Andrew Armstrong

Troy Henderson

Shy Cullen

Tim Walton

Nadarius Fagan

Ryan Guthrie

Kareem Trotter

Tyrrell Richard's

This is a list of all our LB heading into the season. To me this seems like an absurd amount at the linebacker position. Some of these kids will have to be moved to other positions right? If so any guesses?

maybe not. Maybe it means that we can redshirt Richards and Trotter (and Fagan?) while still having solid guys for special teams? Maybe we finally are building depth ( at least at LB).

Florange44

I think Babers is happy with that number. Two can redshirt and the back ups will form the core of the special team units.

Just seems like alot. Also alot of good kids that I wouldn't mind seeing get some run. Shy, Walton, Henderson.

maybe not. Maybe it means that we can redshirt Richards and Trotter (and Fagan?) while still having solid guys for special teams? Maybe we finally are building depth ( at least at LB).

Florange44

Too much depth at LB means you're suffering somewhere else with the 85 scholarship number.

I don't know the right number, but for a 4-3, I'd assume it's about 9? LBs aren't rotated in and out as much as, say DL.

Too much depth at LB means you're suffering somewhere else with the 85 scholarship number.

I don't know the right number, but for a 4-3, I'd assume it's about 9? LBs aren't rotated in and out as much as, say DL.

If there are positions to have extra, I'd say LB/TE and mid-tier, bigger athletes might be a good one for special teams. Not all 85 players can get on the depth chart.

We should shirt the incoming 3 and make sure shy, Henderson, and Walton get a legit look. Yes, nice depth. Shy and walton can be difference makers.

Speaking of position change not sure if it was mentioned but Sam Heckel will be playing center unless things change soon.

If there are positions to have extra, I'd say LB/TE and mid-tier, bigger athletes might be a good one for special teams. Not all 85 players can get on the depth chart.
HCDB said this exact thing in his presser last week. They like LB's because of their ability run and can be used on specials.

Last edited:
you always play 4-5 in most every game. and 2-3 play on ST all the time. some teams lost all their starters last year so we were lucky to make it threw the season last year.. look what happened to the Dline by seasons ends

Guys, for once this is a good problem to have. Too much depth? What are we complaining about? I wish every position had this problem.

Speaking of position change not sure if it was mentioned but Sam Heckel will be playing center unless things change soon.
He was listed as the backup center on the depth chart week's 1 & 2 last year.

Trotter will def red shirt. He tore his ACL this season.

I feel like there was some talk of trotter switching to Safety? I could be wrong tho

Trotter will def red shirt. He tore his ACL this season.

This. With that depth at LB, and him coming off the ACL, there's a zero point zero chance of him playing as a Frosh.

We're losing GM II (and I'm sure some other guys) from ST's, so at a minimum all the LB's who don't make the 2-deep, are very likely to play specials.

Happy problems.

10-12 seems about right and you have three seniors, so you're back down to 8 next year. They'll bring in 1 or 2 more next cycle.

Kids entering need to redshirt unless they're special kids. But the backs ups are good on specials, as you need the bigger bodies that can run.

Trotter is most definitely a redshirt.

Numbers seem right to me.

You would also think that they would redshirt Tyrell over Fagan if they had to pick one. Fagan is a more polished football player with an early start.

You would also think that they would redshirt Tyrell over Fagan if they had to pick one. Fagan is a more polished football player with an early start.
Plus Fagan is already on campus.

Or maybe...Fagan plays right away because he's a Jan enrollee and will participate in spring fb?

This. With that depth at LB, and him coming off the ACL, there's a zero point zero chance of him playing as a Frosh.

We're losing GM II (and I'm sure some other guys) from ST's, so at a minimum all the LB's who don't make the 2-deep, are very likely to play specials.

Happy problems.
I wouldn't say there is a zero percent chance on Trotter playing. On signing day, the coaches snippets said he has a chance to come in and help us this year. I thought that was interesting as I assumed he would redshirt too. Seems with the numbers that it will happen to a couple of them and with his injury it just makes sense that he would be one to get the shirt. Unless he looks healthy and they really like him as an OLB/SAFETY hybrid to play snaps at the nickel.

Assuming no injuries at LB this spring, we have added Guthrie and Walton as he will be off his shirt. The only guy we lost was Alryk Perry and I don't think he really got on the field. I'd say just play one of the freshman and we've added 3 linebackers that can play on specials. I'd say either Fagan plays as he is already on campus or possibly Tyrell Richards. if they feel he is the heir apparent at MLB I wouldn't be surprised if they want him to get some snaps this year so he can run the show on defense next year.