Pomeroy ratings | Syracusefan.com

Pomeroy ratings

Knicks411

Living Legend
Are out. SU is #7, and first in the BE. Wisconsin is #5, so its probably safe to assume t hey are overrted and we're really #6. I think thats the highest ranking I've seen?

Discuss

Pomeroy ratings don't really get anywhere close to being accurate until March-ish. He relies entirely on data that takes a season to produce. His early season ratings are usually comic relief.

Pomeroy ratings don't really get anywhere close to being accurate until March-ish. He relies entirely on data that takes a season to produce. His early season ratings are usually comic relief.

I believe he changed the ratings system a little a few years ago to allow for pre-season projections. It takes the teams stats from last year and adjusts them for returning players, as well as freshmen. I'm obviously not saying they are perfect, but it's not like you frequently see wild swings in-season.

For instance, just looking at SU last year; our rating was between 4th and 7th all season long.

Are out. SU is #7, and first in the BE.
first in the ACC, too.

Basketball Prospectus released their rankings on Monday. They have Louisville 10 and Syracuse 11 and project both to go 13-5 in conference.

One of the things I will be curious to see this year is how West Virginia fares in the Big 12. Huggins was crowing about how tough the Big 12 must be if they are ranked so low. Going by the BP ratings, they are the 8th best team in the B12 . . . but going by the same rankings, they would be the 9th best team in the BE

but it's not like you frequently see wild swings in-season.

I dunno. Pretty sure that last year he had some obscure team ranked #1 for much of the non-conference schedule which wound up not even making the tourney. So much of his algorithm relies on performance against common opponents, whereas early and preseason rankings can really only be based on opinions.

I dunno. Pretty sure that last year he had some obscure team ranked #1 for much of the non-conference schedule which wound up not even making the tourney. So much of his algorithm relies on performance against common opponents.
only three teams claimed the top spot in the KenPom rankings last year, and they were all from a major conference: he had Kentucky from the bell until they lost to Indiana, at which point Wisconsin took over until they dropped several in a row, then it went to Ohio State who held it until mid-February when Kentucky took over again (and Ohio St. took one more week after the conference tourneys, but UK reclaimed it during the NCAAT).

tOSU was never ranked below 3rd
UK was never lower than 6th
Wiscy was never lower than 7th

SU, by the way, was between 3 and 7 all season long.

Speaking of Wiscy, Josh Gasser is out for the year. Saw that a few days ago, was named starter 2 days prior. Too bad.

I dunno. Pretty sure that last year he had some obscure team ranked #1 for much of the non-conference schedule which wound up not even making the tourney. So much of his algorithm relies on performance against common opponents, whereas early and preseason rankings can really only be based on opinions.

I think you are confusing RPI with Pomeroy.

Yeah as mentioned above, I'm almost positive you're confusing Pomeroy with someone else, maybe the RPI.

Kentucky was the #1 team from the preseason until they lost to IU on December 3, at which point Wisconsin took over for a few weeks (his system may be flawed when it comes to them, but they certainly made the tourmament and can't be considered obscure.).

Went back to 2011 also, just to check that; the #1's in Nov and Dec were Kansas and Duke.

Are out. SU is #7, and first in the BE. Wisconsin is #5, so its probably safe to assume t hey are overrted and we're really #6. I think thats the highest ranking I've seen?

Discuss

the highest i've seen syracuse ranked in the preseason polls so far is we got 4th in msnbc's ranking. we've also finished 5th and 6th in some other major polls. the lowest i've seen us in around 16 or 17th. but for the most part we are almost always in that 6-10 range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom