Will Mark, who seems to prefer road games, made 17 saves. His counter part Blue Hen Kenny Ellington made an incredible diving save on an open net during a Syracuse man-up flurry and had 20 saves.

Wednesday night promises to be electric in the dome as Duke comes to Central New York. Then #HHH are at Hobart on Saturday, keep your head on a swivel for flying fish.

Looks like people are trying to keep the Big 10 relevant this season. Maryland is a smidge away from having 5 losses already and Penn State hasn't really played a top 5 schedule with a loss to Colgate.

Looks like people are trying to keep the Big 10 relevant this season. Maryland is a smidge away from having 5 losses already and Penn State hasn't really played a top 5 schedule with a loss to Colgate.
PSU losing to Colgate is puzzling, but strange things early on all over.

Cuse comes away with win this weds will def shut up some doubters. Clearly be another solid win to add to cuse resume which need. But it’s duke can’t stand this team more then anything i ever hated. So want a win just cause it’s duke lo

It's funny how perception can influence opinions. 15-20 years ago with overtime losses to Maryland and Army people would have no problem saying SU is a top 5 team. But because of how the team has looked the past 5-10 years, there are some questioning if they belong in the top 10.

Obviously the answer is just keep winning, and hopefully avoid the blowouts that have happened over the past 5 years.

It's funny how perception can influence opinions. 15-20 years ago with overtime losses to Maryland and Army people would have no problem saying SU is a top 5 team. But because of how the team has looked the past 5-10 years, there are some questioning if they belong in the top 10.

Obviously the answer is just keep winning, and hopefully avoid the blowouts that have happened over the past 5 years.
You’re not wrong at all. But part of the hesitation to declare them all the way back probably has to do with the inconsistent way the defense has played. They’ve bent a lot, which leads some, I’m sure, to assume they’ll eventually break.

6. Syracuse
Kinnear’s Vote: 7
I covered the Orange the past two weeks, both at neutral sites. The game against Johns Hopkins did really feel like a monkey off the Orange’s back; that game was emotional and tense and postgame felt cathartic. From that final whistle through their one-sided win against Delaware, it’s been a confident group that just feels loose. When your legendary head coach is signing autographs and exudes a cool confidence, you’re not going to be worried about anything.

I’m not a Syracuse historian, but to me that’s what the aura of the Orange is all about: It’s not an in-your-face, bombastic confidence, but quiet mystique and attitude.

They beat Johns Hopkins at the Crown Lacrosse Classic, then went to the beaches of Carolina, then the defense clamped down on Delaware on the way home at the Corrigan Sports’ College Lacrosse Live series. No team should allow Owen Hiltz to get to his spots. The defensive effort was impressive, particularly the last three quarters after Will Mark carried it early.

Joey Spallina showed some grit when he was hit high and late, had to come out for a bit, then came back to orchestrate the O.

Duke on Wednesday night looms large.

One note that I made in one of my Syracuse game stories: How close are we to having an undefeated Syracuse through mid-March? If a crease call goes a different way and a hurl from near half-field in OT is a few feet different, the entire narrative of the season is changed. It’s why you play the games, and there aren’t moral victories, but it’s that close.

6. Syracuse
Kinnear’s Vote: 7
I covered the Orange the past two weeks, both at neutral sites. The game against Johns Hopkins did really feel like a monkey off the Orange’s back; that game was emotional and tense and postgame felt cathartic. From that final whistle through their one-sided win against Delaware, it’s been a confident group that just feels loose. When your legendary head coach is signing autographs and exudes a cool confidence, you’re not going to be worried about anything.

I’m not a Syracuse historian, but to me that’s what the aura of the Orange is all about: It’s not an in-your-face, bombastic confidence, but quiet mystique and attitude.

I guess one lacrosse pundit's "legendary coach ... [who] exudes a cool confidence," is a Syracusefan poster's disengaged coaching simp who only cares about selling sticks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom