Portal Needs? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Portal Needs?

All the last 3 teams he has been on run base 4-3 but all varies off that. We couldnt get dt because we couldnt recruit period. if every other team could why cant us with the best guy. i get we aint getting 5* dt but a few 4* and a 3 or so will work. If he brings Orgeron, who is a phenomemel dline coach, we could easily pull it off.

I think the line play at the top end of the ACC is 1st round NFL talent, and we aren't going to be able to compete with that. I think we need to use speed and pursuit to make up for physical shortcomings, compared to the truly elite teams, with our defense.

I think the 3-4 is a hell of a defense for a program like SU. It's more solid against the run than the 3-3-5. You can use a more physical defense, essentially trading a safety/rover for an extra linebacker to defend the run.

I seem to maybe remember Mac running it at times, in addition to Parcell's Giants, when he started those 4 LBs whose pictures were painted on the wall at that club on Patterson Plank Road, if you happen to know the place ...

OL and QB. I really want to upgrade the OL enough that we can get a dual threat QB whose arm is better than his legs.

I think the line play at the top end of the ACC is 1st round NFL talent, and we aren't going to be able to compete with that. I think we need to use speed and pursuit to make up for physical shortcomings, compared to the truly elite teams, with our defense.

I think the 3-4 is a hell of a defense for a program like SU. It's more solid against the run than the 3-3-5. You can use a more physical defense, essentially trading a safety/rover for an extra linebacker to defend the run.

I seem to maybe remember Mac running it at times, in addition to Parcell's Giants, when he started those 4 LBs whose pictures were painted on the wall at that club on Patterson Plank Road, if you happen to know the place ...
I agree but not in a spread application. Remember 1 backer has to be basically a safety andlb at same time. Im telling u we can get some big guys.

Sorry to reply to myself, but I wanted to add that the 3-4 and the 3-3-5 are not the same thing.

The Giants under Parcells, at one point, played a 3-4 base defense. Of course, the outside right LB was Lawrence Taylor, so he always posed the rush threat of a 4 man line.

The main difference between the 3-4 and the 3-3-5 is that the 3-3-5 stacks the LBs behind linemen, and move them around to create uncertainty for the offensive linemen as to who to block.

In the 3-3-5, the Rover, this year Barron, was like a safety who followed the keys on a play.

In the 3-4, you are trading the rover safety/LB hybrid player, for essentially 2 inside LBs, and 2 on the ends who have to be able to drop into coverage, while also posing a blitz threat. You have greater width to defend the flats and the wide runs, and you still can play a 2 deep zone with the safeties.

Having 2 ILBs shores up our run defense, and allows the safeties to play a bit deeper.

You only have 3 down linemen, like we have now, reducing the need to recruit extra linemen, who are not growing on trees. It's not as unpredictable, but it's a stable baseline defense that would be a good transition from "gimmick defense" to a bit more traditional defense.

When Thompson was in we basically played a 4 man front. Our 3-3-5 isn't a simple stack like WV used to run.

Having 5 quality DBs and depth is just as hard as having 4 quality DLs and depth. Also IMO you are more likely to find a diamond at DL than DB. Skill guys are easier to ID.

We had no problem having a solid D under Shafer, just because Dino's DC stunk doesn't mean we cannot play 4 guys. Heck Shafer's system might be the ideal. Attacking 4-3 as the base and 3-2-6 on passing downs or vs pass happy teams.

Also I think you can grow players at DL and LB. You cannot at DB. You can grow a S into a LB. You can grow a LB into a DE. You can grow a DE into a DT.

Our CBs were a weakness this year and could be next year too. We had one weak leak at S, and now have to replace 2 starters for next season (if we stayed with the 3-3-5).

Our DL has depth but they were used like 3 DTs this year. Part of that might have been who we had to use and/or it could have been Long.

Can someone who knows more than me explain why the portal opens so early? The bowls other than playoff are already so devalued with so many sitting out, and now portal entries take away even more players. Why not have it open, say December 31st or something?

Can someone who knows more than me explain why the portal opens so early? The bowls other than playoff are already so devalued with so many sitting out, and now portal entries take away even more players. Why not have it open, say December 31st or something?
Because the semester ends and kids should be able to make as informed decision as possible if they want to make a mid year transfer.

Sorry to reply to myself, but I wanted to add that the 3-4 and the 3-3-5 are not the same thing.

The Giants under Parcells, at one point, played a 3-4 base defense. Of course, the outside right LB was Lawrence Taylor, so he always posed the rush threat of a 4 man line.

The main difference between the 3-4 and the 3-3-5 is that the 3-3-5 stacks the LBs behind linemen, and move them around to create uncertainty for the offensive linemen as to who to block.

In the 3-3-5, the Rover, this year Barron, was like a safety who followed the keys on a play.

In the 3-4, you are trading the rover safety/LB hybrid player, for essentially 2 inside LBs, and 2 on the ends who have to be able to drop into coverage, while also posing a blitz threat. You have greater width to defend the flats and the wide runs, and you still can play a 2 deep zone with the safeties.

Having 2 ILBs shores up our run defense, and allows the safeties to play a bit deeper.

You only have 3 down linemen, like we have now, reducing the need to recruit extra linemen, who are not growing on trees. It's not as unpredictable, but it's a stable baseline defense that would be a good transition from "gimmick defense" to a bit more traditional defense.
Holy Wikipedia Batman, someone gave imatt Google for his birthday!

Yeah back in the day but now its (3-4) isnt used as much because of the rpo. situationally oncein a blue moon but not normally. leaves passing game wideopen. need to stop run hat for hat, not extra hats.

Yeah back in the day but now its (3-4) isnt used as much because of the rpo. situationally oncein a blue moon but not normally. leaves passing game wideopen. need to stop run hat for hat, not extra hats.

Yeah, but I think it would work great vs. RPO. You already have built-in contain from playing 4 LBs instead of 3. You have guys responsible for both the flats, plus the corners.

Yeah, but I think it would work great vs. RPO. You already have built-in contain from playing 4 LBs instead of 3. You have guys responsible for both the flats, plus the corners.
Generally the 3-4 is a five man line with 2 backers with strong and weak side. lb outside r really ends up on line with 2 gap nt and 2 dt usually 3-i technique so u dont have the pass coverage for the rpo. run and option would be covered easily.

Some kind of nickel look. I heard somewhere, can’t remember where sorry, 3 true down lineman, one hybrid DE/OLB, two inside type linebackers and five defensive backs. I imagine someone like Clark would spend a lot of time in the slot.

#1 portal need right now is the HC you hired putting together a staff to work the portal that opens 12/4 and not coaching at Georgia still.
Are you going to pollute every thread with the same tantrum? Especially considering that none of us know if Saturday is his last game on the Bulldog staff.

#1 portal need right now is the HC you hired putting together a staff to work the portal that opens 12/4 and not coaching at Georgia still.
Add to that the current staff of coaches is going to stay to coach the team for the bowl game which is 3 weeks away while many of them will be getting interviews or maybe hired by other programs.

Are you going to pollute every thread with the same tantrum? Especially considering that none of us know if Saturday is his last game on the Bulldog staff.
Don't you ever get tired with this everything is fine attitude? I actually like winning and not in it for a participation trophy because that's how a lot of people act.

Not even going to get into the office dove side of the ball. The needs are overwhelming there. QB, OT, OG, WR(s).

On defense though I would like to see a marquee corner brought in. I like Bellamy and thought he came on well at the end of the year but I didn’t get the sense there was much depth at Corner behind he and Johnson. Maybe I’m wrong here, but just how I felt. DL could use 4 or so more bodies.

Don't you ever get tired with this everything is fine attitude? I actually like winning and not in it for a participation trophy because that's how a lot of people act.
Its not nearly as bad as ur thinking. His staff will be out recruiting while our team practices with the current coaches. u have to know he is doing all he can. He knows the severity of the situation.

3 Dave W level OL

1 grad transfer or upper classmen Qb (If Williams looks like a real deal you can stop there)

if necessary hi potential qb with 2 or 3 years

Keep the core out of the portal

1 rush de

1 corner

1 safety

1 wr that can be #1 and not just another dude, plenty of decent but not all conference types all ready.

The portal strategy is going to depend on Brown's‘ evaluation of the recruiting class and the roster and who wants to stay.

I see very low risk that the roster will be weaker than the one that started this season. There are tons of kids comparable to Villari, Gould, Dave W, and Ingraham out there that are ACC caliber that want to play 1st and get NIL second. SU still has to play money ball. Address the depth issue on OL and get replacement level guys elsewhere and the team will be better positioned than the start of this year. The cluster of injuries to the top of the OL really derailed the season.

Brown’s opportunity to improve the roster significantly is who can he flip from HS and can he pull two or three impact players from the portal. Flip some 4’s and portal in some former high fours and fives and we are having a different conversation.