Positive about MCW | Syracusefan.com

Positive about MCW

skurey

Living Legend
He is very good at stealing the ball when the opponent is trying to throw it in from under their own basket. I believe Rautins was very good at this as well.

Another note about MCW - do you think after watching tonight's game he maybe got the memo about not trying to pad his stat line so much? I didn't realize it, but up until he hit that three, he had apparently only taken 2 or 3 shots all game.

I thought his demeanor was much more stoic.

Another note about MCW - do you think after watching tonight's game he maybe got the memo about not trying to pad his stat line so much? I didn't realize it, but up until he hit that three, he had apparently only taken 2 or 3 shots all game.
It really seemed to me that he was making conscious effort throughout the game to defer shooting in favor of passing.

Our team went back to playing the way they looked in the Detroit video I posted last night. Very refreshing.

MCW gave off a different vibe tonight. Me thinks he had a talk.
big time, showed heart and character
i know he has this, he's just too competitive

Yes, a nice game for MCW, but he only had 5 pts and it was CJ who had a double-double.

Yes, a nice game for MCW, but he only had 5 pts and it was CJ who had a double-double.
I also think he had more bench time than just about any other game this season.

Take that for what it's worth.

His shots were fewer...and his assists were more plentiful than in recent games. I'm sure players were happier. I sure was.

I will take this game every day from MCW. A lot of little things, had a few lapses giving up some open three tries not getting there in time, but beyond that was all over the court.
Steals, rebounding, 8 assists. Just hustled and played hard end to end.

MCW has many positives to his game. Consistent control and patience added to his game will take him to even another level.

Although not many pts tonight, he had 8 assists, 3 steals, and importantly only 1 TO. Also, he got some bench time to give Cooney a chance, which is good to rest MCW a bit each game.

Also, once again CJ had his consistent MVP type game.

MCW sat out for a good chunk of time in the first half. When he came back in, he seemed to let the game come to him more than he has the last few games. He still forced a bad shot in the second half, but he limited the out-of-control plays tonight.

It is easy to forget that MCW has only been in this role for 22 games, only 10 of which were against BCS competition (to which we could add the game against Temple, where he was less than stellar). He is still developing as a player--he has some great tools, but he still needs the repetitions and coaching to reach his potential. He needs to work on some technical skills (using his left hand, jump-stopping in traffic, developing his shooting), some tactical skills (reading the pick and roll when the defense hard hedges, not forcing bad shots, being patient), and getting stronger. However, if and when it all clicks, he is going to be a special player. I just wonder if that will happen while he is still in a Syracuse uniform.

I also thought it looked like he was doing a good job running/directing the offense when he was in tonight as well.
There were a number of times it looked like he was telling guys where to go and to generate movement.
He definitely took on more of the point guard role instead of trying to put it on his own back.

I also thought it looked like he was doing a good job running/directing the offense when he was in tonight as well.
There were a number of times it looked like he was telling guys where to go and to generate movement.
He definitely took on more of the point guard role instead of trying to put it on his own back.
I also noticed, along those lines, our offense looked like it had a lot more movement in the halfcourt set than we've seen recently. There was pretty constant motion from the people off the ball, which hasn't always been the case in our more stagnant stretches recently.

MCW sat out for a good chunk of time in the first half. When he came back in, he seemed to let the game come to him more than he has the last few games. He still forced a bad shot in the second half, but he limited the out-of-control plays tonight.

It is easy to forget that MCW has only been in this role for 22 games, only 10 of which were against BCS competition (to which we could add the game against Temple, where he was less than stellar). He is still developing as a player--he has some great tools, but he still needs the repetitions and coaching to reach his potential. He needs to work on some technical skills (using his left hand, jump-stopping in traffic, developing his shooting), some tactical skills (reading the pick and roll when the defense hard hedges, not forcing bad shots, being patient), and getting stronger. However, if and when it all clicks, he is going to be a special player. I just wonder if that will happen while he is still in a Syracuse uniform.
I think I need to ask the question that's been on all of our minds.
Coach, that you?
:)

MCW was definitely a different ball player tonight, obviously consciously deciding to go back to making assists. I thought it was a "directive" from JB, but on the radio just now they said that JB seemed "a little surprised" that MCW played the way he did. (Huh?)

When they huddled up just before the second half, they seemed subdued and then they walked listlessly back to their seats to listen to JB. They looked quite droopy. Did anyone else see that? But then they played very well in the second half, so - so much for my ability to read body language.

I don't understand why MCW doesn't run the ball down the court more often. I know it's got to be because of Boeheim's orders, but I don't get it. We let the defense set up! I brought this up once before on the forum, and I think someone gave me a good answer, but I can't remember what it was. It is very frustrating to watch in person, and others in my section were frustrated with it also.

I am very pleased that we extended our home court winning streak and that we soundly thrashed an opponent - any opponent! Go SU!

It is easy to forget that MCW has only been in this role for 22 games, only 10 of which were against BCS competition

BCS? Still thinking football? I understand.

Our team went back to playing the way they looked in the Detroit video I posted last night. Very refreshing.

getting the ball inside?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom